Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Spacewalker 1/3 scale (by rookie)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Spacewalker 1/3 scale (by rookie)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine in this post (me) on the floor, laughing until it hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The writen word is a funny thing. The author can intend one meaning and the reader pick up another.
The RoVinRoy is to pick up after each sesion. Not upon build completion. LOL
I wouldnt insult you guys like that. I will try to emulate you guys.
Compliment intended.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 AM
acerc

That's---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Said------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!!!!!!!!!!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 AM
acerc

Me think's me is bored............................................. ...................
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard to think Robert could be bored with what he has to do, and or is doing. "Nuts maybe, not bored", ha ha.

Leroy
Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 AM
acerc

I was at home, not where the Pitts is, and had finished all the house and yard work. But I am back at the property and hitting it hard. LOL!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Melchizedek

Robert.
The are so many of us thrilled with the great job you are doing on that Pitts.
Edge of our seats we are

Kevin
Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Robert.
Edge of our seats we are

Kevin
I wish I was, but unfortunately for now I have to fill my shoes....LOL!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I like the looks of that wing Kevin, it appears to have come out perfectly! I too feel the same way when I place the wing on the fuse for the first time...I'll just stare at it for quite some time and admire the beauty in the lines thinking, do I have to cover all of this up? (BTW, now's a good time to balance that wing laterally)

Robert's Pitts is first class, along with the job that Leroy has done on his SW. Looks like your name will be added to that list very soon as well...

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-11-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Melchizedek

Vincent, such a nice compliment, Thank You !

I'm with you on the elegance of structure. It can be captivating.
Your comments just made me realize that an air frame really is a piece of architecture.
Architecture of the highest order. Form, function and beauty. A building can have these features but a building can't fly. That makes an airframe a higher order

Just some musings

Kevn
Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Vincent, such a nice compliment, Thank You !

I'm with you on the elegance of structure. It can be captivating.
Your comments just made me realize that an air frame really is a piece of architecture.
Architecture of the highest order. Form, function and beauty. A building can have these features but a building can't fly. That makes an airframe a higher order

Just some musings

Kevn
Amen brother. Keep up the great work. And thanks for the compliments on my build.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Your plane is coming along nicely. Only thing I see you missed is one detail on the instrument panel. Pretty much all aircraft have used, for many years, what is known as the "T" in the dash layout. This puts a gyro-compass, artificial horizon, airspeed and altimeters in a "T" alignment. The top of the "T" is(L to R) airspeed, artificial horizon and altimeter with the gyro compass located under the artificial horizon. In a Cessna 172, the compass is flanked by a turn/bank indicator on the left and a vertical speed indicator on the right. The theory behind this is that it keeps all the instrumentation in a logical arrangement so all the flight info you need is easy to find regardless of what plane you're sitting in.
Having said all of this,YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL LOOKS GREAT SO DON'T THINK I'M TELLING YOU TO CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-12-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I know I'm late to the party subscribed.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Melchizedek

Hydro,
God, I feel like I'm watching X-Men when I say that. Almost like I expect Magneto or Wolverine to post next. LOL
Please take no offense. My mind does a lot of correlation when it is in humor mode.

Thank You for the great info on the IP standard. I will refer to it next IP I do. When I was researching the panel for the SW I couldn't find a whole lot. I think cause the SW falls between a home built and a production plane. So not having any air nautical background what so ever, I used my home grown logic mixed with ascetics. The one example I did have just might of had the "T" pattern, but didn't know to look for it at the time. Next time I will know. Oh, Welcome Hydro.

Flyer,
There is plenty of party left. Glad to have you

Kevin
Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 AM
Melchizedek

It's cool when you come across things before you need them. As apposed to the other way.

Was reading another build on RCSB and the discussion was about toe-in vs toe-out. Since eventually I will be setting up the gear on the SW. This will come in handy.
Now I would of just did my utmost to set up the SW parallel. Now will approach a little differently.

Many who travel here probably know this (I didn't). But for the rest, I hope this is helpful.

http://rcmf.co.uk/articles/toe-debate.html

Kevin
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Melchizedek

Did a little on the SW this weekend.

Did some fill and sand to the wing (still more to do).
Also worked on the upper fuse behind the cockpit.
I intend to skin the fuse with balsa instead of cloth. On the plans, the stringers sit on top of the formers. I decided to make new formers that go to the top of the stringers. Stronger and will give the skin something to form around and not just the stringers.

I used the original formers to make the new formers. I set up a fence on the router to ride the old former while the bit cut the new one. The fence is flat, so care was taken to make sure the apex of the curve was always at the point of fence where cutter was. I tac glued the old former to the new blank, then shaped it.

I then set the new formers on the plan to mark for the stringers.

I then made the notches for the stringers and glued the formers in there place. When I went to fit the stringers, they snaked a little (not a straight line). So what I did was put a straight edge from the front to back and adjusted the middle notches. Cutting one shoulder and gluing shims on the opposite shoulder.
This was a pain. Once the notches were all straight the stringers were glued in.

You will notice that the stringers in the front fuse half (done months ago) don't quite line up with the rear fuse .

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 001.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	1,021.6 KB
ID:	2023049   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 002.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	953.1 KB
ID:	2023051   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 003.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	926.9 KB
ID:	2023053   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 004.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	917.5 KB
ID:	2023054   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 005.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	938.0 KB
ID:	2023055   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 006.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2023063   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Rear upper fuse 99 007.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	900.9 KB
ID:	2023066  

Last edited by Melchizedek; 08-17-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:32 PM
acerc

Ahhhhh, the joys of making one your own.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
I'm with Robert, there is nothing else like it!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Leroy Gardner

"Ah" it's good to see the humor in this group of what nots R/C builders, we all have our quirks (personalities) and thank God we are not all alike, imagine what the planes would look like. To take a kit or set of plans and alter it to suit the builder shows the charater and creative abilities of the builder. However there is this Robert guy who takes it to another level by leaving no stone unturned in his building, I think they are called Master Scale builders that create planes that you can't tell from the real one it was modeled after, in some cases they even look better than the real one, in this case it's a very broken up one.

Robert to say the very least, you are a stand apart builder at a level the great many of us will never achieve (personal opinion) no offence intended to anyone, many of you have some wonderful building skills but the truth is Robert sits on a higher limb than the bulk of us , self included.

Robert, wonderfull build and up coming finish as well as inspiration at a high level to all of us watching, thanks for all of that, smile and smile some more, you should.

Leroy
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Leroy Gardner

Sorry Kevin, that last post got put on the wrong thread, duh, getting old. At any rate your creaping up on Robert and the rest of us with a very nice build of your own, hope you got my PM's Hope Robert reads the upper one, it's meant for him.

Life has been a whirlwind most of this very hot summer but I felt a hint of fall this morning and the cooler air feels very good, may even get to fly in the after noons. We have had over 40 days of over 90 and higher degrees along with some serious storms with winds in the 70 MPH class raising havoc here and all around us, looks like we are in for more come wednesday through the end of week.Still the up coming 70-80's is going to be nice for a change.

Leroy
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
"Ah" it's good to see the humor in this group of what nots R/C builders, we all have our quirks (personalities) and thank God we are not all alike, imagine what the planes would look like. To take a kit or set of plans and alter it to suit the builder shows the charater and creative abilities of the builder. However there is this Robert guy who takes it to another level by leaving no stone unturned in his building, I think they are called Master Scale builders that create planes that you can't tell from the real one it was modeled after, in some cases they even look better than the real one, in this case it's a very broken up one.

Robert to say the very least, you are a stand apart builder at a level the great many of us will never achieve (personal opinion) no offence intended to anyone, many of you have some wonderful building skills but the truth is Robert sits on a higher limb than the bulk of us , self included.

Robert, wonderfull build and up coming finish as well as inspiration at a high level to all of us watching, thanks for all of that, smile and smile some more, you should.

Leroy
Words can not describe just how much this has moved me, so I will humbly say "Thank you Leroy" and wipe the tear from my eye.
Sincerely,
Robert

Last edited by acerc; 08-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Melchizedek

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm with Robert, there is nothing else like it!
Yes, indeed. But there is also a little of Joy/pain, Love/hate, Triumph/trial. Notice witch words are capped, they are the primary emotion.
I wouldn't have it any other way though. There really is no other way to fully appreciate the capped without its counter the uncapped.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM
acerc

Ohhhh my modeling brother, I feel your Joy/pain, Love/hate, Triumph/trial. But there is no other way to get the beautiful work such as you are.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Melchizedek

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Sorry Kevin, that last post got put on the wrong thread, duh, getting old. At any rate your creaping up on Robert and the rest of us with a very nice build of your own, hope you got my PM's Hope Robert reads the upper one, it's meant for him.

Life has been a whirlwind most of this very hot summer but I felt a hint of fall this morning and the cooler air feels very good, may even get to fly in the after noons. We have had over 40 days of over 90 and higher degrees along with some serious storms with winds in the 70 MPH class raising havoc here and all around us, looks like we are in for more come wednesday through the end of week.Still the up coming 70-80's is going to be nice for a change.

Leroy
Thanks, Leroy.
Yes got your pms. Most helpful. Hope your life starts to simplify. Summer here in Mo has been a delight. Most of it has been in the 80's with cool mornings. It has been wonderful. If only every summer could be like this one . My condolences on your weather. That's what we usually get.

Kevin.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Melchizedek

Words can not describe just how much this has moved me, so I will humbly say "Thank you Leroy" and wipe the tear from my eye.
Sincerely,
Robert
First, I would like to second what Leroy said. He couldn't of said it better.

Second, It made me tear up to Robert. Those kind of tears are priceless. One can live for days on them.

Kevin

Last edited by Melchizedek; 08-18-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.