Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aviation Concepts PT-19

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aviation Concepts PT-19

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM
YellowBlueBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation Concepts PT-19

Has anyone built the Aviation Concepts PT-19? Searching for a build thread nothing showed up.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I just looked at it, very well-engineered. I may have to add it to my list!

http://hangtimes.com/fairchild_pt_19.html
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very, very nice looking product. I wish him the best with it but something tells me he won't sell enough of them to break even on the development costs. I hope I'm wrong about that but I don't think I will be.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a shame if that happens. It is a very beautiful aircraft and well equipped. I was lucky to get one of the old Dynaflite kits for a good price. Looks like you will have to by one yellowbird and start the thread.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple guys at my club are building them. They are both really happy with the kit.

I'll post some photos when they are completed.

SunDevilPilot
Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
YellowBlueBird

It would be nice to have some in progress pictures. Any comments that might help others with the build. Things to be aware of when you start etc.

I have three kits on the shelf. Hog Bipe, King Altair, Qwick Fly. One will get built this winter. But I do want a gas plane and this looks like the one. Would it possible take a twin?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Did anyone ever pick up one of these? Any comments, photos?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 AM
CafeenMan

I purchased the kit and a customer who bought a magnetic fixture set from me also bought the kit. I haven't started mine yet and would like to find a build thread before I start mine. I bought a DLE 30 RE for it but am wondering about a DLE 55 for it instead.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

So it seems like this wasn't too popular, even though no one has anything bad to say about it...
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM
CafeenMan

I'd say it's a "boutique" kit. The company doesn't exactly have bread and butter offerings - stuff under $100. It's a lot of work and will be expensive. It's definitely worth it for the person willing to do the work.

But the kit has pretty much everything going against it. First, as I said, it's expensive and a lot of work. Then nobody has ever heard of the company. Then it's not a P-51. Lastly, it's a short kit so the builder has to gather the rest of the kit.

Unfortunately I have to get some fixtures made or I won't be able to fill orders of my own but I'll be putting the kit in my shop this week to get it climatized but I can't promise I'll actually be getting it built any time soon. I really hope to but right now I have three builds I've started that I swore I was going to actually finish that are now pretty much abandoned and I really don't know why. I don't want this to be another and there's really no reason why I shouldn't just finish one of those I've already started instead. Two of those I've started only need to be finished.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM
YellowBlueBird

CafeenMan,
Keep us up on your build progress. At this time there are three almost finished models in my shop. All are in the final paint stage. One with sig dope, one with Randolph dope and one with duplicolor. The duplicolor one will be finished with a coat of two part automotive which has just been purchased. There is a quart of retardant on the way for the dope. It has been too humid to finish anything these past several weeks.

I may switch to gas just to solve the paint problem.

jerry
Old 09-25-2014, 11:43 AM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent Aviation Concepts an email inquiring about availability. I'm really interested in one. I had a Dynaflite PT-19 back in the day and flew my Dad's Hostetler version for him. They really are great flyers and I like the idea of building one with flaps. I'd like something to relax with at fly-ins and simpler than my giant scale WW2 stuff.

Could you comment on the quality of the kit. How's the glass work and is it sturdy, laser cutting good? I know you haven't started yet so you probably haven't seen how it matches the plans.

I'm curious about the landing gear. The site says use Robarts but I can only find Dynaflite replacements not the type shown on the Aviation Concepts web page that have a 90 degree mounting flange.

Any info would be appreciated. If I decide to get one, I'd do a build thread this winter. Right now it's the best flying time of the year here in Illinois. Warm, sunny, calm, clear and no humidity. No building until winter gets close.

Thanks guys.

Bill
Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Build thread here for those interested: http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=21426&PN=2
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 AM
CafeenMan