Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~SIG Brotherhood ~~

Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm only old when the back and joints tell me, Hey, Don't do that Stupid! Been working in my shop today after working til 5 AM this morning on system upgrades for work. Got 4 hours sleep I think, if that. My B-25 is coming along. I found some decent walk around photos of a 25 that has the same scoop above the cowl as Tootsie, so worked on that and the flap today.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:57 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You got more done than I did. After working a night shift early last week, I'm still trying to get my internal clock reset. Doesn't help that I'm working first shift today, second shift tomorrow, first AND second on Wednesday and first again on Thursday. Bad part is that between second and the next first shift I have, at best, maybe six hours to get home, sleep and get back to work. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't 48 miles to one location and 15 to the other. That takes me down to less than 4.5 hours so, to compensate for the travel time, I'll be sleeping in the back of my Tahoe Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son use to work 8 hr shifts for two different security companies, between shifts he got 4 hours for travel and sleep so he would sack out in his Escape. It smelled like it too. SO he enlisted in the Army and when everyone else asked why he wasn't complaining about the lack of sleep he would say "This is a lot better than what I got as a civilian! I never slept so much in my life!" They thought he was nuts!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He was crazy, HE JOINED THE ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He didn't have much choice, the Air Force says they weren't hiring, the Navy said loose 15 lbs. and come back, he wasn't crazy enough to join the Marines, that left the Coast Guard (are they still consider military?) who wouldn't talk to him, and the Army which said you need to lose 15 pounds but we can help you do that before you report in.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hell, I gained 25 pounds while in the Navy's bootcamp in San Diego. Had another guy in my unit lose almost 50 so I don't know why they wouldn't accept our son. I wonder if they have made it easier to pass for the soft wanna-be-sailors that are going in now days?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Corsair013

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just another update on my Smith Miniplane.
Got the pitts style muffler installed, firewall fuel proofed, cowl primed and cut, and completed the fuselage.
I have also made the horizontal and vertical stabilizers and control surfaces.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking good!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Liberty Sport on the way, been wanting one for a while now. Read a build thread on RCG that was quite informative. It will be an interesting build if anything like the Citabria was. Only the ribs were die cut, everything else was a block of balsa.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Miniplane's definitely looking kinda like an airplane - lookin' GOOD!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Some issues with the new SIG website

Hey y'all, just wanted to pass on a bit of info to the group and before anything I apologize for the length of this.

Fairly regularly, I compare the SIG site with my SIG History site, updating and occasionally correcting my own errors (yeah, I goof up sometimes). During this past review I actually had to stop and resort to paper & pencil - within minutes I abandoned even that method and started a WP doc to try to straighten things out. That doc ended up being the core of an e-mail I sent to SIG about their new website and what I think is a rather major issue with it. For this note, I've changed the normal website http entry to SIG-URL-HEADER so it doesn't convert to abbreviated links in this message. With that editing, here's how it read:

---------

I'm writing to you about significant issues in the new SIGMFG website that make it extremely confusing and untrustworthy to navigate. I've been a fan of SIG planes since I was a teenager - many MANY decades ago, and I'm rather concerned with the apparent lack of traditional attention to detail that SIG has demonstrated for all those decades.

I apologize for the length of this, but the details listed here are based on just ONE single page of the website - the SEAGULL ARF listing. I haven't been through the entire new website yet but I think that if this single page is indicative of the whole website, then there's a significant problem throughout.

Here's the issue: when you place your cursor over any item on the SEAGULL page it seems to MISDIRECT you to an incorrect page. You're really not sure whether the information is correct or not. Below are the various models and the website URL that puts you there. The very first one, Steen Skybolt, is correct - all others are significantly flawed.

The 2nd plane, ULTIMATE BIPLANE, SEA50. I click on the link - am I looking at info/price for the Ultimate Biplane or am I looking at info/price for the SPACEWALKER-II? The picture is of the Biplane, but how can I be sure of anything else?

This confusion carries on for 29 of the 30 aircraft listed on the page - that's something like a 96.6% INACCURACY rate on just one page of the website.

In addition, SEA158 & SEA180 have float kits (SEA158F & SEA180F) listed as available and "sold separately" but there are no links and NOWHERE on the website is there a price, listing or method of buying them. How does one go about buying the float kits?

I hope you see my concern here and can have the webmaster make some corrections. Below are the specific issues I detected on the SEAGULL page:

SEAGULL MODELS STEEN SKYBOLT SEAGULL SEA237B
URL acceptable as is

SEAGULL MODEL ULTIMATE BIPLANE SEAGULL SEA50
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea19-seagull-models-spacewalker-ii-63-inch-wingspan-1

SEAGULL MODELS P-47G THUNDERBOLT SEAGULL SEA207
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea199n-seagull-models-extra-ea-300l-new-version-54-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS GIPSY MOTH SEAGULL SEA169
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea158-seagull-models-glasair-gs-2-sportsman-70-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS PT-19 SEAGULL SEA136
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea123-seagull-models-a6m-zero-with-retracts-66-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS AT6 TEXAN WITH RETRACTS SEAGULL SEA88
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea86-seagull-models-decathlon-91-70-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS GEE BEE 120 SEAGULL SEA82
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea54-seagull-models-edge-540-68-2-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS BOWERS FLYBABY SEAGULL SEA238
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-seax13-seagull-models-ep-spacewalker-ii-1-6m-62-2-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS EP SPACEWALKER II SEAGULL SEAX13
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-seax7a-seagull-models-decathlon-ep-yellow-51-inch-wing-spa

SEAGULL MODELS VANS RV-8 DIAMOND DI SEAGULL SEA249D
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea240y-seagull-models-t-34-mentor-us-navy-yellow-74-8-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS T-34 MENTOR US NAVY YELLOW SEAGULL SEA240Y
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea237b-seagull-models-steen-skybolt-black-gold-red-61-inch-wingspan-1

SEAGULL MODELS MAULE SUPER ROCKET SEAGULL SEA232
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea230b-seagull-models-skyraider-bee-63-inch-wingspan

SEAGULL MODELS SKYRAIDER BEE SEAGULL SEA230B
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea229-seagull-models-radial-rocket-62-3-inch-wingspan

SEAGULL MODELS RADIAL ROCKET SEAGULL SEA229
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea212us-seagull-models-bucker-ju-133-jungmeister-us-version-65-inch-wingspan-1

SEAGULL MODELS BUCKER JU-133 JUNGMEISTER US VERSION SEAGULL SEA212US
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea207-seagull-models-p-47g-thunder-bolt-63-inch-wingspan

SEAGULL MODELS EXTRA EA 300L SEAGULL SEA199N
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea193-seagull-models-taylorcraft-ep-25e-62-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS TAYLORCRAFT EP25E SEAGULL SEA193
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea183-seagull-models-spitfire-mk-ix-w-retracts-79-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS SPITFIRE MK-IX W/RETRACTS SEAGULL SEA183
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea180-seagull-models-christen-husky-79-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS AVIAT HUSKY SEAGULL SEA180
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea174-seagull-models-cessna-152-79-9-inch-wing-span

SEA180F - FLOAT KIT FOR AVIAT HUSKY - - Listed on Husky page as "sold separately" but there is NO LINK and they're not to be found anywhere in the website. How does one go about buying this item?

SEAGULL MODELS CESSNA 152 SEAGULL SEA174
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea169-seagull-models-gipsy-moth-72-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS GLASAIR GS-2 SPORTSMAN SEAGULL SEA158
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea146-seagull-models-cessna-337-sky-master-76-8-inch-wing-span

SEA158F - FLOAT KIT FOR GS2 SPORTSMAN - - Listed on Sportsman page as "sold separately" but there is NO LINK and they're not to be found anywhere in the website. How does one go about buying this item?

SEAGULL MODELS CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER SEAGULL SEA146
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea136-seagull-models-pt-19-giant-scale-80-5-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS A6M ZERO SEAGULL SEA123
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea104-seagull-models-christen-eagle-53-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS CHRISTEN EAGLE SEAGULL SEA104
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea88-seagull-models-at6-texan-with-retracts-70-9-inch-wing

SEAGULL MODELS DECATHLON 91 SEAGULL SEA86
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea82-seagull-models-geebee-120-70-9-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS EDGE 540 SEAGULL SEA54
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea53b-seagull-models-yak-54-63-4-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS YAK 54 SEAGULL SEA53B
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea50-seagull-model-ultimate-biplane-54-3-inch-wing-span

SEAGULL MODELS SPACEWALKER II SEAGULL SEA19
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/sea19-seagull-models-spacewalker-ii-63-inch-wingspan

SEAGULL MODELS EDGE 540 V2 SEAGULL SEA26A
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea19-seagull-models-spacewalker-ii-63-inch-wingspan

SEAGULL MODELS DECATHLON CITABRIA SEAGULL SEA30
SIG-URL-HEADER/collections/seagull-arfs/products/copy-of-sea26a-seagull-models-edge-540-v2-77-5-inch-wing-span

----------------------------------------------------

There are other, less major items I'm concerned about also but they can wait for another time. Thanks for you attention in this particular issue.

Dave Wittich
e-mail ....

Last edited by skylark-flier; 04-20-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: changed url to drop links in this message
Old 04-21-2018, 02:28 AM
Captcrunch44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boy i have really liked the new up grade of the sig web site. I use it quite often, on my phone and deskto. I have yet to see the issue that you are experiencing. I do know on my phone when you click on the plane you would like to View and comes up with all the information that you want to see however on the desktop when you click on the airplane it comes up on a quick review and then you have to click more info tab to see the rest of the information.
I find the new site to be a lot easier to navigate then old site. I hope the issues that your experience get resolved so you can injoy the new sit as muc as i do.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM
BalsaGhost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I've been able to fly my Kougar for about a dozen flights. It really does track like its on rails, so stable and smooth. I relocated the receiver battery pack to just aft of the F3 former, as even though it flies great it was obviously nose heavy. Hopefully next week I can dial it in with the new CG. I know its a classic for a reason, but its quickly becoming one of my favorites. It sure helps that the nose high landings look cool too.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 AM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Captaincrunch - next time you're on your desktop just run your cursor over a plane and if your computer is like mine it shows links at the bottom left side of the screen - look at that link indicator and see if they match. When you actually click on one of the kits, check the URL at the top of the screen to see if it matches the plane you're actually looking at. Just this morning I went through the KITS and found 5 wrong, 9 in the ARFS - stopped at that point for now.

Yeah, I'm probably the 1/10 of 1% of people that would notice something like this (probably my military intelligence background coming out here) but it makes it kinda inconvenient when I'm updating the History site. That's actually what brought this to my attention, little to nothing was matching when I started on the Seagull page - that's probably the worse page in the site, at least I hope it is.

One other thing that's missing from the old SIG site is all the discontinued instruction manuals, listing for parts for discontinued kits, and probably a few things I'm not thinking of right now. Good thing I've already got what I've got, I guess.

Can't say I don't enjoy the new website - I love the appearance of it, MUCH modernized.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Liberty Sport arrived yesterday and it is complete! What surprised me was how thin and light the cowl is compared to the cowls in the other kits like the Citabria that is heavy plastic. Now I see why the instructions have you glass it. The other surprise, I could build right from the plans, all the ribs and formers are on it. I might just do that too and keep the kit intact. It will be good practice for the B-17 and B-29 builds which are all plan builds. One of the MADA decals is slightly damaged, it is usable, but I will need put it in a bag and pull the air out to keep it from peeling any more. I may photo copy them and send it out for decals.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, just laid the OS Gemini II 120 on the plans. Perfect fit! Since it calls for a .60 2 stroke, the 120 4 Stroke twin should be just right.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Over the weekend I did something I haven't done in over a year. I took my old LT-40 (kit built of course) down from the plane rack and fired up the ST .40 on it. My grandson wanted to hear it run but we didn't have the time to go fly it before his family had to head back to Kansas. I naturally managed to flood the engine and the old ST launched the prop and spinner off the front twice but I finally got everything normalized and she fired right up. It cough the ugliest brown mess out at first but she then purred like a kitten. Full throttle required my sone to hold it tightly to keep it from launching itself with the wings attached and the engine it throttle nicely. They will be back after memorial Day for my youngest son's wedding so we are going to go flying then. I spent a little time batching Monokote and charging batteries to make sure they are good. The LT-40 will be ready when he comes back! I guess now I'll need to stop procrastinating and get the Saito .80 running on the SIG 1/5th Cub.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 AM
cardinalflyer
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Git er done. What a great experience to share with a grandson. Best of luck with the flying.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 AM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Data Preservation

Hokay! Before anything else (such as, what this is REALLY all about), here's a bit of background on me. I'm retired military (USAF), oldest son of retired military (USMC) - and I've got an extensive background/training in intelligence. As such, I gather data as naturally as breathing in the course of an average day.

All y'all know about the SIG history website, I'm hoping. What you may not be all that aware of is the amount of data I've compiled in the process - maybe something over half of it actually shows in the website, the rest is here on my 'puter. A recent FUBAR here brought just exactly that little fact to the forefront for me - my 'puter locked up for a couple days, including my external HDD unit. Took me 3 more days to recover everything.

This little glitch made me realize that, for much of the SIG data, my computer is the ONLY root-source now, especially anything discontinued by SIG. This includes many/most of the jpegs, gifs, pngs, bmps, pdfs and docs that I've gathered - and I need to do something about it because I really wouldn't want to see it just disappear into the ether one day.

So, if anyone in the U.S. is interested in receiving a zip drive (no charge in any way - this is MY thing) containing EVERYTHING I've got for the SIG (and related companies) history website and the SIG & SIG Kadet brotherhoods, please PM me. As far as I'm concerned, the more, the merrier.

Also included on the zip will be a full introduction to everything; how it's arranged, how to find what, whatever I can think of to make it easier for others to see what's there.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A fantastic idea! Zip drives the modern equivalent of the ancient scrolls of the Greeks, Romans, the Dead Sea, and Egypt!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Skylark, I know many of us would hate to see your Sig data disappear. There are some websites forever lost which I truly miss.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 AM
knuckleball

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by skylark-flier View Post
Hokay! Before anything else (such as, what this is REALLY all about), here's a bit of background on me. I'm retired military (USAF), oldest son of retired military (USMC) - and I've got an extensive background/training in intelligence. As such, I gather data as naturally as breathing in the course of an average day.

All y'all know about the SIG history website, I'm hoping. What you may not be all that aware of is the amount of data I've compiled in the process - maybe something over half of it actually shows in the website, the rest is here on my 'puter. A recent FUBAR here brought just exactly that little fact to the forefront for me - my 'puter locked up for a couple days, including my external HDD unit. Took me 3 more days to recover everything.

This little glitch made me realize that, for much of the SIG data, my computer is the ONLY root-source now, especially anything discontinued by SIG. This includes many/most of the jpegs, gifs, pngs, bmps, pdfs and docs that I've gathered - and I need to do something about it because I really wouldn't want to see it just disappear into the ether one day.

So, if anyone in the U.S. is interested in receiving a zip drive (no charge in any way - this is MY thing) containing EVERYTHING I've got for the SIG (and related companies) history website and the SIG & SIG Kadet brotherhoods, please PM me. As far as I'm concerned, the more, the merrier.

Also included on the zip will be a full introduction to everything; how it's arranged, how to find what, whatever I can think of to make it easier for others to see what's there.
How many GB is it? I can send you a flashdrive or SSD for you to copy to...
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 AM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh ... good.

Now I'm being compared to ancient Egypt.

Y'know y'er REALLY gettin' old when y'er compared to ancient Egypt.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Better than being compared to the Dead Sea scrolls.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by skylark-flier View Post
Oh ... good.

Now I'm being compared to ancient Egypt.

Y'know y'er REALLY gettin' old when y'er compared to ancient Egypt.
I could have compared you to ancient Mesopotamia they are a much older civilization than the Egyptians.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service