Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

best top for pinning down too

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

best top for pinning down too

Old 01-01-2024, 12:32 PM
scubajohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best top for pinning down too

i have a very flat table no warps but formica top whats the best stuff to pin to i have a 4x8 surface i am building a pica waco upf-7 have been out of the game for awhile. i used to use homosote but cant find now
thanks
John

Last edited by scubajohn; 01-01-2024 at 12:35 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I use a celing tile from Home Depot
Old 01-02-2024, 06:12 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I also prefer to use ceiling tiles for that. That has worked very well for 40+ years.

On my last kit, I tried the method suggested by OSMW, of tacking parts down (with CA) to wax paper directly on top of hard building surface (bench, with no ceiling tile), and that didn't work out too well. Far too difficult and damaging to model to remove the stuck-on wax paper. I will not use that method again and next time, will go back to using ceiling tiles and pins.

"Back in the day", we also used building sheathing called Celotex (sp?), which came in 4'x8' sheets, and could accept pins kind of like ceiling tiles do. I doubt that Celotex is still available.

Last edited by Outrider6; 01-02-2024 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:53 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Look around Homosoat is still available, you have to find a supplier that's all. In the USA Manard's I heard still carries it.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:34 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a half sheet of Homasoat (sp?) at Menards last summer. I'm sure other vendors around the country still have it. I have seen other materials at building supply places that would also be suitable. Ya just have to go out and do some looking.