Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP aeromaster for 250$, worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP aeromaster for 250$, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Droiddr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP aeromaster for 250$, worth it?

Hi,

a friend is offering to sell me a great planes giant aeromaster kit for 250$. Is it fully worth it?

i am not familiar with the plane and don't know how good it is. I hear it is a good aerobat.

Later!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the quality of the build. If well built and maintained, yes it is probably worth that especially if it contains good servos and the covering is in good shape. It will do all the basic aerobatic maneuvers, just do not expect any 3D type performance. It does very realistic full scale aerobatics if properly powered.

Last edited by Rodney; 02-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Droiddr
Hi,

a friend is offering to sell me a great planes giant aeromaster kit for 250$. Is it fully worth it?

i am not familiar with the plane and don't know how good it is. I hear it is a good aerobat.

Later!
I'll agree with Rodney, provided we're talking about a completed, built Aeromaster.

If your friend is selling the unbuilt kit, complete and new-in-box, I'll suggest a couple things. One, he can probably get his price or more at auction. Kit builders are buying and storing such finds. Two, an Ultimate will do everything the Aeromaster can and more, if you're looking for an aerobat.

If you have a real desire to build an Aeromaster kit, and do scale type flying and aerobatics, you have found a reasonable deal. If you want a lightweight, 3-D flyer, you probably want to look at something else.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Droiddr

It is just the kit in iys original box.
I am on my way to check it actually!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends on what you're getting. If it's still new un-assembled then you have a definite bargain there. If it's been put together and is in good shape it's still a good bargain. This plane is a great plane and I wish that Great Planes had not discontinued it. I've never owned one, but a friend of mine did. I had flown his and had intended to buy one but GP discontinued the plane before I got around to buying one so I'm still kicking myself for not getting one. So if you have a chance to get one for $250 I would say you're probably getting a good deal. Heck, you don't want to get it let me know where it is and I'll buy it!!!!

Ken
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GP Aeromaster. It is a nice flyer. It was a builder's kit - lots of sanding and shaping of balsa. I'd say it is comparable to the Sig Hog Bipe in flight characteristics, but maybe more aerobatic. Also, nicer looking in my opinion. My favorite small bipe is still the GP Ultimate Bipe 40.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Droiddr

I went to see my friend and looked at the kit.
He had never opened the box, everything was neatly packed in the box. He definetly never touched it.
I bought the kit.

He also sold me an Carl Goldberg extra 300 kit, never opened as well.

I figure I will build the extra for this year and build the giant aeromaster next year.
If I end up not building the aeromaster, I will offer it to you first RCKen.

THanks for the advice.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The Goldberg Extra 300 is a great flying airplane too!!! I've built and flown one of those as well!!!

I appreciate the offer on the Aeromaster if you wind up not flying it!!!!! thanks!!!!

Ken
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 AM
Droiddr

RCKen, I see that you are one of the guys in the gettingairborne.com web site. Thanks for that. When I got back into the hobby about 1 year ago, your site helped guide me into what model(s) I wanted and got me back on track after 12 years off the hobby. This is where I first saw the 4 star and discovered what a great airplane it is. I started back up with an Eflite Apprentice, but before I flew it I bought an avistar Elite (RTF) and was building a 4-star. Your site was really helpful in presenting options and how to look at things today in RC.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

RCKen, I see that you are one of the guys in the gettingairborne.com web site. Thanks for that. When I got back into the hobby about 1 year ago, your site helped guide me into what model(s) I wanted and got me back on track after 12 years off the hobby. This is where I first saw the 4 star and discovered what a great airplane it is. I started back up with an Eflite Apprentice, but before I flew it I bought an avistar Elite (RTF) and was building a 4-star. Your site was really helpful in presenting options and how to look at things today in RC.
Well I am glad that we were able to help you. My friend Minnflyer (May he Rest in Peace) and I had gotten to a point there we were answering the same questions a lot here on RCU so we decided to setup Getttingairborne.com so that we had a place where people could go to get those questions answered. We did the site to try and help out people get started. I am so glad to hear that it was a help to you. That's what it is there for!!

Ken
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Droiddr, you're going to LOVE that Extra 300 as well!
(assuming you like aerobatics) I've had at least 4 of those and they are a joy to fly and fun to build too.
(I'm the late MinnFlyer's brother ) I've still got one in the rafters that got shelved because time didn't permit me building,
but it's on the slate to get finished for the upcoming season.. I can't wait!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Droiddr

Thanks AMA,

I already read part of the CG extra thread and asked questions about it to people here. Many say this is the best designed aerobat in that size range, mirroring your comments.
I was so impressed by what people said, that I will keep the original balsa and wood parts and use them as templates. This way I can build more than one.
Need to figure out what is the best way to template I was already told tracing the original parts with a good old pen or pencil onto the destination material and cutting was a good way.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks AMA,

I already read part of the CG extra thread and asked questions about it to people here. Many say this is the best designed aerobat in that size range, mirroring your comments.
I was so impressed by what people said, that I will keep the original balsa and wood parts and use them as templates. This way I can build more than one.
Need to figure out what is the best way to template I was already told tracing the original parts with a good old pen or pencil onto the destination material and cutting was a good way.

Thanks!
yup, that's a very good way of duplicating...
you can also just keep the old 'bones' (the die cut sheet itself once the parts have been removed)
lay that on a piece of cardboard and shoot with some spray paint. then cut em out.

good luck with that one!