Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Transferring laser pattern to plywood

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Transferring laser pattern to plywood

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring laser pattern to plywood

Hello everyone,

I've read back through a bunch of posts about transferring laser printed tracings to wood, and it seems the most popular way is with heat via an iron.

I've tried my sealing iron set to high as well as "borrowing" the wife's iron set to as hot as it would go, and I can barely get a faint transfer. I've heated it so hot that it started to warp the plywood, but could not get the paper to start turning brown as one post said.

I know there you can use transfer paper, but I'm trying to do something 41 inches long, so transfer paper isn't an option.

Any hints or ideas??

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

spray glue the paper onto some sheet of oak tag, or another light cardboard, then cut it out with scissors and trace it. Probably you best bet at this point.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard of taking a fresh copy from a copier, then do the iron trick with that. The fresh ink will come off on the wood.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have heard of taking a fresh copy from a copier, then do the iron trick with that. The fresh ink will come off on the wood.
Also, if you are the ability to produce it on a copier or print it out of a laser printer, set the print as dark as you can go. This will lay down more toner on the paper. Turn the paper over and place on the wood and then heat it with your iron.

Ken
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do as food stick and just use spray mount glue and glue the sheet to the wood,cut proud of the line then sand to the line itself.
I have heard of laying the ink side of the printed paper onto the wood and rubbing it down with acetone to transfer the ink. Never tried it but read about it here on RCU.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:00 AM
abbott915

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I ended up spraying some adhesive to the ply, putting the pattern down and cutting it out. Then traced around it with a fine pencil, pulled the paper off and cut it out.

Worked pretty well, but time consuming.

I have most of the lite ply parts in cadd now for laser cutting, but wanted to make a test run before spending the money on laser cutting.

I have a few spots to touch up to make sure it all goes together.

Next is laying out all the balsa parts and doing it all again.