Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:41 AM
leojzamboni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pictures were taken by a member of my flying club who is also a photographer. Very professional indeed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1438173296327.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	2111626   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1438173303963.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	2111627   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	2111633   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	2111634  

Last edited by leojzamboni; 07-29-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice one Leo great shots!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:46 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I recently bought a Somethin Extra, and put an OS 70 on it. Was going to maiden it last week, but the OS was being a b**ch. I got the engine running great now, and today was the maiden. It flew GREAT! I was a little worried it would be a tail chaser on take off like the T-clips, but it is nothing like that at all. It tracks perfectly when the tail comes up, a little rudder correction is immediate, and even in a cross wind it goes where I point it. Takes off in under 1/2 throttle. I got 3 flights in today on a half tank of fuel. First landing, it bounced, and bounced, then veered toward me, then after correcting, bounced a final time, killing the engine. I put it on the table, checked it all out, started up and again, nice perfect take off. Flew it around a bit more to double check trim, then landed again, this time getting it slowed down a bit more before touching down, but wound up bouncing a couple times, again killing the engine. This is all roght to left flying too, so from my weak side for landing, mainly due to distance from end of runway to where i stand, and that I have to come around the backside of a pole barn and between it and some trees, pointing it right at me, before turning away to the right(of the plane) to line up for landing.

OK, get the engine started again, and same as the first two, really nice take off. Now I start to play with it a bit, all at low rates, which is plenty for now, and it flew great, Nice tight loops, decent knife edge, and did a couple tail stands, did hover it for a few moments, then pushed full down and flew it out of it. This time I got the plane slowed down on landing, and it was beautiful! Perfect 3 point, slow smooth, soft, looked like I had been landing for years. This plane can fly so slow and doesnt tend to do bad things like I expected when it gets slow. This will be a fun plane once I get the hang of it, its FAST too!

SIG, Great PLANE!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You guys are terrible. I'm still working on my modified Kadet Jr, when I have the time and you guys are putting up plane after plane. Any advise on building a plane faster so I can join in on the fun?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You guys are terrible. I'm still working on my modified Kadet Jr, when I have the time and you guys are putting up plane after plane. Any advise on building a plane faster so I can join in on the fun?
Give up work, family, and sleeping?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie

Get an ARF! *snicker*

I still have several planes under construction, BUT wanted to fly the Somethin Extra this year so got the ARF instead of the kit. I worked on my Biper Cub yesterday, started the struts, but found out I somehow got metric instead of SAE T-nuts installed, I thought they were 4-40, but turns out they are 2.5 mm. DOH!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Get an ARF! *snicker*
I DON'T DO ARFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes I saw the "snicker" but, you have to remember, Sig doesn't make the Kadet Jr anymore and have never released it as an ARF so that just won't work. Besides, I've redesigned the wing so it doesn't match the kit anymore. I guess that means I'm stuck with a slow build
Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Just finished my latest SIG kit yesterday, the SSE kit with an OS .46AXII. Slightly modded, I added a Sullivan tailwheel, Dubro main gear, and blind nuts on the wingtips in case I decide to try some SFG's in the future. Also changed the tail hinges to Robart pin hinges as I was having difficulty slotting the balsa back there. Hope to maiden her in the next week or two!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2114967   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2114968   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2114969  
Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Fantastic Daywalker! I'm with you Hydro, friends don't let friends buy ARFs!!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:58 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by daywalker
Just finished my latest SIG kit yesterday, the SSE kit with an OS .46AXII. Slightly modded, I added a Sullivan tailwheel, Dubro main gear, and blind nuts on the wingtips in case I decide to try some SFG's in the future. Also changed the tail hinges to Robart pin hinges as I was having difficulty slotting the balsa back there. Hope to maiden her in the next week or two!

Pretty Airplane....Classic Lines and a great color scheme.

One thing about those ARF Guys out there.......they keep feeding me with broken stuff to fix and resell so I can keep my wife!!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 AM
acdii

Think next year after I finish the Biper Cub, I will start the Citabria. Need to make a rack to hold these planes in my truck. Right now I have two kit built and one arf back there. My LT-40, Cub and Somethin Extra fit nicely, but I also want to take my T-Clips. The only one I cant fit back there is the 4*120, wing is too long, and so is the Fuse. Maybe I will build a platform to sit on the bed rails so the fuse will fit, and put the wing on an angle.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:44 PM
trainermaster80

Hello acdii, wow! An os 70, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? What prop did you use? I could only get a 11/6 as the landing gear is low on the Extra.
I had 2 somthing Extras with Enya 2 stroke engines. Flew like a bat outa hell. Loved this airplane. The first one lasted 1 year whe. On a rather windy day i was doing outside cuban 8's i got too low and a strong wind gust came up & pulled into the ground.
The second one lasted a year & a 1/2. A U Control modeler came on the flite line to ask me what plane it was and pulling on my shoulder to get my attention he knocked the xmitter out of my hand & in it went. Well his ears were smoking when he left the field from me & several other modelers. At 86 i have moved on to larger planes. Currently building a dynqaflite super decathlon. Glad you enjoy it.keep em flyin .TRAINERMASTER80

Last edited by trainermaster80; 08-18-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: SPELLING & ADITIONAL INFO
Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 PM
acdii

Its an FS-70 4 stroke. Good runner too, though my second to last flight was a dead stick and last flight felt like it had throttle issues. I have since replumbed the tank, looks like the clunk line had a thin spot, so whether it was sucking air or not, dont know. Was planning on flying tonight, but it is storming, along with a Tornado watch. I have a 13x6 APC on it and no clearance issues, except when I bounce it in. LOL So far out of 6 flights, I only landed once that did not kill the engine, and it was a nice 3 point landing. It damn near harriered down to a landing on that one. The trick is getting it slow enough, and with coming from my right, its further away visually than when from my left, so hard to judge speed when landing in that direction.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:59 PM
trainermaster80

acdii, a 13-6 would noy clear the ground on either of my two extres. as i said before i could only get a 11-6 on mine & if i did not make a smoothe landing i broke a prop.
did you increase the landing gear heigth or did sig. the extra is a fun flyer.
TRAINERMASTER80. WHAT WILL YOU BUILD NEXT?
Old 08-23-2015, 03:35 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
acdii, a 13-6 would noy clear the ground on either of my two extres. as i said before i could only get a 11-6 on mine & if i did not make a smoothe landing i broke a prop.
did you increase the landing gear heigth or did sig. the extra is a fun flyer.
TRAINERMASTER80. WHAT WILL YOU BUILD NEXT?
Nothing modded on mine, in fact using the stock motor mounts. I flew yesterday and the winds had picked up which became some strong cross winds. I did manage to break the prop on it on the last landing, came in too hard and nosed down. If i remember to I will get a picture of the plane with the 13x6 on it. My first flight yesterday was another dead stick, this time the fuel line came off the carb. I secured it with a cable tie, and second flight lasted much longer, had quite a bit of fun with it getting the hang of it on low rates, and tested high rates, a little, boy can it axial spin nicely. I got a little wreckless with my LT-40, hovered it 50' off the ground. It responds pretty good until gravity finally grabs it and flips the nose down.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM
trainermaster80

acdii,
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. GLAD YOU ARE ENJOYING YOUR EXTRA S I DID BOTH OF MINE. KEEP EM FLYING
TRAINERMASTER80
Old 08-23-2015, 05:17 PM
acdii

Anybody who has met Bob Nelson should know about his Bugatti Racer he build, saw him fly it last year too. This should make him happy, the original has flown again!

http://www.airspacemag.com/ist/?next...ght-180956361/
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to start my Sig Riser glider build as soon as I figure out the power system.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM
acdii

I am surprised I have not totaled out my LT-40 by now. I abuse the hell out of that plane. Last night I was doing hairpin turns, tumbling it around, Highspeed dives, flips, dips, drops, hops, you name it, and it just keeps going. I did find a hinge has broken on the right aileron near the fuse, so going to need to rehinge that one. Giving some thought to getting 2" aileron stock and replacing the stock ones and putting more throw, see how much more stress I can put into the plane.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

The LT40 is a great design very forgiving when it comes to abuse. Its the Timex watch of trainers. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"
Old 08-27-2015, 04:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The LT40 is a great design very forgiving when it comes to abuse. Its the Timex watch of trainers. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"
If flown too fast, I have seen them develop aileron flutter. The result weren't pretty.

They are a great airframe, though. If I didn't already have two Kadet Senior Sports, I'd build an LT-40.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:48 AM
daywalker

Originally Posted by skyraider71
I'm about to start my Sig Riser glider build as soon as I figure out the power system.
Built one of those years ago, great kit but needs some strengthening in the fuselage right behind the wing saddle. Mine broke in two a couple of times there.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by TomCrump
If flown too fast, I have seen them develop aileron flutter. The result weren't pretty.

They are a great airframe, though. If I didn't already have two Kadet Senior Sports, I'd build an LT-40.
I have had total aileron failure, the rudder can compensate quit well. Twice the aileron servo took a crap and both times was able to fly it with rudder only. ALmost at the point where I will need to remove the ailerons and rehinge though.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Pork Chop

Originally Posted by acdii
I am surprised I have not totaled out my LT-40 by now. I abuse the hell out of that plane. Last night I was doing hairpin turns, tumbling it around, Highspeed dives, flips, dips, drops, hops, you name it, and it just keeps going. I did find a hinge has broken on the right aileron near the fuse, so going to need to rehinge that one. Giving some thought to getting 2" aileron stock and replacing the stock ones and putting more throw, see how much more stress I can put into the plane.
Me too! I put my LT-40 through its paces, full deflection aerobatics, etc. She flew really fast for her size with a Tower .46 up front, BTW why aren't those available anymore? Great engines and they were incredibly powerful, ran like a top! Anyways, the LT-40 is a great flyer like the Kadet MKII I learned to fly on.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Pork Chop

Originally Posted by skyraider71
Skyraider71,

I built a 2M Riser 15 years ago, I built her stock and she flew very well. I'm almost done with my Riser 100 which I'm building with a power 25 motor up front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.