Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My first plans build RCM FLYBABY Plan-957

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My first plans build RCM FLYBABY Plan-957

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
drube, you wanna use my table top router. We can meet half way on the interstate. I can even put the laminate bit in ready to go.
Wow, Thanks Robert! I really appreciate the offer and I see your not that far from me, but i'm just going to use what I have for now and I will keep that in mind.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okie-Dokie!!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM
LARRYKOP

I have the plans sitting on my table in the basement. This is a nice looking airplane and I'm sure will fly great. The problem is, is that it's too small. I have 5 airplanes this size already and don't have room for another one. I'm going to scale this up to G-62 size and convert it to a tricycle landing gear. I already have the landing gear and a Stihl 64 CC engine. I'll store it when done in my El Camino in the garage. I'm a experienced Auto-Cad user and will have no problem redrawing this in Auto cad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	1941002  
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Wow, just how big is that SloPoke in the pic!? Nice Sunday type flyer??

Bill S.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Acer, are you just making hardwood templates then setting the router blade just below the template so the template rides on the bits bushing? I have see a lot of other guys that use the router table to cut parts but I haven't ever done it myself. Can you post photos of how you do it. I don't recall but maybe Rick Stubbs used a router when he did the Up-Roar build thread, I will have to look. We have two router tables in my woodworkers club, one brand new with a huge assortment of bits. I was thinking of using them when I cut the lightening holes in the ribs on my next build. I keep saying I won't be building any more planes but I have been saying that for a lot of years. When Rick drove here for a visit he brought me the plans and templates for the 40 size Roar. I flew that plane for a lot of years in fun fly events and forgot how much I liked it. Can't let these plans go to waste.
Larry, wish I knew how to use a CAD!!!! The best flying plane I have ever built is the Sukhoi 29 from Airage plans service. Liked it so much I built two of them. Problem is, nothing on those plans fits correctly and have to be sanded to shape/fit. This summers build was the first set of CAD drawn plans I have gotten from Airage, they were so perfect the build was boring. I did a build thread but all it was is glue this part to that part. Even the wing tube holes lined up correctly. If I was in a hurry the frame up would take about a week. First time I have done a build without having all the parts needed on hand first, that is a mistake.
Gene
Old 11-21-2013, 01:12 PM
acerc

That would be correct. I make my template's out of 1/4 ply. plenty of room for the bearing. And on the laminate bit I use there is a bearing and it is at the top. Makes for a real nice cut.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM
drube

How many ribs do you cut at one time?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
acerc

Depends on the thickness of the rib, thickness of cut ability is one inch. A 2" bit is also available for considerably more money.
Attached Images  

Last edited by acerc; 11-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
drube

I never really knew how they worked. I've seen them being used but never really paid attention. I can see where a router would be a good option and your templates would be good for ever. What do you use to make your templates?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM
acerc

I use 3/4 ply, cut them close with a band saw, sand closer with a belt sander, and then a final sand by hand. Every template I have ever made only took about five minutes total. Pretty easy and quick to do.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Gray Beard

I use the router quite a bit, just never cut any wing ribs with one. I do use the router half round bits with the bushing to cut my leading edge stock. That's about all I have ever cut with one for plane building. I haven't done anything with a constant cord in a long while either. I have built some kits that were all router cut but I don't run into them anymore.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
drube

I may have to pick one up sometime in the future for another build. Thinking maybe a Spacewalker for my next build. But I need to make it through this one first..lol
I checked my tracking # It says my wood will be here Monday. Yay!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Gray Beard

Sounds like they had to grow the trees!!!! If I build the lion this summer I think I will just order the wood from National like I used to do. I'm still pissed about the total crap I got from Lone Star. I used all my modeling money on that order and was forced to use it. It was so soft I kept putting my fingers through the plane when I had to pick it up. I don't expect the Prime Cut to last a long time. I will stress that soft wood just flying it easy. All I can say is the plane came out very light!!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 PM
drube

Originally Posted by LARRYKOP
I have the plans sitting on my table in the basement. This is a nice looking airplane and I'm sure will fly great. The problem is, is that it's too small. I have 5 airplanes this size already and don't have room for another one. I'm going to scale this up to G-62 size and convert it to a tricycle landing gear. I already have the landing gear and a Stihl 64 CC engine. I'll store it when done in my El Camino in the garage. I'm a experienced Auto-Cad user and will have no problem redrawing this in Auto cad.
Larry, what will be the wing span when you scale it up to that size?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 AM
jimkim

drube,

I have been reading your post and some of the advice you have been getting for stacking and cutting the ribs. With your stated equipment you might want to go old school. Glue the balsa for the ribs together with spray adhesive and glue the paper pattern to the ribs with the same spray adhesive. Allow the glue to dry. Cut the ribs on your bands saw and do the sanding on a belt sander or even by hand with a sanding bar. Cut all of the notches and lightening holes required. When you are satisfied that everything is the way that you want it apply lighter fluid to the edges of the ribs allowing it to soak into the joints between the ribs. This will dissolve the glue. A bit of lighter fluid on a rag will allow you to wipe excess glue off of the ribs. Using lighter fluid you will even be able to remove and salvage your paper pattern.

Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 AM
drube

Hi Jim, Lighter Fluid? Won't that soak into the balsa?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 AM
acerc

Yes, but it will evaporate. A word of caution, wear gloves!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM
jimkim

It does but it evaporates out quickly.
Originally Posted by drube
Hi Jim, Lighter Fluid? Won't that soak into the balsa?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
drube

I learn something new every time i'm on this site, thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM
drube

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Sounds like they had to grow the trees!!!!
They did say they had a back log of orders when I ordered. I guess that's a good thing, a lot of people must be building huh?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Gray Beard

It is winter and most guys do build when they are frozen or snowed in. I'm the flip side of that coin, I hate it when it gets dark this early so I build during the summer when it gets real hot. We are in the midst of a rain storm right now. Started to rain yesterday and is supposed to keep going until sometime Sunday. Got the word this morning, the lake bed is flooded already. Maybe by Monday I will be able to float fly off of it?? Beats flying at lake Mead, if something goes wrong you don't need a boat, it's shallow. I still have a set of waders from my duck hunting days too, you can just walk out to get your plane. That may be fun??
I have never tried lighter fluid to separate the wood but I have tried acetone without much luck. The heat gun works best for me. I have also never separated ribs with lightening holes cut in them. With heat they are still sticky and I have to sort of pull them apart. The templates I just heat up a corner and then heat and peel.
I finally got the new garbage disposal installed. What a pain in the hinderpoo!!! Had to go out to the hardware store again today, I found a broken pipe while I was under the sink. When I tightened all the loose pipes I found they moved and that broken pipe started leaking!! The plumber had every pipe under the sink loose, they are only hand tightened pipes and it looks like he forgot to tighten them. I'm surprised I haven't had a flood in the kitchen.
Gene
Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM
LARRYKOP

Originally Posted by drube
Larry, what will be the wing span when you scale it up to that size?
I'm not sure yet. I have to draw all the 84" span parts before I scale it up. I have about 25% of the fuse drawn so far. The Slowpoke ended up being 106". I scaled it up 1.625%. Sending you the Slowpoke drawing if your intrested.
Larry
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Gray Beard

Don't you just love the guys on RCU. If I didn't get a couple of things donated to me the Prime Cut would still be in the bones. I have sent a lot of plans out to guys but have never gotten a Photo of there completed plane yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
drube

Yeah, I think this site is great because of guys like you Gene. I still have those bi plane plans that you sent me.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
acerc

What plans do you have Gene, I like multiple wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.