Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Gretz
The gathering of the SIG BROTHERHOOD at Toledo was great fun. It was good to put faces to the names we see here. Thank you to RCKEN for coming up with this idea of a meet-and-greet at the SIG booth. It was a last minute effort so we had no idea how many would show up.

I can ID some of the guys in the photo (I talked to everyone in the photo, but if it was the first time we've met I'm bad about remembering names - I usually start to remember about the fourth time we've met).

SIG CEO Herb Rizzo is holding the new green SOMETHIN EXTRA ARF that was debuted at Toledo (also comes in red and white).

Barely visible on Herb's left shoulder, looking sideways, is SIG co-owner Ron Petterec.

Holding the new 70in span T-CLIPS ARF is RCU's own video interviewer/product reviewer Geoff Barber.

Loving the HOG-BIPE kit is RCKEN himself.

Holding the SEALANE kit is another RCU product reviewer and all around great guy Jim Buzzeo. Hmmm ... why would a guy from Minnesota be holding a seaplane?

acdii, are you in the photo?

There were more members of the brotherhood who were at the show on Friday but couldn't stay until the gathering on Saturday, so they are not in the photo.

Thanks to all who came. We will do it again at Toledo 2015.

By the way, here is a link to the upcoming SIG FLY-IN in June .. http://www.iflyherr.com/trans/2014_Sig_RC_FlyIn.pdf

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg Co

I'm next to Bob, and between Ken and Geoff(who happens to be the one I was having a hard time trying to remember his name. Hi Geoff!) I'm the one putting the Magnum 91 on the T-clips when I get it!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 AM
acdii

1 - Larry K (Live Wire)
2 - skylark-flier
3 - acdii
4 - RCKen
5 - DGUY
6 - DBD1
7 - fix-n-fly
8 - foodstick
9 - UPF-7
10 - jeffie8696
11 - skyrat71
12 - Leroy Gardner
13 - CanDo
14 - JPMacG
15 - Thunder Chicken
16 - 5skyhawk172
17 - Cutlass 60
18 - Mr-Punk
19 - Sabreryder
20 - eastkurt
21 - FlyerInOKC
22 - rtn9105
23 - oliveDrab
24 - triumphman49
25 - ARUP
26 - willig10
27 - malitape
28 - OLDFLYER2
29 - justin80
30 - Jim Branaum
31 - crawler tech
32 - yel914
33 - ThunderBoat42
34 - sbd-3
35 - Thatsakitbuilt
36 - blw
37 - Mike Gretz
38 - Mako17
39 - jeffie8696
40 - deanz406
41 - bchapman
42 - SrTelemaster150
43 - SushiHunter
44 - n8rloves2fly
45 - M_Callahan
46 - carlosponti
47 - xxwolfyxx
48 - landeck
49 - cherokeenut
50 - Mark Thomas
51 - rphiii
52 - n0kjf
53 - cymaz
54 - OldRookie
55 - gosch
56 - ThunderChicken72
57 - lfd47
58 - bikerbc
59 - badger5964
60 - N1EDM
61 - Hfrank
62 - Lowvoltage
63 - US185Damiani
64 - hsukaria
65 - lkruse
66 - Sgt. Meyer
67 - G-JIMG
68 - Hydro Junkie
69 - Twin_Flyer
70 - oldsterling
71 - J T Caldwell
72 - cloudancer03
73 - Super08
74 - Hab
75 - Smashmaster
76 - Rv7garage
77 - Neddy191
78 - JZHANDYMAN
79 - Pete Lane
80 - SIGPlanes
81 - rcmichael
82 - larryshobbies
83 - skyraider71
84 - Hawk570
85 - hogflyer
86 - cubcrasher
87 - chandler_ace
88 - Firewalkerd1
89 - Robin A
90 - GLGofLB
91 - On the Deck
92 - aircraftbuilder67
93 - FJRrider
94 - sdcranford
95 - AMA 74894
96 - W7APD Alan
97 - Bobsrc
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I couldn't be there for the photo, I was with my flying club and they decided to leave Sat morning after spending all day Friday at Toledo. I got to catch up with a lot of my friends including Bob, Mike and the gang. I was also able to get a lot of my concerns addressed. Hope my input on break in fuel works out for SIG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140404_130106.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1985575  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM
bobsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI - The last Bugatti crash was a radio failure after flying with the same radio set since 1996. The first wreck was a landing crash when a 1/4 scale Cub taxied out in front of it just as it was touching down -broken wing but was repaired. Crash two was after Mike and crew goaded me into one more maneuver and it went dead stick and tried to take down a phone line trying to get back to the runway, A new set of wings were built and it was in it's third life when the tx battery plug opened up. It was 16 years old at its' demise.

Bob
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Mike and Bob, thanks for that. It is nice to be able to put a face to a name. Here is a pic of me from last summer out at the field with my Cub. Not a Sig but it is a copy of Hazels Cub.

Doug

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1985597  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
jeffie8696

Hey Bob, I always blame the radio too.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I_Fly

Just want to mention that I ran into a nice bunch of guys in the Sig booth while in Toledo last weekend. I spoke to one of their reps about kits and building for about 5min. I mentioned that I learned to fly with an old Cadet and asked about a few of the newer models. After a few moments he realized the two kids standing near by were with me. He asked if they flew RC and a few other questions. Then then he provided AMA Cub kit (small rubber powered model) for each of them. I was not sure how this would rate with two pre-teen boys with all the flash of light systems, jets, tanks, and everything else. It turns out we were in a hurry to get home and build the kits from that point on. They were assembled and set to dry that night. Test and trimming flights on Sunday went well and were lots of fun. Several kids in the neighborhood were lined up to take their turn launching the models.

What fun,

Carl
Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 262 Likes on 230 Posts

So Jeff, who are the to old reprobates in your picture?

Bob, so where are the pictures? I remember those old radios, I noticed that nervous tick comes back every time I do too!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I_Fly
Just want to mention that I ran into a nice bunch of guys in the Sig booth while in Toledo last weekend. I spoke to one of their reps about kits and building for about 5min. I mentioned that I learned to fly with an old Cadet and asked about a few of the newer models. After a few moments he realized the two kids standing near by were with me. He asked if they flew RC and a few other questions. Then then he provided AMA Cub kit (small rubber powered model) for each of them. I was not sure how this would rate with two pre-teen boys with all the flash of light systems, jets, tanks, and everything else. It turns out we were in a hurry to get home and build the kits from that point on. They were assembled and set to dry that night. Test and trimming flights on Sunday went well and were lots of fun. Several kids in the neighborhood were lined up to take their turn launching the models.

What fun,

Carl

Hey Carl! That all makes you a SIG fan - you should be a member here - and with your Kadet experiences y'need to drop over to the Kadet forum and sign-in there too. Y'er always welcome around here, as are all SIG fans.

Hey y'all, speaking of Kadets, I finally got the new radio installed in my Mk-II and she goes back on the active list as soon as the batteries charge (in other words, she flies tomorrow - - YEAH!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited by skylark-flier; 04-10-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob and MIke in the 'Hood? Awesome! Wish I could have been there with this great bunch. That photo needs to go on the SIG web site. The Tclips looks awesome. I've lost touch with the updates but don't 'we' have TWo planes doing the cross country flights. T Clips being nitro powered? Got to have one w a 4 stroke - if it will fit.

Last edited by ThunderBoat42; 04-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

We need a sig fly in event.there are enough of us still flying sig kitted planes it would be fun and nostogic.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm finally back from Toledo myself. I had to take a detour up to Minnesota to aid Jim in dealing with the RC estate of Jim's brother and my best friends Mike Buzzeo (Minnflyer). It was a great time getting to meet all the Sig Brotherhood at the booth and at the show. I do have a little bit of news to spread around that Mike Gretz gave me at the show.

First up will be a great little build thread. One of my favorite little Sig planes is the Sig Wunder. I've has several and they all seem to meet the same fate, a gruesome death, mainly because they are so much fun to push the limits on. Anyway, in talking with Mike G. he put a Sig Wonder kit in my hands in exchange for a build thread here on RCU. Mike, I know that I said at the show that all of my previous Wunders have all been glow powered and that when you suggested electric I scoffed at you. But on the ride home the more I thought about it the more I thought that would be a really good idea. So I'm think that this new Wunder is going to have an electron tank in it (a.k.a. a battery) instead of a fuel tank!!!

There are some new kits heading our way as well that Mike was telling me about, but until Mike gives me the green light to talk about them I'm not sure I can spill the beans quite yet.

Ken
Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 262 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by rcken
i'm finally back from toledo myself. I had to take a detour up to minnesota to aid jim in dealing with the rc estate of jim's brother and my best friends mike buzzeo (minnflyer). It was a great time getting to meet all the sig brotherhood at the booth and at the show. I do have a little bit of news to spread around that mike gretz gave me at the show.

First up will be a great little build thread. One of my favorite little sig planes is the sig wunder. I've has several and they all seem to meet the same fate, a gruesome death, mainly because they are so much fun to push the limits on. Anyway, in talking with mike g. He put a sig wonder kit in my hands in exchange for a build thread here on rcu. Mike, i know that i said at the show that all of my previous wunders have all been glow powered and that when you suggested electric i scoffed at you. But on the ride home the more i thought about it the more i thought that would be a really good idea. So i'm think that this new wunder is going to have an electron tank in it (a.k.a. A battery) instead of a fuel tank!!!

There are some new kits heading our way as well that mike was telling me about, but until mike gives me the green light to talk about them i'm not sure i can spill the beans quite yet.

Ken
hurrrah! Sig rules!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
We need a sig fly in event.there are enough of us still flying sig kitted planes it would be fun and nostogic.
one OTHER thing Mike Gretz made us aware of is the Sig FLY IN!!! at sig field in Montezuma Iowa.
I THINK it's the first weekend in June... getting details now and will post em.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
http://www.iflyherr.com/trans/2014_Sig_RC_FlyIn.pdf

First part of June in Iowa. I'm trying to get there to myself to cover the event for RCU. I also want to try to do an industry profile article about Sig as well on the company.

Ken
Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 PM
ThunderBoat42

Ken, all good news. Also a company profile to increase exposure is a great idea.
I talked w my LHS today about picking up the SIG planes and they agreed to do so. They are a very large full service shop. With the trend to ARF's I have commited to purchase first one and leave it in shop for exposure.

The flyin is awesome. Don't know if I can make it with Daughter's cheer camp that week. Full time Mr Mom here and no back up.
But will try. What an awesome trip. All you guys and actually seeing the place I've seen pictures of for the last 40 years.

Originally Posted by RCKen
http://www.iflyherr.com/trans/2014_Sig_RC_FlyIn.pdf

First part of June in Iowa. I'm trying to get there to myself to cover the event for RCU. I also want to try to do an industry profile article about Sig as well on the company.

Ken

Last edited by ThunderBoat42; 04-11-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: new touch screen tablet typos
Old 04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
Ken, all good news. Also a company profile to increase exposure is a great idea.
I talked w my LHS today about picking up the SIG planes and they agreed to do so. They are a very large full service shop. With the trend to ARF's I have commited to purchase first one and leave it in shop for exposure.

The flyin is awesome. Don't know if I can make it with Daughter's cheer camp that week. Full time Mr Mom here and no back up.
But will try. What an awesome trip. All you guys and actually seeing the place I've seen pictures of for the last 40 years.
Bring your daughter along and we'll teach her how to fly!!!! A Sig Seniorita and a buddy box would be a great combo to teach her on!!!!

Ken
Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 PM
acdii

I am seeing if I can attend too, bring my SIG planes with and get some flight time in too.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM
ThunderBoat42

She'll be with me if I can make it. About to build her a Kadet. I'm a slow builder though with taxiing lil chicks, home, career etc. - add in a nice day.. Flying. LOL

BTW
I am looking for someone who can build me a modified Kadet wing with flaps and barn door ailerons for a resonable price. .business has picked up (thank goodness). And shop time is suffering.

Last edited by ThunderBoat42; 04-11-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:50 AM
sbd-3

It was fun meeting everyone at the Toledo show... I am in the back row about center of photo(black hat and a long beard) Looking forward to the electric wonder build as I have had 3 of them... #3 is currently flying with a X .15 Supertigre does pretty good but I think electric will be interesting......Jerry
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 AM
jeffie8696

Again, I am sorry I couldn't stay for the photo, the photo I posted is me and my "boss" Mike from BOCA Bearings. It was great to meet up with those people at the show that I have been on the phone with for like 10 years as well as old friends like Bob (and I do mean old) from SIG.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I guess I better plan a trip in june to iowa.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Mike Gretz

Bob, got any pictures of the big Bugatti? I looked here. I don't have any.
It WAS pretty .. even if it was jinxed.

Mike

Originally Posted by bobsrc
FYI - The last Bugatti crash was a radio failure after flying with the same radio set since 1996. The first wreck was a landing crash when a 1/4 scale Cub taxied out in front of it just as it was touching down -broken wing but was repaired. Crash two was after Mike and crew goaded me into one more maneuver and it went dead stick and tried to take down a phone line trying to get back to the runway, A new set of wings were built and it was in it's third life when the tx battery plug opened up. It was 16 years old at its' demise.

Bob
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 AM
Mike Gretz

Carl,

So glad to hear the boys enjoyed the AMA Cubs (aka Delta Darts). I believe it was our SIG co-owner Ron Petterec who gave the kits to the boys (busy writing up an order in this picture). Ron's a great guy.

BTW, photo by Jim T. Graham from the "other" forum RC GROUPS (can I say that here?)

Mike

Originally Posted by I_Fly

What fun,

Carl

Name:	Ron 2014 Toledo_RC Groups_1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1986908  
Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Mike Gretz

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the 40th Annual SIG R/C FLY-IN. Feel free to bring your favorite non-SIG airplanes as well. We don't discriminate. It's all about having fun.

Full details, including the advance entry form, are available here: http://www.iflyherr.com/trans/2014_Sig_RC_FlyIn.pdf

Mike

Name:	RC Flyer Front.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1986909  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.