Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't remember any strange crashes. But i have flown in some strange place. Like a place sarounded by trees, you had to take off and land from the same hole in the trees, no go arounds. Flew out of a spot were u had to take of and land in a semi circle and i guess the best was the field were you had to chass the cows off the runway before u landed.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SKYLARY FLYER
I AM 87 STILL FLING 72 MHG KRAFT RADIOS & FUTABA XMITTERS.
I WAS A KRAFT RPAIRMAN FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS. SOME MODELERS ARE CONVERTING THEM TO 2.4 GIGS, BUT I PLAN TO DO THAT ON ONE OF MY 6 KRAFT XMITTERS & SELL THE REST.
STEEL PUSH RODS FOR RUDDER & elevator have been proved at our flying site to be a bad idea. golden rod outer & inner are fine. you can use some carbon fiber push rods as well they dont need an outer tube.
i have run my antenna thru a plastic tube along the bottom of my fuse for years on 72 mhg. yes steel rods can & do act as a reflector or absorber on 72 mhg. you dont need to anchor the push rod tubebut just one place not far from the servo. allow for servo arm swing and rod swing. this is the point to glue the outer tube. the inniner & outer tube have different expansion rates & compensate for temp changes when glued this way. please dont use steel push ros TRAINERMASTER80.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:31 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by c-crunch
I don't remember any strange crashes. But i have flown in some strange place. Like a place sarounded by trees, you had to take off and land from the same hole in the trees, no go arounds. Flew out of a spot were u had to take of and land in a semi circle and i guess the best was the field were you had to chass the cows off the runway before u landed.
There was an old field back in the 70s on the north side a OKC near some old oil wells we had to abandon. Everyone was suffering radio failure in the same area. Turns out Ma Bell had built one of those high powered relay stations and if you got in the beam it was "Good night nurse!". You loss control period, no throttle, no elevator, no rudder, Nada. All you could do is watched it do whatever it thought was the last command or the beam told it to do.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm

How about one of those anti-bark dog collars they sell. Set one up tuned to turn on to electric motor noise. I would not use one on a dog however.
I had a 16-2 hand Belgian/quarterhorse cross gelding that would jump a 4" fence to get to greener grass. He would only do it at one corner where the lay of the slope was conducive to his clearing the fence. I added another dog collar to my E-collar that I used to train my Brittany and placed it around his neck. I took a chaise lounge down to the end of the paddock with some beers and when he would get near that corner, I would zap him.

He was peeved at me for weeks, but he never tried to jump the fence again.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 09-21-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Captcrunch44

OKC
The field with the cows was in San Antonio Texas were i was flying my ace extra 230 doing a nice low level knife edge down the runway when it went crazy and balled itself up on the runway. After I pick up the pieces and got back to the pit area, someone ask what channel i was on and I said 36 why. He said (o no) I said what is this o no s*%# stuff. He said ( we don't fly on 36 round here do to interference issues) I said thanks for telling me now.
I am not blaming anyone I should've done a more thorough radio check before i took off, the funny thing about it, it was intermittent problem.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

OKC
The field with the cows was in San Antonio Texas were i was flying my ace extra 230 doing a nice low level knife edge down the runway when it went crazy and balled itself up on the runway. After I pick up the pieces and got back to the pit area, someone ask what channel i was on and I said 36 why. He said (o no) I said what is this o no s*%# stuff. He said ( we don't fly on 36 round here do to interference issues) I said thanks for telling me now.
I am not blaming anyone I should've done a more thorough radio check before i took off, the funny thing about it, it was intermittent problem.
Timing is everything and in the case of you and me it SUCKS!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:00 PM
SrTelemaster150

OKC
They should have not even had a pin for #36 on the frequency control board & had a warning posted.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Captcrunch44

That is true lucky for Me i always carry an extra RC&TX cristal with me. I just switch it out on my 4*60 and the flew the wing off and had great weekend

Last edited by Captcrunch44; 09-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
SKYLARY FLYER
I AM 87 STILL FLING 72 MHG KRAFT RADIOS & FUTABA XMITTERS.
I WAS A KRAFT RPAIRMAN FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS. SOME MODELERS ARE CONVERTING THEM TO 2.4 GIGS, BUT I PLAN TO DO THAT ON ONE OF MY 6 KRAFT XMITTERS & SELL THE REST.
STEEL PUSH RODS FOR RUDDER & elevator have been proved at our flying site to be a bad idea. golden rod outer & inner are fine. you can use some carbon fiber push rods as well they dont need an outer tube.
i have run my antenna thru a plastic tube along the bottom of my fuse for years on 72 mhg. yes steel rods can & do act as a reflector or absorber on 72 mhg. you dont need to anchor the push rod tubebut just one place not far from the servo. allow for servo arm swing and rod swing. this is the point to glue the outer tube. the inniner & outer tube have different expansion rates & compensate for temp changes when glued this way. please dont use steel push ros TRAINERMASTER80.
TM80 - The reflection/absorbtion thing on 72MHz is exactly what I've been hearing most of my RC life, which is why I've never used a solid rod before. still pondering about it - no actions yet (probably will decide before the weekend though). Most likely going to go with my normal tried and true rod/wood/rod but using the upgraded sizes for strength where it wasn't before.

OMG, you guys are FUNNY! If I tried some of your stunts my other half would put ME in a dog collar and push the button to see what would happen (knowing full well what would happen). You remind me of a story/joke I saw on the web some time back. Pretty sure I saved it to the 'puter - might just have to copy it for here. I laughed until I couldn't see the screen anymore. Yeah, gonna have to look for it.

The Belgian/QH thing - if I did that to my arabian, he'd probably plant it back down my throat (or up my rump). OMG, funny!!!!!

Understood about the Ch-36 thing. My own field has an issue with ch-44, but only in one spot, about 100'x100' and ground to about 40' high. Directly between the town garage and town offices - GOTTA assume it's a microwave antenna beam I'm getting near. Learned a long time ago to do my approach over this area (when the wind demands it) a bit higher and drop after I clear it. Only one plane's effected by it - my 1967-era DeBolt Champ Mk-II. When I got into the area (always on landing approach) the plane would go to full throttle and pull up sharply. She'd climb like a homesick angel to about 40-50' and then settle back into her approach. Happened 6-7 times before I got smart.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 PM
skylark-flier

Default Off topic - only a guy would do this

Found it!!!
OK guys, this is an example of my totally strange sense of humor (or what my wife calls "my wierdness"). And, let me apologize first, before you even read it. SORRY...

Only A Guy Would Do This

A man goes to the store to buy his lovely wife a "pocket Taser" for their anniversary.

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked my interest. The occasion was our 22nd anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my wife Toni. What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser were supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety.... WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded two triple-a batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs. Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Toni what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-a batteries, right?!!!

There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect her self against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, taser in another. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries.

All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5" long, less than ¾ inch in circumference; pretty cute really and loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-a batteries thinking to myself, "no possible way!"

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best.....

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, "don't do it master," reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY MOTHER, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION@!@$$!%!@*!!!

I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs. The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, "do it again, do it again!"

Note: If you ever feel compelled to "mug" yourself with a taser, one note of caution: there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. A three second burst would be considered conservative.

SON-OF-A-.. that hurt like %$#@&!!! A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they up get there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs.

I'm still looking for my testicles? I'm offering a significant reward for their safe return.

Still in shock,
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Captcrunch44

Don't ever put something that funny on here again, took me 5 minutes to finish reading It, iwas laughing so hard. I haven't laughed that much in while. Took ten minutes to write this out had to stop and dry my eyes twice.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 AM
Captcrunch44

I am stil laughing thanks I needed that
Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

A true classic Skylark Flyer! I'm glad I put my coffee cup down BEFORE I read it!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Word of caution, Do NOT read at work, unless you want people to give you weird looks!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Someone pull his pilot's card as tasing one's self has to be grounds for grounding all of his planes. I bet he's never going to experiment like that again
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Word of caution, Do NOT read at work, unless you want people to give you weird looks!
You assume the members on this thread don't already get weird looks from their coworkers!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:02 PM
skylark-flier

Hey Hydro - I'm betting a lot more than just his planes are grounded.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'll bet after this stunt if he found his testicles his wife put them in a mayonnaise jar on top of the fridge for safe keeping!
Old 09-21-2016, 05:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'll bet after this stunt if he found his testicles his wife put them in a mayonnaise jar on top of the fridge for safe keeping!
Only if she wants to have kids in the foreseeable future. If not, she may have fed them to a local dog as a snack or threw them in the trash if she didn't know what they were
Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Captcrunch44

So do you guys think a 90cc engine will be big enough for the rascal 168?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
skylark-flier

Should be - probably actually somewhat of an overkill, but you'd always have MORE THAN ENOUGH power. Kit calls for 50-60cc.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Captcrunch44

Cool.
I'm just making sure before I drop large bills on a engine.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Cool.
I'm just making sure before I drop large bills on a engine.
Well if it doesn't work out you can send it to me so you don't have to look at it! ;-)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:03 AM
Captcrunch44

Okc
i can't seem to find a application for jobs in the salt mines. I am thinking the kids would only have to work for a couple of months to pay for the engine.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:21 AM
spaceworm

[QUOTE=c-crunch;12259344]OKC
The field with the cows ..., someone ask what channel i was on and I said 36 why. .../QUOTE]

Must be the cows, A field i used to fly at had cows, and a problem with CH 36 (that I flew on). Another problem was that the cows were kept off the runway by an electric fence just about 50 feet parallel to the runway. If you landed (crashed) where the cows were, you had to very carefully climb over the energized fence to get the plane (pieces), The cows were not a problem, they kept away from the runway while we were flying.

Another field was built on a landfill, and aside from the runoff pond that would probably dissolve your engine and the planes finish, there was a resident llama, AND an ostrich, free to roam the field where we flew. The llama would pick at your hat and spit at you if you protested, and the ostrich would try to eat the rubber bands holding your wing on. The irregular field surface did, however, have, in the middle of the runway, a slope much like a jump jet ramp that could help you get airborne if the grass was too high (often), or, more likely, thrust your plane into the air before Vr

Two other fields opened up soon after those experiences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.