Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cornell Michaels Kit Cutting

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cornell Michaels Kit Cutting

Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Sundance2018

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Cornell Michaels Kit Cutting

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to make a quick post here about a wonderful guy and his kit cutting services. There are some posts on RCU already about KitCutter (not to be confused with Kit Cutter, Inc.) including some of my own, unfortunately the posts are a mixed bag including a bunch of trash talk, again, including some of my own.

So this is just my 2-cents in an attempt to set the record straight so please take it for what it is and nothing more.

I have been an avid kit builder for 35+ years and have a good deal of experience building everything from old stick-n-tissue Sterling Models to advance scratch-build kits from plans sets. Lately, I've moved into giant scale kit building (simply because my eyes are not good enough to see the small planes in the air any more). I actually love to build more than I do fly!
A number of years ago I started working with Michael and he's crafted me 5 kits of the most magnificent quality I have ever seen. These kits include a Pepino YMF-5, a Dave Andersen Focke-Wulf Ta152-H, an upscaled 1/4 scale Ziroli F8F-2 Bearcat, an upscaled 1/4 scale Brisighella StarDuster and my latest project is a giant scale Christen Eagle II.

Michael's kit cutting business is not his full time profession. This is something he does out of the enjoyment of creating nice kits for folks. With that said he takes his time and makes sure he does a first rate job using only the finest materials out there. On average I would say from time of order and payment I get my kits in around 6-8 months. To many folks that would seem unreasonable, but when you think about it, how many of us can build and nicely finish a custom model in less than that amount of time anyway? He has had his fair share of problems over the years including major health issues and problems with his home as well as internet hacker problems all of which have been a cause for disgruntlement amongst us RCers, but please don't be too quick to judge. We have all had our own issues I am sure and we all make mistakes.
Anyway, I really appreciate Michael's attention to customer service. He offers suggestions of wood choice & grade selection, he makes kit design modifications based on engine choice and he also offers other a sundry services such as design enlargements as well as other scale recommendations, which for me have made my buying experience a real pleasure as he always seems to have the right answers.

As a closing note, for those of you that have been skeptical on kit building and/or especially in using a kit cutting service, I would look up Michael and give him a chance. Make sure your expectations are clearly set and that you understand that you won't get a kit shipped out immediately upon order and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to All and to All a Good Flight!

Cheers - Tom
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom,
To me, 6 to 8 months is an awful long time to wait to have a kit cut and delivered. I'm sure he does great work but that's just me.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4 years is even longer. This is one of those cutters it pays to do a background search on before you order. It pays do do the search on all cutters though but this one already has a bad rep. Being a wonderful guy is a nice thing but people using a kit cutter would like to get the kits at some point.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 AM
nick.henderson

So long i've forgotten if its now 5 or 6 years i have been waiting for my kit from this individual.
I dont write trash, i have the 100 plus e-mails to back up every single accusation.
STAY CLEAR AT ALL COST!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Originally Posted by Sundance2018
Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to make a quick post here about a wonderful guy and his kit cutting services. There are some posts on RCU already about KitCutter (not to be confused with Kit Cutter, Inc.) including some of my own, unfortunately the posts are a mixed bag including a bunch of trash talk, again, including some of my own.

So this is just my 2-cents in an attempt to set the record straight so please take it for what it is and nothing more.

I have been an avid kit builder for 35+ years and have a good deal of experience building everything from old stick-n-tissue Sterling Models to advance scratch-build kits from plans sets. Lately, I've moved into giant scale kit building (simply because my eyes are not good enough to see the small planes in the air any more). I actually love to build more than I do fly!
A number of years ago I started working with Michael and he's crafted me 5 kits of the most magnificent quality I have ever seen. These kits include a Pepino YMF-5, a Dave Andersen Focke-Wulf Ta152-H, an upscaled 1/4 scale Ziroli F8F-2 Bearcat, an upscaled 1/4 scale Brisighella StarDuster and my latest project is a giant scale Christen Eagle II.

Michael's kit cutting business is not his full time profession. This is something he does out of the enjoyment of creating nice kits for folks. With that said he takes his time and makes sure he does a first rate job using only the finest materials out there. On average I would say from time of order and payment I get my kits in around 6-8 months. To many folks that would seem unreasonable, but when you think about it, how many of us can build and nicely finish a custom model in less than that amount of time anyway? He has had his fair share of problems over the years including major health issues and problems with his home as well as internet hacker problems all of which have been a cause for disgruntlement amongst us RCers, but please don't be too quick to judge. We have all had our own issues I am sure and we all make mistakes.
Anyway, I really appreciate Michael's attention to customer service. He offers suggestions of wood choice & grade selection, he makes kit design modifications based on engine choice and he also offers other a sundry services such as design enlargements as well as other scale recommendations, which for me have made my buying experience a real pleasure as he always seems to have the right answers.

As a closing note, for those of you that have been skeptical on kit building and/or especially in using a kit cutting service, I would look up Michael and give him a chance. Make sure your expectations are clearly set and that you understand that you won't get a kit shipped out immediately upon order and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to All and to All a Good Flight!

Cheers - Tom
I too am very happy to have him cut kits for me !!!!!! He does have other businesses he uses to MAKE a ''living''. Kit cutting is a hobby/business of his and does it for us rc'ers. If you can't wait on him I would suggest you keep with assembling ARF"S, either way just get off his back!!!!!!!! He has ALWAYS worked with me as to wood selection and quality. His work is super and takes his time to cut a magnificent kit. He has cut me a Hughes Racer 1/5 scale, Taylor ''cub'' 1/4 scale and an 80'' Taylor ''Cub'', 1/6 scale p-51, P-82 twin mustang, 1/5 Bell Airacobra, 1/5 scale Bearcat, 1/4 Swick Taylorcraft.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 PM
nick.henderson

[QUOTE=fujiman;11745006 If you can't wait on him I would suggest you keep with assembling ARF"S, either way just get off his back!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Would you call waiting since June 2008 impatient??????? Read it TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT!!!!!!
I still do not have the kit i paid for including shipping. Period.
He has NEVER refunded me. Period
He basically stole my money, i paid and he gave nothing in return. Period
I have every e-mail between us for evidence if you want them. Period

To this day, he has not sorted the issue, he never will. The man has behaved in a very despicable manner. More so as i am not a resident of the US!!
The name of Michael Cornells leaves a very, very bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited by nick.henderson; 02-24-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

I feel bad for you and your experience. All I can say at this point is, I don't know what happened in your case, but in mine it has been all good. In fact he is finishing up a kit of a DH Hornet in 1/7 scale and will then move on to my ''Swick'' T-Craft in 1/4 scale. The other kits I mentioned are all beautifully done. I just hope I live long enough to finish all of them.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM
bikerbc

Doing beautiful work for one party does not excuse you from stealing from another . I have heard these stories now for several years and would never consider doing business with the thief . He might be talented but he is a thief in my books . Even if I could purchase a kit from him I would not do it because it would be helping him to stay in business .
Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
nick.henderson

Dear Fujiman,
written as one modeler to another.

As you seem to get on so well with the gentleman,would you consider asking asking him directly if he has ever sent me my outstanding kit? Will he ever do it? Will he ever refund me? It is a 1/3 Curtis R3C2. for the guy in France (who now lives in the Philippines). Also, ask him how long i have been waiting.
Bikerbc makes a very valid point, you may be lucky as obviously i was/am un-lucky. One can not deal with a character who changes like the breeze.

If you cant be bothered to ask him directly, then so be it. However, if you do, you may see Mr Cornell in a very different light.

One thing which really stands out is the lack of customer care.
No contact unless i wrote first.
No direct apology just replies filled with his own personal problems.
No refund.

However good his kits are, that sure is a crap way to treat a customer.

Last edited by nick.henderson; 02-25-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fujiman
I feel bad for you and your experience. All I can say at this point is, I don't know what happened in your case, but in mine it has been all good. In fact he is finishing up a kit of a DH Hornet in 1/7 scale and will then move on to my ''Swick'' T-Craft in 1/4 scale. The other kits I mentioned are all beautifully done. I just hope I live long enough to finish all of them.
Why not let him know you would be willing to wait on your Hornet and T-Craft a bit longer while he takes care of Mr. Henderson's order?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

BAD NEWS.... I'm with nick.henderson. Hes had my down payment so long ago I can't remember when.I'm pretty sure for me it was 2007 and $250.00 deposit. STAY AWAY!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
nick.henderson

I don't want to keep on banging the same old drum, but this is getting to be pretty damming evidence against the gentleman!!!
Although there are satisfied customers out there, there are also those who he has BLATANTLY STOLEN from.

Come on Fujiman, step up to the mark and help out your fellow modelers.

Chad...briliant idea by the way...love it!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 PM
thesmo
My Feedback: (10)

Does anyone know where he is now? Trying to reach him
Old 09-28-2016, 04:05 AM
nick.henderson

Originally Posted by thesmo
Does anyone know where he is now? Trying to reach him
Sir, dont bother........ unless you want to throw your money away like a load of us have done. Read this thread, do a Google search, it all comes up with the SAME stuff. The guy is bad news!!!

Of course....if you are a debt recovery agency and you are going to get our money back....good luck, go get 'em tiger!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:29 AM
thesmo

Thanks for your reply here. Last I heard he went in for a heart operation But then nothing. I am trying to find out where he is and if he is all right. I have known him for 20 years. He has always been and done well by me. I looked after his Web pages for him and although slow did get quality kits from him. If he is doing okay then he would reply. Again thanks for your message.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:28 AM
chasrb

Thumbs down

I ordered a kit from Cornell in 2006, it took over 20 months and then it was total CRAP. I have many many emails and I even talked with him. He is a one man show and cannot deliver even when he has hired someone as he did in 2007. My longerons were cut of home depot low end wood that was warped almost to cork screw and had all the cut fiberes still on the sticks. None of the parts were cut properly. I still look in that kit and wonder, can it be saved? Sure by paying another cutter to do it right.

He may have been an okay cutter when he started, but I will never recommend this guy. Lesson learned, not going to repeat it.

I do not wish him ill, only that he be honest and forthright in his dealings.

Chasman
Old 10-28-2016, 09:48 AM
thesmo

Does good by one and crap by another, hmmm? Well like I said always done good by me. But yes he is slow.