Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Volcanxxx
Lt25, astrohog, ultimate profile bipe, hogbipe
That's a great stable of planes!!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 AM
skylark-flier

Default New history of sig website is online!!!

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
I am wondering what happened to the website with all the Sig plane kit history which was at:
http://www.wanderings-ds.com/whs/sig-history-1.html
It's back!!!!!!! New SIG history website established and finished. All kits/ARFs are there and current (active/discontinued).

http://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/

It's a "free" website, so there's going to be advertising on it - sorry 'bout dat. However, price is right and it's not half-bad looking at all.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 AM
skylark-flier

Hokay! Over on the Kadet B'hood, Richard (thanks man!) found a typo of mine - SIGRC59 Spacewalker II kit is 1/4 scale, not 1/3 scale. That's corrected now.

Also, just this morning I found pics of 3 new kits - two of which are a FIRST pic.
SIGRC-1 Skyhawk, the 2nd pic is new - taken from worthington auction
SIGKBRC-5 Skyhawk (Kwik-bilt) is the first pic I've ever seen of this kit.
SIGRC13-Cessna170 - newly built from original plans

There are only a few planes that I don't have anything at all on. One day, with some luck, I'll fill out the whole list.

Just for the record, these are the planes that I have ZERO information on. If anyone should find anything at all on them I would appreciate knowing.

SIGCL-5 Fokker D-VII
SIGCL-7 P-47 Thunderbolt
SIGCL-9 AT-6 Texan
SIGCL10 Snipper
SIGCL18 Kricket
SIGKBCL2 P-40 Warhawk

SIGRC-6 Midget-450
SIGRC-9 Buster
SIGRC10 Simco (Balsa wing)
SIGRC11 Simco (Foam/balsa wing)
SIGRC12 Simco (Foam/ply wing)
SIGKBRC-3 Minnow (quarter-midget racer)

Last edited by skylark-flier; 10-03-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:35 AM
bobsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for some background the CL-7 P-47, the CL-9 AT-6, and the RC-9 Buster were all updates of Berkeley kits that Sig bought from Fox Mfg in the 1960's.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 AM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by bobsrc
Just for some background the CL-7 P-47, the CL-9 AT-6, and the RC-9 Buster were all updates of Berkeley kits that Sig bought from Fox Mfg in the 1960's.
That's GREAT info!!! Thanks! I'm going to add a note on the page about that. Geez, I had no idea, other than the CL-9 plans I found online that specifically mentioned the Berkeley/SIG connection.

Yeah, thanks!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I saw somewhere a package that you buy an ARF and everything needed to assemble it, think it was Sigplanes, but not sure. With that in mind, I came up with an idea to put together a builders starter kit. It would consist of the kit, preferably a trainer, like the LT-40, or 25, or one of Seniors, a set of knives, like something I have had for years, has 3 different handles, a razor saw and a miter box, some sanding blocks, like the T handle aluminum or GP ones, a few sheets of sandpaper, enough to build the kit with, all the adhesives, and a cutting board. I would even think a book on building basics would be good.

An advanced kit would include the servos and motor/esc, possibly even the radio.

What do you guys think? I see something like this as a way to help promote building. See anything I missed?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All inclusive kits wouldn't appeal to everyone. Many altready have some basic tools. I did, when I got into the hobby.

I prefer to choose my own equipment, too. I wouldn't necessarily want some one else's choice of engines, motors and servos.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM
skylark-flier

Well guys, after 5 years of searching the web, and now in its second "home", I've finally gotten the SIG history pages down to just 2 missing planes:

SIGRC10 Simco (Balsa wing)
SIGRC11 Simco (Foam/balsa wing)

I've even got one of the Simco versions, RC12 (the foam/ply wing version), AND both versions of the RC14 Doubler. It's amazing what just a couple days can turn up sometimes, but that's kinda been the story all along with this little project - nothing for weeks and then several planes in just a day or so. Lovin' it!

Anyway, there's still just a bit of cleaning up to do but for the most part EVERY PLANE SIG HAS EVER KITTED is there.

http://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/

Hmm, should I start Sterling maybe?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Beige

Oh oh... Can I play?

Just about finished my first Sig kit, A Hog Bipe...

A pretty good kit, leaves some room for doing your own thing, which I like. I did get a bit bored of the manual part way through and just built it more or less from the plans. There wasn't anything too disastrous, the worst probably being the curve in all the ply parts sheets, both the fuselage sides were warped the same direction which took quite a bit of jigging to get built straight, that was the worst of it though.

Well, there is of course the American fixings, I replaced most of them with metric hardware mainly for ease of replacement for lost parts. I think only the aileron linkages remain.

The snakes were replaced with Sullivan Gold 'n' Rod yellow and blue, with 2mm steel rod most of the length, the ends threaded M2 for clevises, the servo end soldered and the surface ends left adjustable with locking nuts.

The throttle uses Gold 'n' Cable with the grub screw connectors at each end, works a treat and avoids all those crank arms and linkages.

It's covered in HobbyKings finest covering, really nice stuff for the money, the only issue I have with it is the coloured sheets with the white glue, when the covering shrinks it leave an edge of white. I'm yet to find anything that'll shift it, cellulose thinners works with other brands, but doesn't touch this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	2124297   Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	2124298   Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	2124299   Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	2124300   Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	2124301   Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	2124302  
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Originally Posted by Beige

Well, there is of course the American fixings, I replaced most of them with metric hardware mainly for ease of replacement for lost parts.

Yes, that's a sneaky plan by our government to make sure we do export to much good stuff.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
smkrcflyer

Has anyone built a SIG 1/5 scale anniversary cub with electric power? If so how do you get the battery in and out of the plane?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by TomCrump
All inclusive kits wouldn't appeal to everyone. Many altready have some basic tools. I did, when I got into the hobby.

I prefer to choose my own equipment, too. I wouldn't necessarily want some one else's choice of engines, motors and servos.

Not to everyone, but those just getting into building it would. Also take something like the SIG T-Clips EP. I have seen them do some crazy things on electric, so providing a recommended power setup that is proven would also be a good thing.

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Has anyone built a SIG 1/5 scale anniversary cub with electric power? If so how do you get the battery in and out of the plane?
Simple enough, just extend the tank floor, and make a battery tray to hold the battery that you can slide in and out and secure with a screw. Check out page 12 to get an idea. http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...thinxtraeg.pdf

You can remove and insert it through the cabin door which opens in the SIG cub.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 AM
smkrcflyer

Thanks for the battery tray idea. The issue with my plane is its already built and access to the tank area is limited. I do have a few ideas I'm working on.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:02 AM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by Beige
Oh oh... Can I play?

Just about finished my first Sig kit, A Hog Bipe...

A pretty good kit, leaves some room for doing your own thing, which I like. I did get a bit bored of the manual part way through and just built it more or less from the plans. There wasn't anything too disastrous, the worst probably being the curve in all the ply parts sheets, both the fuselage sides were warped the same direction which took quite a bit of jigging to get built straight, that was the worst of it though.

Well, there is of course the American fixings, I replaced most of them with metric hardware mainly for ease of replacement for lost parts. I think only the aileron linkages remain.

The snakes were replaced with Sullivan Gold 'n' Rod yellow and blue, with 2mm steel rod most of the length, the ends threaded M2 for clevises, the servo end soldered and the surface ends left adjustable with locking nuts.

The throttle uses Gold 'n' Cable with the grub screw connectors at each end, works a treat and avoids all those crank arms and linkages.

It's covered in HobbyKings finest covering, really nice stuff for the money, the only issue I have with it is the coloured sheets with the white glue, when the covering shrinks it leave an edge of white. I'm yet to find anything that'll shift it, cellulose thinners works with other brands, but doesn't touch this stuff.

Hey Beige!!! Yeah, come on out and play with us - for sure!! Gotta say, that's a VERY nice Hog Bipe you've got there - excellent job. Looking forward to the maiden report.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

i did not see SINBAD THE SAILOR ON YOUR LIST. I HAVE THE KIT ON MY SHELF. BUILT EVERY VERSION OF SINBAD GLIDERS MY FAVORITE. TRAINERMASTER 80
THANKS FOR THE LIST IT TOOK ME BACK. I AM 86
Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Beige

The Hog flies!

I did some taxi tests yesterday, mainly to vibrate anything loose while it's still on the ground, and to give the engine a tune.

Today was flat calm this afternoon, I probably should have been doing other things, but how often does a calm day come up right when you want it too...

The engine, an OS 91S II had only been bench run by the previous owner, so I made sure it was still quite rich for the first flights. It'll happily idle for 30 seconds or so before starting to misfire, plenty good enough. Once it's had an hour or so of air time it'll get tuned up properly.

It's balanced about half way between the middle and rear balance points on the plan, no ideal as I was aiming for the mid point, but figured it was close enough, it didn't require any extra weight and at just a touch over 8lbs it's far from a heavy hog.

Here's a video hosted with google photos, don't think it'll embed so you'll have to give it a click.
>> https://goo.gl/photos/oXj2f5NNjqhGWJwq7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HogBipe_7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2124583  
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 PM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
i did not see SINBAD THE SAILOR ON YOUR LIST. I HAVE THE KIT ON MY SHELF. BUILT EVERY VERSION OF SINBAD GLIDERS MY FAVORITE. TRAINERMASTER 80
THANKS FOR THE LIST IT TOOK ME BACK. I AM 86
Hey Trainermaster80!! Sinbads - SIGFF-2 Super Sinbad & SIGFF-3 Sinbad-40 are the only ones I've got anything on. If you've got a different one I can't even BEGIN to describe how much I'd love to have a pic to add to the list.

REALLY! Would love one!!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 PM
skylark-flier

BEIGE!!! Outstanding!!!!! Glad it's all working out, well done!
Old 10-10-2015, 03:34 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii

Simple enough, just extend the tank floor, and make a battery tray to hold the battery that you can slide in and out and secure with a screw. Check out page 12 to get an idea. http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...thinxtraeg.pdf

You can remove and insert it through the cabin door which opens in the SIG cub.
Thanks for the link on that manual. I scratch build my planes. So I like to read thru these manuals to get ideas on how to do things. The battery tray looks good. I add hatches to my planes for easy access later. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:32 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rascal 110 - Saito High Compression FA-180 CDI

I'm just about finished with my rascal 110. All that's left is to install the wing struts. I had to do some repair to them. The ends where the bolts attach where hollow & allowed the bolts to pull through. I filled them last night with epoxy/Fiberglas.

I deviated from the instructions & mounted the elevator servo forward .Even then, it came out slightly tail heavy with the 750 mAh "AAA" NiMh 4.8v ignition battery pack located just behind the firewall on the starboard cheek.

This is how the balance come out after i increased the size of the ignition battery pack to "AA" 2000 mAh.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 10-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:55 AM
BrightGarden

That is one nice looking airplane. I have the regular ARF Rascal version and I love flying it - got it at a great bargain. I am not sure where I could store a 110 version. Your finish is great, love the looks.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 PM
acdii

Well finished the repairs on my SSE, got the new Saito 72 mounted up front along with a new FASST RX for the Futaba. from 3 feet away you would not know that the tail was completely busted off, only when you get close enough to see the seams in the covering. If it weren't so damned windy today I would take it out and fly it!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
That is one nice looking airplane. I have the regular ARF Rascal version and I love flying it - got it at a great bargain. I am not sure where I could store a 110 version. Your finish is great, love the looks.
With the 2-piece wing it isn't all that bulky to store.

In fact, by removing the rear seat cushion & folding the seat backs down, I can haul it in the back of my 2006 Dodge Charger if I remove the main gear 1st.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 AM
SrTelemaster150

Well the Rascal 110 had a successful maiden flight yesterday, so now I am an official member with an airworthy SIG aircraft.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 PM
acdii

Woot! That gave me thought, all the planes I fly are SIG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.