Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering an under cambered wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering an under cambered wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Covering an under cambered wing

I have almost ready to cover a Ben Buckle kit of a Lanzo Record Breaker. This is a huge old timer kit. It has an under cambered wing. With a normal wing I tack down the covering around the parameter holding the covering tight then I shrink it up. I can’t do this with an under cambered wing. I think I have to start tacking down the covering to the wing spar and work my way back.
I am looking for any tips and ideas from this great knowledge base on here to cover the bottom of the wing.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I do it the way you described however once the bottom covering is shrunk I apply some adhesive inside the wing at the corners between the ribs and the covering. Not sure it is necessary but I see it as insurance against the covering pulling away at a later stage.
For adhesive I usually brush some PVA type with a small brush, on both sides of each rib but not quite the whole length of the rib, the middle portion is more significant.
I have also read but never actually tried it, that it is advisable to apply the shrinking heat from the hot air gun from above the bottom covering. I don't see why it would matter but it was written by a very respectable British modeller.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great choice in oldtimers,I've been flying mine for over 20 years.Your exactly right,you cover from the inside and work your way out.Use balsa rite,or some kind of heat activated adhesive for some extra holding power.Start at the spar,secure it down length wise,then carefully work the fabric back.Temp is kind of crucial,you want to activate the adhesive,but you don't want to shrink the fabric,a trim iron works great.Let the fabric flow back to the outside of the wing,you don't want to be pulling the fabric,let it fall into the undercamber.Take your time,patience will pay off.-jeffo
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Zor
Banned

Use woven fabric and glue it fron the inside of the wing structure or sew it on like full size airplanes.

How much camber are you talking about ?

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 11-02-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM
modeltronics

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01815.JPG
Views:	945
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1936162  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
modeltronics

There is a pic of the rib profile in the above post. I want to use a transparent color mono or ultra cote to cover the wing.

Thanks for all the input.
Pete
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by modeltronics

There is a pic of the rib profile in the above post. I want to use a transparent color mono or ultra cote to cover the wing.

Thanks for all the input.
Pete
Pete (modeltronics),

After reading your desires above I can only wish you the best of luck to end up with a cambered airfoil and take advantage of its high lift characteristics.

I know what I would do if I was the builder - finisher.

Regards, Zor
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I'm pretty sure solartex makes a lite weight fabric,it's a lot easier than monocote.They do make translucent colors.Check with Balsa USA.I'm not knocking anybody,but I've done many undercamber wings and never super glued the undercamber-they still look good today.-jeffo
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Zor
Banned

jeffo,

How did you do it ?
Do you mind sharing ?

Zor
Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When covering, use normal heat and iron down where covering meets ribs first. Using balsarite can help adhesion. The trick is when shrinking, be carefull to just heat up the areas that need shrinking, take you time and don't heat up quickly all over. Also may help to have a cool wet rag handy to help keep pressed down and attached to ribs.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
ARUP

Here's some fabric covering I put on these old timers. Work from center to edges.