Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to get start?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to get start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Abrams
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get start?

I have done some repairs on ARFs, but have never built a kit from scratch. What is the best way to get started? Any books, magazine, anything you can recommend. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that scratch builds.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM
rryman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, if you have no building experience and have never built a kit before, I would recommend starting with a good proven kit to build. It would provide you with a lot of experience prior to tackling a true scratch-build. I have never truly done a scratch build, meaning I drew up my own plans complete with ribs, bulkheads, etc. As close as I came was building a twin from a set of plans. Not sure I could have done that had I not had previous building experience.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Abrams

Yes, but even with a proven kit, I don't know about glue selection and all of the other stuff you know. I'm trying to find a how-to source. Right now I do t even know how much I don't know.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a simple (no retracts, no flaps, etc.) slab sided kit from a brand name supplier such as Great Planes, Tower Hobby, some Sig kits ( the more modern lazer cut type), or Balsa USA sells a neat looking high wing trainer/sport plane that is made just for someone who has never built a kit before. That Balsa USA one (can't think of it's name) would be ideal for what you want to do. It will lead you by the hand teaching you all those "secrets" how to's and what glues etc. Go to their web site and you will find the one I am referring to as it is a new model introduced in the last year or so. The finished plane look good too!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:12 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An unfortunate side effect of ARFs is that a pilot's flying ability is greater than his abilty to build a model.

If the pilot develops a desire to build, he has passed the trainer stage, and wants to build a more advanced airframe.

This is where the problems can arise., as the advanced flier/fledgling builder doesn't posses the skills to build an airframe to match his flying abilities.

Trainer kits do more than provide us with a vehicle to learn how to fly. They also have simplified construction, easy to read plans, and step by step instructions that tell the builder what to do, and what glue to use in various situations.

As kits grow in levels of complexity, they contain less information on assembly steps, glues, etc. It is assumed that the builder has acquired the skills an knowledge earlier in his RC career.

Build threads contain a wealth of information. In my view, they are better than books about building techniques, because they are interactive. A novice builder can select a model that he likes, and follow the thread to see how the model is built.

Finding a suitable model. One advanced enough to hold the advanced flier/novice builder's interest, can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. Kits like the Goldberg and Great Planes Cubs, the Sig 4 Stars, etc, contain excellent step by step instruction, and good plans. The instructions also offer suggestions for glue types, in various situations. They usually provide a list of required tools, too.

Abrams, if you were to build one of those kits , they will provide you with a solid foundation of building skills.

There are other things to consider. You'll need a flat, pinnable, building surface. Hobby knife and razor saw, pins, etc. Look around build threads, and see what people are using. There is no need for expensive power tools. It's possible to keep things basic. As you advance, the tools and surrounding equipment can become more exotic, but not in the beginning.

I hope that you follow up on your desire to build. You'll find it a rewarding experience. There are many on this site who are willing to offer help, if and when you need it.

Last edited by TomCrump; 12-23-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 AM
rryman

By all means, keep asking questions when in doubt. I had built free flight models since I was a kid, but when I got into RC, I read everything I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, I had to teach myself to fly, which I managed to do. Having had some free flight experience helped with that. But when I found a club, I asked lots of questions, which has saved me a lot of misery along the way. And, you will find that you will get lots of answers, some maybe differing. You will have to decide which information you think is best for your situation.
I just finished building a Sig Kavalier, and was impressed with all the information that was provided in the written instructions, including what type of glue to use and where to use it. The Sig Kits have good instructions, as I'm sure other kits do. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a great build thread here on the SIG LT-40: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...-40-build.html

Starts right with opening the box and covers all of the basics in detail. I found a lot of great information here when I started building!

Last edited by aymodeler; 12-23-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:54 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Abrams
I have done some repairs on ARFs, but have never built a kit from scratch. What is the best way to get started? Any books, magazine, anything you can recommend. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that scratch builds.
Abrams,

What is the best way to get started?
Don't intend to sound "Blunt" but as some have mentioned.... Buy a kit..The instruction will tell you everything you need to know.

All three of these "Kit Makers" Have good instructions (at least good enough). Including what glue what kind of knife what size allen wrench -----what components you'll need....So On and On...
Balsa USA (as mentioned the trainer is intended to be a "building trainer")
SIG
Great Planes

All the books in the world will not squeeze any glue out of the bottle.
Good Luck,
Old 12-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Abrams

I've been involved in a few hobbies where I wish I had done a little reading first. And actually, I've done a little more than I have let on. I've refused to throw my ARFs away. I repair them. My first plane was a 40 year old plane with some serious tail damage. I rebuild that one... and my buddy wrecked it for me. Anyway, the hacking I've done so far could be done much better.

Although I'm not crazy about the idea of build a beginner plane first, that probably is the best way. I read through the building instructions for an intermediate model. I might be able to handle that. Actually, I might look through the beginner plans on Model Aviation, read the articles and see what I can pick up. Still researching.

Right now I've got a few projects on the table. I did start by building a 4'x8' table. I inherited a 100+" Aeroworks Extra 260 airframe that is broken in half. I have a small ARF that needs a bigger engine. And I'm building a scaled up version of a flite test versawing.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Abrams

Magazine?

i've heard Model Airplane News is pretty good. What others?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Expanding a bit on what others have said, the better and newer kits usually have quite a bit of information about the various glues and tools you need to complete the airplane. I'd especially recommend the newer Great Planes and SIG kits. In many cases, you can go online and download the assembly manuals and read them in advance of your purchase. In short, read, read, read anything you can get your hands on. There is a wealth of information in the many online forums, etc. Still quite a few good books on the subject if you look around. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Abrams

I have some older advance plans that I inherited. They have me a little intimidated. It makes sense that newer plans would have more instructions. The intermediate plan on Model Aviation had a lot more instruction than I thought. I will definitely check out Great Planes and SIG.

I WILL have questions.

Good news is I have become quite proficient at monokote with the repairs I've done so far.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Join AMA First ! They will offer you tons of info. Then find a club. They will be more then happy to help you
Old 12-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Abrams

This is my third year in AMA. I've been flying electric flying wing (which I build) for 7 years, I'm a club member and I fly giant scale. I'm trying to learn to build the right way.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Abrams

I'm having a hard time finding Great Planes or SIG kits that aren't ARFs. What am I looking for? What is an F/F? Part of the problem is I'm trying to get out of nitro. I'd really rather build a 20cc as I have one looking for a home.

So far it looks it looks like Model Aviation is my best source. I haven't looked very close at Model Airplane News yet.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Phoenixangel

Man the goldberg tiger 2 is a great first kit,, It is simple box construction, great plans and instructions, it even comes with little alignment jig things. Very nice flying plane to boot. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF7&P=0 there is also a .60 size tiger that is a fine fly in its own right, maybe even better then the smaller one. It handles dang near limitless winds great, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF9&P=0.. Really these are fantastic kits to build. Even better planes to fly. the 60 size would handle that 20cc with a little extra work by you the builder.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Abrams

So I'm looking for "kit". I'm always looking for ARF, don't know what nomenclature I'm looking for. Still curious what F/F means.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a hard time finding Great Planes or SIG kits that aren't ARFs. What am I looking for? What is an F/F? Part of the problem is I'm trying to get out of nitro. I'd really rather build a 20cc as I have one looking for a home.

So far it looks it looks like Model Aviation is my best source. I haven't looked very close at Model Airplane News yet.
Here are Sig trainer kits: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...ftF.html?E+Sig and sport plane kits: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexAircraftF.html?E+Sig
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 PM
magwie

Just finished a Lanier Stinger .10
Built it up to be electric.
I love these kits. the plans are easy to read and understand.

Also just built up a House of Balsa Spacewalker for electric.
It too was easy to build and had great pictures in the instructions.

Good luck, building is fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger 10.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1950797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacewalker.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1950799  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

So I'm looking for "kit". I'm always looking for ARF, don't know what nomenclature I'm looking for. Still curious what F/F means.
F/F = Free Flight
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
smeckert

Abrams , you have one of the best hobby shops around near you .Prop Shop Hobbies in Warren . The owners Matt and Patti can answer any questions about what you will need . They still carry a few kits in stock , but can order any kit still available at a good price. ARF's have reduced the number of kits they stock over the years but as I said they can get them for you . Check out their Web site , and go see them.,
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
rryman

(.....Good news is I have become quite proficient at monokote with the repairs I've done so far..............)

That's a great sign if you're already good at covering----I've been into RC since 1977 and my covering still leaves a lot to be desired!!! AND, when it comes to covering, you'll find that some are much easier to work with than others.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 20cc gas should fly a large Cub if that appeals to you, Great Planes offers a "60 size" 90 inch wingspan J-3 Cub in kit form. Sig and Balsa USA both offer 1/5 th and 1/4 scale J-3's with 84 to 108 inch wingspans. Also, all could be built as clipped wing versions for more aerobatic flying. Even with your ARF repairing experience I would advise a smaller more basic type kit for your first build. Maybe save that 20cc gas for your second or third build. A Sig 4 Star in the 120 size would allow you to use that 20cc gas and still be a doable first build. They are great flyers and can also be built as a clipped wing more aerobatic plane. What airplanes do you like??
Old 12-24-2013, 02:45 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52
A 20cc gas should fly a large Cub if that appeals to you, Great Planes offers a "60 size" 90 inch wingspan J-3 Cub in kit form. Sig and Balsa USA both offer 1/5 th and 1/4 scale J-3's with 84 to 108 inch wingspans. Also, all could be built as clipped wing versions for more aerobatic flying. Even with your ARF repairing experience I would advise a smaller more basic type kit for your first build. Maybe save that 20cc gas for your second or third build. A Sig 4 Star in the 120 size would allow you to use that 20cc gas and still be a doable first build. They are great flyers and can also be built as a clipped wing more aerobatic plane. What airplanes do you like??
I think you are on the right track. The 1/4 scale Cubs are probably a bit much, when learning how to build. The Sig 1/5, and the Great Planes Cub .60 should be doable. The problem would be that I doubt the 20cc will fit in either cowl.

The 4 Star 120 may be the ideal solution. It's a larger airframe, but it contains a simplified building technique. The 20cc should power it well.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Phoenixangel

Originally Posted by TomCrump
The 4 Star 120 may be the ideal solution. It's a larger airframe, but it contains a simplified building technique. The 20cc should power it well.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.