Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hog Bipe ?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hog Bipe ?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:42 AM
TomH
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog Bipe ?

Getting ready to build my hog and got a question about engine selection, this will be my first bipe, I am a sport flier, its all about getting away and enjoying rc for me not in to 3D (yet). i have a Saito 100 twin that I would like to put in this plane. I am figuring on putting the rudder & Elev. servos in the tail to offset weight. engine weights right at 29oz. I think the twin would look pretty cool on this bipe. but I dont want it to compromize the flying qualities of this plane especially being my first bipe. I have a O.S. 91 surpass II and a YZ91 that could also use. any thoughts would be helpful, or another bipe maybe for that engine, the SkyBolt is another favorite of mine. Just wanting to move up to biplanes
T
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend had a Hog Bipe with a OS .91 4S, it was a nice sport plane. If you can find one, the Goldberg Ultimate with a DLE 20 for motivation will really rock and roll!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
stevegauth30

It would be awesome, if it will fit. Certainly an over kill, especially for sport flying. You'll really have to manage the throttle. I had one that flew really well on a Kb .61. I would have liked a bit more power, but it flew good still. If your a proficient pilot and not your second plane then I would do it. Either way you go, you should really enjoy it. A great flying plane for sure. Steve.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

10 or 15 years ago the hog was a very popular plane, I did build one for a friend, the engine used most often in my area was the OS .91fs and it really wasn't a lot of over kill. I have never had one of the 100 twins but I'm betting it will be a very good combo. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 AM
stevegauth30

Your probably right grey beard. I was just thinking " TWIN" but 91 to 100 isn't very far off. Not an over kill, just the upper end of the power range. I'm sure it would fly like a raped ape.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Just bear in mind that the Saito 1.00 twin will give you less power than the OS .91 and it weighs about 6 oz more. The YS will give you the most power but the OS 91 will probably be the most user-friendly.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Just bear in mind that the Saito 1.00 twin will give you less power than the OS .91 and it weighs about 6 oz more. The YS will give you the most power but the OS 91 will probably be the most user-friendly.
This is very true and I'm a YS guy myself but the Hog doesn't require a huge amount of power and a twin just looks so much cooler. The beauty of the YS is the tank location can be anyplace it will fit in a plane. The YS is also a heavy engine. Last Saito twin I worked on {tuned} was in a Cub and I liked the smoothness of it, there was a lot less vibration. I had nothing to do with the building or setting up of this plane and the owner installed an on board glow system too. Tough call on what engine to use but one I would like to have. Either or, I have never seen the YS used in one but it fits in with my thinking, to much power is just about right. I would still lean towards the twin as long as it's a good runner.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 AM
CanDo

I didn't mention before that I had a Astro Hog (mono plane) with a OS .91; it had enough power to climb vertically for at least 300 feet. The .91 will fit easily, it's a very reliable motor and will pull your plane through some serious aerobatics! BTW, I put an APC 13x8 prop on it.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Hog Bipe with a Saito 100 but not the twin, Great combo on this plane but use throttle control but the power is there if I need it, I think the twin would be great, A lot of people have had different grades of balsa in there kits, When I built mine I built it at a friends house (We both worked nights at the time) And we both built them together and the wood between the kits was amazing at the weight differences so we split the heavy and lighter balsa between them, But the Hog can handle the weight easily so the twin will be fine and moving the servo's to the rear will help with balance, When you get it done with the twin I sure hope you post some photos so we all can drool a little over it.

Dauntae
Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM
TomH
My Feedback: (4)

I wish I could find the past post on here but someone has done it and added pics. It looked great, that is what is so awesome about this forum, by the time I think about it's been done.