Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 Build

Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rczippy
Tom,

Where did you get the adapter for servo?
My RDS adapter was machined by a friend. As such, it is manufactured with the use of unobtanium. LOL

A unit purchased from the link that you posted would be fine. I believe that Tower has a version, too.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Glad to help, I just wish the had a longer option it isn't going to work for my elevator application. I got the plans out last night.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 AM
rczippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have been looking for a linkage system for my elevator on the Ryan SC-W project. The horizontal stabilizer passes thru the vertical stabilizer and the linkage is designed to be mounted inside the vertical stab. The RDS II system may be just what I need.
Not knowing what your plans look like could you make a torque rod that inserts into the leading edge of the elevator solder a vertical piece to extend into the fuse. Then the servo and linage would be inside the tail of the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevator.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1937032  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Not knowing what your plans look like could you make a torque rod that inserts into the leading edge of the elevator solder a vertical piece to extend into the fuse. Then the servo and linage would be inside the tail of the plane.
Thanks RCZippy! That is what I am using to link the two elevators. Its the tight bends of the pushrod going up from the fuselage and into the vertical stab and then connecting to the elevators that has me concerned.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM
rczippy

Default Stab Completion

As promised here are some progress pictures with a little narrative. The pictures are in order. The first shows the stab with the elevator ready to be sheeted on the top. Next, the stab tips and elevator balance tabs were glued on. I taped the elevator all with way around with painting tape so i could plane and shape the tip and balance tab to match without touching the stab and elevator. I then removed the tap and tack glued a scrap pice of balsa on each end to hold the stab tip in alignment with the balance tab and then shaped/rounded the tip and balance tab. The final picture shows the stab finish sanded with no balsa filler yet. I don't think i am going to need much.

Name:	DSC01408.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1937164   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01410.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1937165   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01412.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1937166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01415.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1937167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01416.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1937168  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
rczippy

Default Fin and Rudder Progress

Nothing really interesting here but the pictures show the fin and rudder going together. The first picture shows the top skin being installed on the ski. I then flipped it over, installed the wiring conduit for the lighting system then sheeted the other side. The rudder was an easy part that went together quick. Finally the finished fin/rudder is show in the last picture.

Name:	DSC01460.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1937169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01461.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1937170   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01462.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1937171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01524.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1937172  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 PM
rczippy

Default And the Wings

The wings took a bit of time to make sure all was straight and aligned correctly. I first built the center section then followed up with the left wing panel. During this part you have to be very careful of the instructions because the left wing is really build upside down over the right wing plan. So when you are reading the manual and they refer to top and bottom, left and right you really have to be thinking! I still have a bit more work to do on the left wing before i move on to the right. I need to install servo mounting blocks, wiring conduit for servo and lighting. The right wing is next and then joining the wing panels. I am actually going to have to join them on another table because this bench is not big enough!! The kit comes with wing jigs that will ensure accurate dihedral and washout but a large flat surface is needed.

Name:	DSC01525.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1937185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01519.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1937186  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
rczippy

Default Lighting discussion topic

The next thing i am going to be looking for some advice on is a lighting system. I have found a few out there ranging in price from $35 to $250. Anyone have any first hand input? I want to do the full lighting package: Left, right, and tail nav lights, left and right wing beacon, fin beacon, and landing lights. Am i missing any? I am not sure if there is a beacon on the belly of the fuse or not.

Also from pictures is looks like some models of the 182 have the landing lights in the cowl under the prop and others have it in the left wing. I am going to go for the left wing as this location matches up with the paint scheme i have chosen.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Your build is coming out nice and clean. It's enjoyable to watch.

If you're going to a scale representation of the exterior lights, there are regulations on their positions based on their visibility and intensity. The basics (and probably more than you need to know) are here:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2020-30B/$FILE/AC20-30B.pdf

Keep in mind that these are the minimum amount of lights required, but many owners install more beyond the minimum. For this particular design, there are position lights for night operations are:

- left wing tip, red light
- right wing tip, green light
- tail-facing light, white

An anti-collision light(s) is required for day and night operations. In the case of the Cessna C-182, the vertical stab mounted anti-collision light satisfies the visibility requirement, no belly light is required. A landing light is required for night operations. The position and number of landing lights (beyond one) is not regulated - just the visibility/intensity. It seems that the later model Cessnas have the landing light(s) mounted on the engine cowl, the earlier models on the wing leading edge(s).

I think the addition of lights to a scale model is a nice touch.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM
straitnickel

[QUOTE=rczippy;11628606]Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to the hobby. I want to start a Build Log / Discussion for the Top Flite Cessna 182 to track my progress and also get suggestions from the pros on the forum. I have been flying RC planes for a bout 1 year and this will be my 3rd kit build. I built my first kit many years ago but never flew it until recently. My last kit was a Sig 1/6 Scale J3 Cub covered in Solartex. It took about 8 months to complete to my liking.

I purchased the Top Flite Cessna 182 kit yesterday and hope to have it in my hands next week. The Specs on the Kit are as follows.

Wingspan: 81 in (2055 mm)
Wing Area: 906 in² (58.4 dm²)
Weight: 10-12 lb (4540-5440 g)
Wing Loading: 23-28 oz/ft² (70-85 g/dm²)
Fuselage Length: 64.5 in (1635 mm)
Engine Required: 2-stroke .61-.91 cu in or 4-stroke .91-1.20 cu in
Radio Required: 4-5 channel w/5-7 servos

Here are a few design decisions that i believe i have made
1.) Engine: Evolution 20GX (20cc) Gas
2.) Fiberglass finish
3.) Upgrade landing gear to Robart Front landing gear
4.) Scale Landing and Nav lights
5.) Scale Flap hinging (Anyone know if flaps on the full scale 182 are fowler flaps?)
6.) install some sort of conduit for lighting and servo wiring through the wings and fuse.

Can anyone provide some comments on the "decisions" I have made. I will start to post pictures as i build and am sure i will have a lot more questions[/

Last edited by straitnickel; 11-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM
rczippy

Originally Posted by straitnickel
yes the flaps are fowler type rczippy
This was discussed earlier in the thread with much debate. I want to tread lightly on this subject but from what i gathered i believe that the full scale plane had flaps that moved back and down. Whether or not these are "fowler flaps" i don't know.

So the question remains would the Robart Fowler Flap Hinge (http://www.robart.com/products/fowle...hinge-15-scale) be a better sale representation of the real flaps compared to the Robart Hinge Points (http://www.robart.com/products/18-st...inge-points-15) installed in the bottom of the wing TE and Bottom of the flap LE.

Unfortunately i have to make this decision soon as if i go with with Fowler hinge i have to install prior to sheeting the wing

Any suggestions guys?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
rczippy

Originally Posted by EJWash1
Your build is coming out nice and clean. It's enjoyable to watch.

If you're going to a scale representation of the exterior lights, there are regulations on their positions based on their visibility and intensity. The basics (and probably more than you need to know) are here:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2020-30B/$FILE/AC20-30B.pdf

Keep in mind that these are the minimum amount of lights required, but many owners install more beyond the minimum. For this particular design, there are position lights for night operations are:

- left wing tip, red light
- right wing tip, green light
- tail-facing light, white

An anti-collision light(s) is required for day and night operations. In the case of the Cessna C-182, the vertical stab mounted anti-collision light satisfies the visibility requirement, no belly light is required. A landing light is required for night operations. The position and number of landing lights (beyond one) is not regulated - just the visibility/intensity. It seems that the later model Cessnas have the landing light(s) mounted on the engine cowl, the earlier models on the wing leading edge(s).

I think the addition of lights to a scale model is a nice touch.
Thanks EJWash.

From the pictures i can dig up it appears that most cessna 182 also have anti-collision lights on the wing tips 1/3 to 1/2 from the leading edge. The nav lights are usually on the front corner of the wing tip. If you look back at my picture i posted for the paint scheme there are no lights in the cowl, but the picture cuts off the wings so you cant see where the landing lights are. All pictures i have seen its the left wing about mid span. Do you know what color the anti-collision light is on the vertical stab?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
straitnickel

that would depend on which year your planning in building, through the years they started off in the wings and later moved to the cowl. and as far as anti collision lights they are clear strobes or red rotating beacons also depends on which year your depicting.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
straitnickel

the #345 hinges are going to look best
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
kevs182

Hi. Don't mean to re-ignite the flap debate but as a Unity Scale (wink) C-182 owner I thought I'd chime in. The Cessna pilot operating handbook (POH) refers to the flaps as "single-slot." Nowhere in the POH does the word Fowler show up. But insofar as the flaps do translate aft for the first 10 degrees of travel, some people take to calling them "Slotted Semi-Fowler Flaps." As you might guess from the pics posted early on, increase in wing area is negligible but it's there. I do suppose most of the increased lift when the flaps translate aft comes from the slots opening up.

Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming.:-)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=rczippy;11656438]The next thing i am going to be looking for some advice on is a lighting system. I have found a few out there ranging in price from $35 to $250. Anyone have any first hand input? I want to do the full lighting package:
]

I like the Electrodynamics light sets. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml They are on the pricey side, but they are high quality units.

I have them in my Cessna 195, and I'm in the process of installing them in my current build, a Ryan Brougham.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Do you know what color the anti-collision light is on the vertical stab?
Yes, it's red, and is required to either rotate or flash on and off.

The anti-collision lights you're referring to on the wing tips are a modern day addition, and are sometimes a remodeled feature on an older aircraft. These are white flashing strobe lights. Not required according to the regs, but is an effective additional safety feature. Nice effect on a model.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM
fred985

the full scale has fowler flaps,,,all 180s right back to the first tail draggers had them.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Zippy, are you going to add landing lights? I checked out the local tool stores like Harbor Freight and found some single AA cell flashlights perfect to cannibalize for landing light reflectors for the Cessna cowling. They ran me a whole 17 cents. I think I'll go back and buy some spares. The LEDs in my RAM set fit perfectly into the whole for the bulb. If you can't find any let me know and I'll pick you up a couple. I'm using the RAM #121 navigation lights and the #122 landing lights. I will be powering them with a small 2 cell LiPo battery. You can get more power from a LiPo at a lower weight then a 9v. alkaline battery.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
straitnickel

I know I have gone thru all the post, along with lights for appearance how about antennas?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM
straitnickel

, I don't have a scale antenna myself, just an idea, but in past search's I have seen scale ones for sale somewhere and haven't been able successful in finding them again.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:16 PM
rczippy

I have not thought about that yet. I am focusing on lighting and servo mounting as these are the things that will hold me up from sheeting the wing.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I have gone thru all the post, along with lights for appearance how about antennas?
straitnickel.

I responded to your question about antennas before.
Somehow my posting is not showing.

If you have a receiver wih an antenna at the end of a coax you could duplicate an antenna on top of the cabin as seen in many full size airplane and have the antenna wire inside that duplicate antenna above the cabin.

Just an idea.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 11-09-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Clarifying my text
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump

Last edited by crankpin; 11-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
rczippy

that would depend on which year your planning in building, through the years they started off in the wings and later moved to the cowl. and as far as anti collision lights they are clear strobes or red rotating beacons also depends on which year your depicting.
After doing some digging i found the statement about the landing lights to be reversed. The later models have the landing lights in the Wings. Early models had them in the cowl.

My best guess is that the picture i posted early on for my paint scheme is about a 2000-2003 Cessna 182T. This will be what i will be looking at here on out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.