Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Kadet MK II Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Kadet MK II Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DBD1
The wing looks good Dave. Mine is 2.75".

It did warm up enough yesterday afternoon for me to epoxy the ply nose doublers to the fuselage sides.
Hey, 2.75" sounds great - enough for stability, little enough to allow "fun". I've got the wing upstairs right now for just exactly the same reason, installing the servo mount and beefing up the epoxy joint. It's actually "warm" in the shop right now - 47 degrees. Once the epoxy is set I'll take it back down and finish off the rest of the wing.

Hey, got a question for all y'all - I'm sure most everybody knows more about this than I do. Is there any reason I can't use a micro-servo for throttle control? Same radio that handled my Mark-1 is going into the Mark-2, which means I'm a servo short (Mk-1 is 3-channel) - but I DO have several micro-servos from a couple old sailplanes I no longer fly.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
DBD1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, got a question for all y'all - I'm sure most everybody knows more about this than I do. Is there any reason I can't use a micro-servo for throttle control? Same radio that handled my Mark-1 is going into the Mark-2, which means I'm a servo short (Mk-1 is 3-channel) - but I DO have several micro-servos from a couple old sailplanes I no longer fly.
I don't see why not, not much load to speak of, might as well save the weight.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 AM
trisdisp57

I am enjoying this build thread will follow along.... Newer to rc and will begin building my trainer soon. Also starting/restarting a c-130 which I probably shouldnt be building. Love the pictures keep them coming please
Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 AM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by trisdisp57
I am enjoying this build thread will follow along.... Newer to rc and will begin building my trainer soon. Also starting/restarting a c-130 which I probably shouldnt be building. Love the pictures keep them coming please
Hey Tristan!! Glad to have y' along for the ride.

Gotta tell ya though, you're a whole lot braver than I am, "newer to rc", "trainer" and "C-130" all at the same time. I won't pass on the advise that I'm absolutely sure you're perfectly aware of already, but I'd like to.

Dave
Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 AM
skylark-flier

I don't see why not, not much load to speak of, might as well save the weight.
Yup! Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 AM
DBD1

Tristan, glad you are enjoying the thread. What trainer are you going to build?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM
skylark-flier

Yea!!!!!!!!! Wing is DONE!!!!!! Laying out fire wall and first fuse side tonight.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM
DBD1

I have been working on the fuselage sides and had all of the "sticks" cut and glued in place so it was time to cut out the printed parts. So I thought might as well cut out all of the printed parts at the same time. I got my 9" Ryobi band saw out of the storage shed, set it up and was ready to go. When I turned it on it made a god awful noise and vibrated violently. I immediately turned it off, unplugged it and opened the cover to inspect. Apparently the "tires" on the wheels that grip and drive the blade had become brittle and began disintegrating as soon as I turned the saw on. I had not used the saw in quite a few years.

The sad thing is that Ryobi has made 3 generations of this saw and the tires for all 3 are discontinued parts effectively rendering the saw useless. Way to go Ryobi, really got your customers interest at heart. If Ryobi cannot support their product any better than that I will never buy a Ryobi anything again!

Now that my rant is over, I guess the printed parts will get cut out manually. I hope to have the fuselage sides done today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1962465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1962466  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working on the fuselage sides and had all of the "sticks" cut and glued in place so it was time to cut out the printed parts. So I thought might as well cut out all of the printed parts at the same time. I got my 9" Ryobi band saw out of the storage shed, set it up and was ready to go. When I turned it on it made a god awful noise and vibrated violently. I immediately turned it off, unplugged it and opened the cover to inspect. Apparently the "tires" on the wheels that grip and drive the blade had become brittle and began disintegrating as soon as I turned the saw on. I had not used the saw in quite a few years.

The sad thing is that Ryobi has made 3 generations of this saw and the tires for all 3 are discontinued parts effectively rendering the saw useless. Way to go Ryobi, really got your customers interest at heart. If Ryobi cannot support their product any better than that I will never buy a Ryobi anything again!

Now that my rant is over, I guess the printed parts will get cut out manually. I hope to have the fuselage sides done today.
Sorry to hear about the discontinued parts, I know how frustrating that can be. You might get a part number for those wheels and do a search on E-Bay. You might be surprised, someone could be trying to get rid of those wheels!

Looks like your build is going well. The fuselage contruction is one of my favorite parts of the build, I really like carving the windshield. They show two versions in the instructions, and I really recommend that you do the more difficult version, rather than the simplified version. It just looks so nice when complete and really isn't that hard to do if you take your time. I think that the windshield is one of the aspects that really set it apart from the other trainers at the field. Sig really got it right with the construction methods!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bandsaw tires

Originally Posted by bchapman
Sorry to hear about the discontinued parts, I know how frustrating that can be. You might get a part number for those wheels and do a search on E-Bay. You might be surprised, someone could be trying to get rid of those wheels!

Looks like your build is going well. The fuselage contruction is one of my favorite parts of the build, I really like carving the windshield. They show two versions in the instructions, and I really recommend that you do the more difficult version, rather than the simplified version. It just looks so nice when complete and really isn't that hard to do if you take your time. I think that the windshield is one of the aspects that really set it apart from the other trainers at the field. Sig really got it right with the construction methods!
Tried a Google search for "9 inch bandsaw tires" and got this: You might check one or several of them out. Good luck.

[h=2]9 band saw tire | eBay - Electronics, Cars, Fashion ...[/h]www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=9+band+saw+tire
URETHANE BAND SAW TIRES FOR 9 INCH MASTERCRAFT MODEL 55-6719-6BANDSAW. $29.95. Buy It Now. Free shipping. 9" x 3/4" Urethane band saw tire.

[h=2]bandsaw tire | eBay - Electronics, Cars, Fashion ...[/h]www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bandsaw+tire
RYOBI URETHANE BANDSAW TIRES 9 X 1/2" HEAVY DUTY .95. $29.95. Buy It Now. Free shipping. 14 Watchers. ... Newly Listed 905145 Tires for a 14 inch DeltaBandsaw…

[h=2]Ryobi BS901 9 " Band Saw Parts - OEM Replacement Parts ...[/h]www.ereplacementparts.com/ryobi-bs901-band-saw-parts-c-7931_7949...
Need to fix your BS901 9" Band Saw? We have parts, diagrams, accessories and repair advice to make your tool repairs easy.

[h=2]Images of 9 inch bandsaw tires[/h]bing.com/images

[h=2]Delta 1345013 Bandsaw Tire - Amazon.com[/h]

www.amazon.com/Delta-1345013-Bandsaw-Tire/dp/B009YES2Z8
9-Inch long, 6.5-Inch wide, and 0.7-Inch high; Package weight of this item is 1-Pound ... URETHANE BAND SAW TIRES 1" WIDE BY 14" DIAMETER 4.9 …

[h=2]Need tires for the Delta 9 inch bandsaw do you know where ...[/h]www.fixya.com › … › BS100 Shopmaster 9 Inch Bench Top Band Saw
  • Rating: 5/5 ·
  • 1 review
Sep 20, 2010 · Problem with Delta BS100 Shopmaster 9 Inch Bench Top Band Saw. Need tires for the Delta 9 inch bandsaw do you know where to get some? 1 Solution

[h=2]9 Inch Band Saw - Micro Mark[/h]www.micromark.com/9-Inch-Band-Saw,9960.html
9 Inch Band Saw. Starting at $146.95. Sold Out! ... Non-slip rubber tires and wheel brushes for better blade tracking; Blade tensioning system; Adjustable miter gauge;

[h=2]Urethane Bandsaw Tires - Allbandsawblades.com[/h]www.allbandsawblades.com/urethane_tires.htm
Carter Band Saw Tires are made from the highest quality material to exacting standards.

[h=2]"Delta 9 Inch Bandsaw" - Amazon.com: Online Shopping for ...[/h]www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADelta%209%20Inch...
DELTA 28-178 9-Inch Band Saw Blade 3/8-Inch by 59-1/2-Inch, 6 Teeth per Inch by Delta. ... Urethane Band Saw Tires - pair by Rockler. Buy new: $3
Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM
skylark-flier

Geez, never even considered e-bay. Been looking for tires for my 50-yr old Craftsman bandsaw for quite some time. Will look there right now.

Thanks for the heads-up guys.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
DBD1

bchapman & spaceworm, thanks for the info, I would not have thought to look on e-bay either. There is a guy on there that may have a set to fit, I will know when he answers my question.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
DBD1

Originally Posted by bchapman

I have definitely decided to do the more difficult version, I think it looks better too.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 AM
skylark-flier

I have definitely decided to do the more difficult version, I think it looks better too.
Absolutely! Wouldn't think of doing the newbie version.

BTW, new set of tires for the bandsaw on the way!!!!!!! $15 did the trick. Can't thank y'all enough for the GREAT idea.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I was thinking about what bchapman said about taking the harder way. I'm building a Top Flite 182 and they have two choices for wingtips, a plain Jane and a Horner tip. I found the Horner a little daunting to carve two just a like but I really wanted Horner tips. So I made an extra set of wingtip blanks and tried it. Its amazing how something that looks difficult in this hobby turns out to be so easy if you think ahead and take your time. Now I have an extra set of blanks I don't need but I can use down the road on another project.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM
DBD1

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Absolutely! Wouldn't think of doing the newbie version.

BTW, new set of tires for the bandsaw on the way!!!!!!! $15 did the trick. Can't thank y'all enough for the GREAT idea.
Dave, glad you found some to fit. I found a set that fit mine for $26.95, thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
DBD1

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I was thinking about what bchapman said about taking the harder way. I'm building a Top Flite 182 and they have two choices for wingtips, a plain Jane and a Horner tip. I found the Horner a little daunting to carve two just a like but I really wanted Horner tips. So I made an extra set of wingtip blanks and tried it. Its amazing how something that looks difficult in this hobby turns out to be so easy if you think ahead and take your time. Now I have an extra set of blanks I don't need but I can use down the road on another project.
Mike, you are absolutely right about thinking ahead and taking your time. Glad to hear you are making progress on the 182.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you guys found the parts you were looking for. Glad to help!

I figured out that E-bay trick a long time ago when I was looking for some old car parts. What's funny is that anymore I've found better deals on E-bay even with the shipping than I can get anywhere else. I had to order an oil dipstick to my wife's car just last night. The dealer wanted $38 plus tax. I bought it for $19.90 including shipping. You name it, you can find it.

The builds are looking great guys, keep up the good work!

Brian
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
DBD1

I have 2 fuselage sides assembled and sanded to match.

I guess I need to get serious about laying out and drilling the firewall next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1962811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG
Views:	793
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	1962812  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looking good!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
skylark-flier

Most definitely looking good, I agree 100% with Flyer . I'm hoping mine look just half that good - I decided to go the firewall route first and get that super major headache (they ALWAYS give me trouble) out of the way. Good thing I did - while fitting the engine to the mounts I found the needle valve module (using an OS .40LA with that "remote" needle valve) was broken. Had to order a new one.

Sheesh! If it ain't one thing, it's another.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Dave, I can see a safety advantage to the remote needle valve but I have heard of them breaking a lot so it kind of put me off from owning an engine with one. Still, OS makes a great engine.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
trisdisp57

Tristan, glad you are enjoying the thread. What trainer are you going to build?
I was looking at sig kadet Lt 40 but probably electric

Last edited by trisdisp57; 01-29-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:55 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by trisdisp57
I was looking at sig kadet Lt 40 but probably electric
Ah heck! Support SIG and your LHS build one of each!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

And if you didn't already know we have a SIG Brotherhood on this site now: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...otherhood.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.