Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Converting Tricycle landing gear to Tail Dragger

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Converting Tricycle landing gear to Tail Dragger

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
dksnyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Tricycle landing gear to Tail Dragger

I am converting an Andrews Minimaster (.25 size version of the Trainermaster from the 60's)
from tricycle landing gear to a tail dragger.
I am not sure where to position the wheels.
Should they be under the wing leading edge?
Is there any rule-of-thumb for the wheel placement??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dk,

Most of us start with the axles aligned with the leading edge of the wing. That should be about right.

Have fun with it.

Bedford
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I did. If you're interested, I have a write-up. Not the same airplane, but similar principles.

http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/aircraft/ho...ildragger.html
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just forward of CG and just a touch behind the leading edge is where I placed them on my LT40. If you look at any plane that has tail wheel and retracts, that is where the wheels are positioned(the axles) when the plane is on its wheels and horizontal is level with the ground(at least the 5 tail draggers I have are). Too far forward and ground handling sucks, too far back and they nose over.

I placed mine by setting the plane level as if it were light on the mains ready to take off. I then took a plumb bob and placed it at the root at the leading edge, I marked the bottom of the fuse when the line was, then made another mark about 1/4" behind that, I centered my landing gear on that mark. Plane takes off and lands beautifully and never do I have handling problems.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you fly off grass go a little farther forward than the L.E. to help prevent nose overs. The smaller the plane is more it helps to cheat it up a little in the mounting position of the mains. The basic rule is at the leading edge or slightly behind it but with a non scale small plane I would go ahead of the L.E. 1/2" to 1". There will be no problem getting the tail up for take off and it will help keep the plane upright on landing. Also, again if you are flying off grass, over size tires will help too.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Ooops, didnt catch that its small plane, I was thinking a .40 size trainer and up.