Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"Fly Rod"?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"Fly Rod"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Fly Rod"?

I came across an old kit called a "Fly Rod" the other day... Im not quite sure what it even is. the fuselage is a carbon rod, hence the name, but I don't know anything else about it. I think its an old 3d style plane that was around befor 3d was... well... 3d.
Im just trying to find pictures, advice, tips and tricks, or just general info about this plane. Can't seem to find anything about it on google search.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:28 PM
WaffleMan

Originally Posted by WaffleMan
I came across an old kit called a "Fly Rod" the other day... Im not quite sure what it even is. the fuselage is a carbon rod, hence the name, but I don't know anything else about it. I think its an old 3d style plane that was around befor 3d was... well... 3d.
Im just trying to find pictures, advice, tips and tricks, or just general info about this plane. Can't seem to find anything about it on google search.
Here's a pic of the box
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1919259  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What does the finer print say?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM
WaffleMan

Originally Posted by 3136
What does the finer print say?
Something about being a high performance innovative fun-fly aerobatic plane.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

These were made by friends of mine in the early 90's, GT Generix was name of co. They were designed as cheap quick simple competition fun fly planes. Most guys used 25 to 32 size engines, not designed to fly fast, but to do quick in close manuevers. Very fast loops, touch and goes, ect
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM
WaffleMan

Originally Posted by ronwc
These were made by friends of mine in the early 90's, GT Generix was name of co. They were designed as cheap quick simple competition fun fly planes. Most guys used 25 to 32 size engines, not designed to fly fast, but to do quick in close manuevers. Very fast loops, touch and goes, ect
So what size 4-stroke would I want to use? .40 to .50?
I have had a few different two strokes, and I don't really feel like messing around with a two stroke. a 4-stroke is what I want to use.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

The plane was designed to use a 25 to 32 two stroke with a fine pitch prop, like a 9x5 or 10x4 or 11x4 - a lot of pull with low airspeed. The plane will not take any speed, or will flutter with the big control surfaces. I guess you could use a four stroke, maybe a 40, but not really designed for that.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
WaffleMan

I will have to think about it. I have an O.S. 25 two-stroke I could stick on there... I will see what kind of engine I want once its built. Might even go electric, who knows.

Do you have any pics of what these things look like? a google search reveals nothing, not even anything about the company. Im guessing they are out of business?

Last edited by WaffleMan; 09-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by WaffleMan
I will have to think about it. I have an O.S. 25 two-stroke I could stick on there... I will see what kind of engine I want once its built. Might even go electric, who knows.

Do you have any pics of what these things look like? a google search reveals nothing, not even anything about the company. Im guessing they are out of business?

It probably looks similar to this:

http://www.diamonddustrc.com/glow_mo..._Unlimited.htm