Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice list Old Sterling!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
J T Caldwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please add me. I have a mini-plane, Kougar, J-3.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsterling
1971 SIG Super Crusier FF w/COX .049
1972 SIG Sinbad Towline Glider
1989 SIG Kadet Senior w/ENYA .35 R/C
1989 SIG SkyRay C/L w/COX .049
1990 SIG Kavalier w/ENYA .35
1990 SIG Hummer w/COX TD .049
1995 SIG Astro Hog (mid-air collision 11NOV09)
1997 2 SIG Fazers, one red, one blue
2000 SIG Somethin' EXTRA with a K&B Screaming .48
2000 SIG Kadet Senorita using the HP 21 VT for power.
2008 SIG Four Star 40
2009 SIG Smith MiniPlane
2010 SIG Kougar II
GACK!

What the heck is a Kougar II? An ARF?

I built 21 Sig Kougars but don't remember ever seeing a "II" on the box. Of course, I don't have one now...
Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
GACK!

What the heck is a Kougar II? An ARF?

I built 21 Sig Kougars but don't remember ever seeing a "II" on the box. Of course, I don't have one now...
Not an ARF. Far as I know, going all the way back to 1981, the technical full name for this bird was a Kougar Mark II. Most will leave off the "Mark II" portion of the name when talking about it though. There was also the SIG Kobra and King Kobra.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Live Wire

Looks like every body on Sig Brotherhood is on face book!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm not and probably will never be. It's the same for Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm not and probably will never be. It's the same for Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Same here.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Ditto. Facebook is creepy!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer
Ditto. Facebook is creepy!
Most people get on Facebook so they can reach out to brag about their Cinderella life stories.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Yes...you will never see me on any social media web site.

oldsterling...you are the first one that I have noticed that had the Fazer other than me.

Greg
Old 02-19-2014, 02:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am on Facebook because of the photography I do for RCU, but I don't post there. The funny thing is that I do IT for a living. I have been into computers since before most people knew what a computer was. I have been doing computers for close to 40 years now. And to be totally honest with you I wish it would all go away. I feel it is going to destroy society. Seriously.

There are studies now showing that people using Facebook are showing legitimate drops in intelligence because they don't need to remember anything any more. People are losing social skills because they don't talk any more. People are losing memory skills because they take a cell phone picture of everything anymore. My goodness, I'm guilty of it too, I don't remember phone numbers any more because they are all stored in my phone. Technology really is destroying society. Mark my words boys. Yes, that comes from the Forum Manager of an Online Forum!!!! I wish we could all go back to the days before computers when we talked to each other, sat on the porch, built our own planes, and actually sat down and enjoyed life!!!!

Ok, off the soap box now!!!!

Ken
Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
I am on Facebook because of the photography I do for RCU, but I don't post there. The funny thing is that I do IT for a living. I have been into computers since before most people knew what a computer was. I have been doing computers for close to 40 years now. And to be totally honest with you I wish it would all go away. I feel it is going to destroy society. Seriously.

There are studies now showing that people using Facebook are showing legitimate drops in intelligence because they don't need to remember anything any more. People are losing social skills because they don't talk any more. People are losing memory skills because they take a cell phone picture of everything anymore. My goodness, I'm guilty of it too, I don't remember phone numbers any more because they are all stored in my phone. Technology really is destroying society. Mark my words boys. Yes, that comes from the Forum Manager of an Online Forum!!!! I wish we could all go back to the days before computers when we talked to each other, sat on the porch, built our own planes, and actually sat down and enjoyed life!!!!

Ok, off the soap box now!!!!

Ken
Wheres the LIKE button?

LOL

Speaking of FB.

Have you joined the SIG BROTHERHOOD on RC Universe? A gathering place for all who love SIG airplanes. (Not to be confused with the SIG KADET BROTHERHOOD on the same forum).
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...otherhood.html
Pretty cool that SIG put this thread on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/SIG-M...55006604526046
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Not an ARF. Far as I know, going all the way back to 1981, the technical full name for this bird was a Kougar Mark II. Most will leave off the "Mark II" portion of the name when talking about it though. There was also the SIG Kobra and King Kobra.
Yeah, and I built one of each of those! The Kobra had a built up wing but the King Kobra was skinned foam ala Kougar. I guess you are right, they were all Kougar Mark II's. I think the original did not have as much rudder or something different in the turtle deck now that I think about it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Live Wire

And nobody is on Facebook LOL
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then I guess that makes me SOMEBODY. I'm not on Facebook for the same reasons you guys aren't., I don't feel the overwhelming urge to be connected to the immediate planet 24-7
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm with RCKen, I have been an IT professional since 1994 and was into computers back in the 8806 days. I think so call social media is a curse and I don't carry a cell phone unless I'm traveling. My house still has a land line too. When the twin towers went down in NYC they took the cell network with them but the land lines still functioned. There is something to be said by the old way of doing things and not embracing technology just because it's new. And before any of the Alec brothers speaks up, the smart ones any way, I do use 72 MHz AND 2.4 GHz radios in my airplanes.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 AM
SrTelemaster150

I'm playing "Words with Freinds" as we speak. I got on Face Book a few years ago to reconnect W/my school mates & I also use it to annoy my "conservative' relatives W/political memes.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 AM
acdii

I have to agree with you on that one, Technology is OK, but people are becoming way too dependent on it. When you have a group of teens standing around texting each other, standing right next to the person they are texting, something is wrong. Hello! Stupid, they are right in front of you! Can't you speak? My kids school had a meeting about giving the kids Ipads, my wife went, so did quite a few parents, and a good majority of them were against it. They shelved it for a few years.

Makes me wonder what would happen if the power grid failed and these devices no longer functioned. Oh Lawdy how will they survive having to SOCIALIZE with their faces to other faces and not with their thumbs!

Anyhow, FB does have its merits, I have a group account for the B-17 restoration, and it has helped bring in help and some well needed funds to continue the project. It's also nice to keep up on new products from SIG, Top Flite and a few others. Overall though I get PO by all the crap that is posted about how screwed up the government has become along with this monstrosity of healthcare, so I mainly just look at the SIG and other related posts and ignore the rest.

I thought it was pretty cool that they found this thread though and posted it.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What is so frustrating to me is how Facebook is destroying people's reality about relationships. Here's one I love. I have XXX (fill in the exact number) of friends. I call BS. I love those people that like to collect so called "friends". Try this one on for size. How many of those so called "friends" can you call at 2 am in a pouring rain to come and help you with a broken down car?? Really?? Don't know the exact number??? I'll tell you a secret? Of the friends that I fly with, I can tell you exactly how many of them who would come and help me out!!!!

Another one I love is when I hear "I reconnected with a friend that I haven't talked to in 30 years!". Really?? If you haven't talked to them in 30 years were they really your friend to start with??? There are 2 people that I am still in touch with 30 years from when I got out of high school and they truly are my friends, the rest of the people from my school I could care less if I ever talk to again. They weren't my friends then and they aren't now.

Now don't get me wrong, I do realize there are some situations like the B-17 group above where Facebook can help out in organizing and getting together. But overall I think that Facebook and social media in general is ruining society and has nothing of great benefit to offer to it. I for one choose not to participate in it even though I make my living from working in the IT world. I have seen far too many lives ruined because of technology.

Ken
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM
SushiHunter

Yeah, and I built one of each of those! The Kobra had a built up wing but the King Kobra was skinned foam ala Kougar. I guess you are right, they were all Kougar Mark II's. I think the original did not have as much rudder or something different in the turtle deck now that I think about it.
Actually.....I was thinking about this question a while and there may have been two different Kougars at one time. Not sure what the difference would have been though. It just seems vaguely familiar to me. After thinking about it, I decided to do a little research last night and did see that some Kougars didn't have the "Mark II" on the box while other's did. But same exact pictures on the box, just the Mark II difference. Perhaps it was a date thing where at a certain time, they added the Mark II to the name. But again, the picture on the box is exactly the same with or without the Mark II in the title.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kougar.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1970596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kougar2.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1970597  
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
SrTelemaster150

Most people get on Facebook so they can reach out to brag about their Cinderella life stories.
The same W/"internei forums".

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 02-20-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Um, question, not about Facebook.

My collection of planes is composed almost entirely of Sig kits, not by conscious decision, but just because they make the kind of planes I like. There is one in particular though that I do really want at some point, and of coarse it's long since out of production and very hard to find. I'm talking about the Komander. I have never actually seen one in kit form and I understand that there were no plans per say that could be scratch built off of. Anyone have any ideas? My drafting and scratch building skills are well above average, I can work with pretty basic sketches or even pieces of a wrecked plane if I have too.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Jim Branaum

Actually.....I was thinking about this question a while and there may have been two different Kougars at one time. Not sure what the difference would have been though. It just seems vaguely familiar to me. After thinking about it, I decided to do a little research last night and did see that some Kougars didn't have the "Mark II" on the box while other's did. But same exact pictures on the box, just the Mark II difference. Perhaps it was a date thing where at a certain time, they added the Mark II to the name. But again, the picture on the box is exactly the same with or without the Mark II in the title.

Betcha' it was nothing more than a printing issue....though my memory of that turtle deck might be of the Kobra and not the Kougar. Oh well...

Did you ever figure out how to make it into a tail dragger? My primary field went from pavement to grass and with the extended gear to support a 4 stroke, I could not make effective takeoffs with that nose dragger.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
SushiHunter

Betcha' it was nothing more than a printing issue....though my memory of that turtle deck might be of the Kobra and not the Kougar. Oh well...

Did you ever figure out how to make it into a tail dragger? My primary field went from pavement to grass and with the extended gear to support a 4 stroke, I could not make effective takeoffs with that nose dragger.
I've never built a Kobra so not sure how it's constructed. But from the pix I see, it seems virtually identical to the Kougar with the exception of a few very little differences. From the pix I've seen, I think they both have the same type of turtle deck, both the Kobra and King Kobra compared to the Kougar. I'll have to look at them a little bit closer next time I get the chance just to see. I've never heard of anyone converting one of these into a tail dragger though. Electric....yes, tail dragger...no. That would be interesting to see. The weirdest Kougar I've ever seen was a twin Kougar Mark II. It had two entire fuselages completed each with engine, nose gear and stabilizers. The plane shared the same wing. Very strange bird that was. I remember seeing pix of it in a magazine back in the early 80's and recently has seen a kit on ebay of it.

Here's pix of it out of a magazine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Kougar.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1970613  

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-20-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM
acdii

Is it possible that the MkII had some construction enhancements, but keeps the same basic airframe? I can still look the same, but maybe has a different build method or structural changes to increase its strength. Maybe someone from SIG could look into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.