Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP P51 40 kit Mustang pushrod substitution?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP P51 40 kit Mustang pushrod substitution?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP P51 40 kit Mustang pushrod substitution?

Maybe not the correct section to post this in but I was wanting to know if what I am planing to do with the push rods on this plane will be strong enough. The kit comes with full length metal pushrods on which short section of inner plastic pushrod material is pushed over the top of and then this combination is placed inside of a plastic pushrod sleeve that is glued into the fuselage. I wanted to replace the full length metal push rods with 2.0 mm carbon fiber rods using the same method of placing the small plastic sleeves on the pushrods. It is no doubt in my mind that they are stiff enough as they are stiffer than the metal rods. I have the plastic tubes pretty straight so there is hardly a bend in the carbon rod.

My question is the connection between the carbon pushrods and the connector. I have used a small piece of metal pushrod bent into a z-bend at the end of the pushrod and wrapped them together with nylon thread. Then I used thin ca to saturate the connection. The photo is below. The other end was going to be a brass threaded connector with a sleeve built into the end of it, used normaly to be soldered onto a metal pushrod. I was going to epoxy it on the end of the carbon fiber.

Does anybody see a problem with the strength of these connections for a 40 size plane?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brass pushrod.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	1955819   Click image for larger version

Name:	pushrod.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	1955820  

Last edited by flybyjohn; 01-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.