Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Hi Guys,
I have been working on getting my build table ready for the Spacewalker. I will start building tomorrow. This will be a mostly stock build. I had thoughts of replacing the stock gear with Robart Cub gear but have decided to use the stock gear. Power will be a DL-50 engine, it appears I will have to move the firewall back 3/4" from the stock location to fit the engine.

One other change I will be making is the wing sheeting. The wing is a 3 piece design with removable outer panels. The plans show the bays at the joints to be cap stripped and not sheeted. I will sheet the entire center section and the inner bay of each outer panel. This makes the joint much stronger and will keep the covering from distorting the ribs at the joint.

Covering will be Poly-Fiber Lite uncertified fabric and Klass Kote paint. I am leaning towards using the same colors as my 1/3 WACO (insignia blue and white)with the standard Spacewalker scheme.

I will throw in enough details to make it look scale but I am not going to go overboard as this will be my everyday flyer. I have enough pucker factor with the WACO. I may also get sidelined due to back surgery before the build is complete but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

As an added bonus or headache I will be re-covering my 1/3 Cub and painting it while I am covering and painting the Spacewalker.

More to come tomorrow!!!
Anthony
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm subscribing... I'm building this kit next.

SunDevilPilot

Last edited by SunDevilPilot; 12-07-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was wondering when you would start it, I will tag along. This will be a piece fo cake after the Waco and easier on your back.

Leroy
Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony,
I made a 2 piece wing with a box spar,and an aluminum joiner.The landing gear is also aluminum bolted to the fuse,just ahead of the wing.I know it's not scale,but it sure is a lot easier to store,and assemble at the field.My buddy also had one,and liked how much simpler it was to handle.-jeffo
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad to see you are building this one, Anthony. I think you will like the build.

Sig did a good job with this kit. I didn't find much that I felt need to be changed. I did, as you plan to do, sheet the entire wing center section, and for the reasons that you stated.

I suggest that before starting the wings, you take a look at the retention system.

Although I am told that it is perfectly reliable, it makes me nervous. I wish that I had added a wing tube, which is a very simple modification, on this design.

Enjoy your build !

Here's are pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2695.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1945497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	1945498   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2383.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1945499  
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 AM
WacoNut

HI Guys,
I will start posting some pics as soon as I make a little progress. I have unpacked the kit and the contents look good. I have read thru the manual and it looks to be a straight forward build. I will go with the stock wing joiners for this build. I have used the sig wing joiners in the past and they are strong.

I have a couple of laminations that need to be completed before the wing construction begins so I will get those completed this morning and then start laying out the 1st wing panel. If I can get motivated I should have it framed up by the end of the month.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 AM
WacoNut

Getting ready to glue and epoxy the different laminates together.

I discovered none of the laser cut parts are marked. This required a bit of time to go thru and label the parts to the diagrams supplied in the instructions. The main wing spars are laminated from 1/8x3/4" spruce stock. I am going to go thru the manual and try to locate all the laminations and get them all out of the way before I get started. Should make the build go smoother down the road.
I am using T-88 epoxy for the spar laminations. This is a very slow cure epoxy so the actual construction will not begin until tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM
WacoNut

All the laminations are complete and curing.
The more I look at the design and construction the more I like it. Should be a nice strong airframe. I would expect no less from Bruce Tharpe the designer.

We have our club Christmas dinner tonight which should be a real good time. Tomorrow morning I will start framing up the wing.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM
WacoNut

Tom,
Did you install the ply bands to cover the wing joints? Just wondering how that works out? looks like it would be easy to break.

Also I need to find 2 full body 1/3 pilots. I have one in my 1/3 WACO but they are no longer available. I need one for the SW and my 1/3 Cub. If I cannot find one I will put in a false floor and a pilot bust.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by WacoNut
Tom,
Did you install the ply bands to cover the wing joints? Just wondering how that works out? looks like it would be easy to break.

Later!!
Anthony

Anthony, I did install the ply bands. I purchased a sheet of 1/32 ply, and cut and extra set of bands. I laid down two layers of the ply strips. The first layer (bottom layer) was 1/4" narrower Than the top.

The narrow band was glued flush to the rib. The top band was glued over it, with a 1/4" overhang.. This is plenty to hide the joint, and the extra layer allows the outside wing panel to slide on easily, without snagging that thin ply strip.

I glassed the strips with 1/2 oz cloth for durability.

Name:	m_DSCF2526.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1945808  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 AM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tip Tom,
Sounds like a sound plan, I think adding pinked tape over the band will also help it blend in.

I am getting ready to drill out the aluminum wing joiners, I could not find my 4-40 tap so I borrowed one from a club member. The laminations are all cured and ready to start assembly. I can only stand to be on my feet for about an hour max then I have to sit for a while to rest my back. I need to find a taller chair that I can sit in at my work table, maybe that will help.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waconut.. I've been thinking of one for my Tartan Twin if I decide to keep it. Always have loved the lines of a Spacewalker. Will be lurking on this thread for sure.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
WacoNut

Hi thailazer,
The kit looks very nice, I have wanted one of these for years. Problem is I want too many planes and can only build so many a year. The plane is actually pretty small for 1/3 scale. They flew the prototype with a G-38 and it had ample power. A DL-50 should haul it around pretty good.

Hopefully I will have some pics to post later, still working on drilling out the aluminum wing joiners. Had to give my back a rest. We had 6" of the white crap fall Friday and we are getting another 2" right now and also expecting ice later. Good day for building.
Anthony
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Anthony

So glad you started your build. I am subscribed and will be watching closely.
My Kit arrived this past Thursday and will be starting it soon.
This will be my first large scale build.
I mostly lurk and usually only chime in when I have a question.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 AM
WacoNut

Hi Kevin,
Feel free to post your build here. It always helps to bounce ideas back and forth.

I just finished the drilling and tapping of the wing joiner blocks. The tap I borrowed was a 4-40 3 flute tap. Wouldn't you know it on the 3rd hole it snapped with very little pressure. I was stopping and turning back every 1/4 turn to clear the chips and it still snapped on me. As always happens 5 minutes later I found my missing tap. It is a 2 flute tap which is much stronger and I was able to finish tapping the holes.
After a short break I will get the plans for the wing down on the table and I will start framing up the 1st half.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM
hrrcflyer

Hello Anthony,

It's been quite some time since I've been on RCUniverse and I'm gad to see you're getting ready to build your Spacewalker. If it turns out 1/2 as nice as your Waco, you'll have a winner for sure. I hope you don't have too many problems with your back while you're trying to build. Hopefully, I'll be starting on my 50cc AMR stick before too long.

Take care,
David
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome back Anthony, I'm sure you're excited to start to build again...I'll be watching-subscribed!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's about time you got right with the world. Good to see you back at it. Subscribed, just do me one favor, don't finish this one as well before I'm done with the Pitts. That goes for you to Vincent. Slow down guys!!!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 PM
littlera

I recently acquired a new kit from a seller in Canada. I got a good buy, but it was expensive to ship. End result was still a bargain. Unfortunately I will not start the kit until about the end of 2014.

I want to try a twin for this plane. I am considering a 40 cc unit from Valley View R/C. http://www.valleyviewrc.coAm/estore/...as-engine.html

Any opinions on this combination? I think the DL 60 is overkill, and will not fit will, and there is not a 50 cc unit I am familiar with that I would trust.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM
WacoNut

Welcome Aboard guys,
It feels good to work on a plane again even with my back killing me.

I have started framing up the wing. So far so good. The 1/8" ply ribs are bowed pretty good but are straightening out fine. At the rate I am going it will take me all week to complete the right wing. I don't think you have anything to worry about Robert my back just won't let me stay working at my usual pace. I might even be as slow as David right now.

For those considering this kit, it is a fine kit but if you do not have a drill press or access to one you will get frustrated pretty quick. I can't imagine trying to build this plane without one. The wing joiners require a lot of drilling of aluminum bars and brackets. Here are a few pics of the wing joiners and the laminations and the starting of the right wing. The wing panel builds together with 1/2 of the center section and after the wing is framed and the joiner is installed the outer panel is cut loose.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Spacewalker 029.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	1945925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacewalker 030.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	1945926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacewalker 031.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	1945927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacewalker 032.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	1945928  
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM
WacoNut

littlera,
I am not familiar with that engine but it should have enough power for this plane. The Spacewalker is more or less like a low wing Cub. I expect the DL-50 is going to be overkill but should be fun.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait for me!

Okay, I'm here now. You may proceed Anthony.

I know this is going to be great and I'll no doubt learn a trick or two, but it seems like I spend too much time reading all the treads I'm subscribed to and not enough time building! Oh well, it's a ton of fun anyway.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:03 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put a Saito 2.20 four stroke nitro in my 1/3 scale Spacewalker. It flew great. So the 40cc motor should be good also. I had 2 problems with my plane. The wing was very snug fitting into the center section on both sides, and the wing joiner blocks were very soft. The screws that held the wing in place punched small holes in the block and after 5 or 6 flights, the screws no longer held the wings in place. Both were easy to fix, but just a heads up.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:12 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by jeffEE
. The screws that held the wing in place punched small holes in the block and after 5 or 6 flights, the screws no longer held the wings in place. Both were easy to fix, but just a heads up.
What was your fix ? I started to worry about those blocks right after I covered my wings.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
littlera

Thanks jeffEE and WacoNut. I have a 1/4 SpaceWalker that flies very scale-like on a 22 cc engine. Scaling that up to 40 cc on the 1/3 bird seemed reasonable to me too.

I have noted that the Sig 1/3 scale plane is really a bit smaller than 1/3 scale. The real plane is 28 ft. span - 1/3 should be 112 inches. at 104 inches, the actual scale is about 31%. I am guessing this was done to make use of standard sawed lengths of wood - 48 inches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.