Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"Building" an ARF or RTF (?)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"Building" an ARF or RTF (?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still waiting on the answer to my question... can claim that I "built" the engine on my plane since I: bolted the OS Max .65AX to my plane, attached a 11x8 prop & spinner, connected fuel tubing, glow plug, and exhaust, scuff and painted the spinner to match the plane.....and.....balanced the prop?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

I think you already know the answer to that.
No.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
I'm still waiting on the answer to my question... can claim that I "built" the engine on my plane since I: bolted the OS Max .65AX to my plane, attached a 11x8 prop & spinner, connected fuel tubing, glow plug, and exhaust, scuff and painted the spinner to match the plane.....and.....balanced the prop?
I didn't realize you were waiting for an answer, but here it is (in MY opinion others are entitled to their own)

you can 'claim' anything you'd like.
but no, you didn't 'build' that engine.

that does NOT mean you don't have the skills to build one if you wanted to, or that those skills are even required for you to have fun with it.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM
JRgraham

I built a turkey sandwich yesterday.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
I didn't realize you were waiting for an answer, but here it is (in MY opinion others are entitled to their own)

you can 'claim' anything you'd like.
but no, you didn't 'build' that engine.

that does NOT mean you don't have the skills to build one if you wanted to, or that those skills are even required for you to have fun with it.
Your right. Probably why Gore claimed he "invented" the internet or you get the occasional a-hole who will wear a military uniform with full honors even though they never ever served. They may have the skills or capabilities but they never actually put in the work and dedication/devotion required to earn it.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRgraham
Are you sure you did not assemble the sandwich?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Yeah, go to a bakery, order up a cake and then after you pay for it, take it out of the box, put it on a plate wrapped in foil and tell all your friends you "made" it yourself.

That'll impress'em.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Or put together? Or made? Or prepare?

It is funny how some people think a word has a meaning and sometimes ti does not. Happens all the time even with professional linguists. The real solution is to google the darn thing and check what a dictionary says. And then, keep looking to see if any dictionary agrees with your interpretation, and then quote the dictionary:-) (to give credibility to your claim).

Gerry
I assemble/put together/build models. Of all kinds, with all kind of different degrees of prefabrication.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM
GerKonig

I think that is called mounting or installing the engine. But, I could be wrong. That is in my neck of the woods:-)

Gerry
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Craterboy

What a hoot!

I can just picture all the scratchbuilders chuckling at the hubris of the kitbuilders, thinking, "Someone else designed it for you, someone else defined the part structure, someone else wrote instructions for you, someone else selected the materials, someone else laser cut all the pieces for you, someone else chose all the hardware that's included, and then you 'built' the kit."

Really, guys, nobody disputes that it takes much more skill and effort to construct a kit than an ARF, and more yet to build from plans, and still more to work from your own designs. I don't understand all the vitriol around the choice of a word. Our building skills are not threatened if someone says they "built" an ARF.

BTW: Webster definition for "assemble": to construct from individual pieces. Sounds like a kit to me. I don't care, I use either word interchangeably.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how the sandwich came about, I think what really matters is that it was a good sandwich and you enjoyed it.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
JRgraham

Yeah, I kind of agree that we assemble planes, be it kit, arf or otherwise. Scratch building would be just that, building.
Like a house. You build a house from plans. That is, you start from drawn plans, and from a pile of lumber, you cut each piece of wood to length (or to spec) and build.

Thinking about it, I think I generally say "I put that kit together" so it seems to translate to assemble more than build.

But, whats the real argument here anyways..

I think its Obama's fault.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:56 PM
SushiHunter

I think its Obama's fault.
With that comment,...now your starting to sound like some dems during the time Bush was in office. The only difference is....they weren't joking when they said it.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by granpooba
no matter how the sandwich came about, i think what really matters is that it was a good sandwich and you enjoyed it.
yup!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM
JRgraham

With that comment,...now your starting to sound like some dems during the time Bush was in office. The only difference is....they weren't joking when they said it.
Well.. he did say "You didn't build that!" ....

Okay.. I hear ya, Ken! No politics.. I was joking though!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

this thread has lasted longer than I anticipated-I build kits and I assemble arfs-and I have great fun with both!!!! I been building kits and building from plans for over 40 years, I have assembled arfs for the last 20 or so years. To be honest I believe we all like to be recognized when we build a kit-more so than we assemble the ARF due to the vast differences in the amount of time and effort it takes between the two as well as the pride one can have after building a plane from a pile of wood. This is my opinion and I sure would never fault anyone for having fun with ARF, BNF, PNP, or whatever the new terms would be.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
this thread has lasted longer than I anticipated-I build kits and I assemble arfs-and I have great fun with both!!!! I been building kits and building from plans for over 40 years, I have assembled arfs for the last 20 or so years. To be honest I believe we all like to be recognized when we build a kit-more so than we assemble the ARF due to the vast differences in the amount of time and effort it takes between the two as well as the pride one can have after building a plane from a pile of wood. This is my opinion and I sure would never fault anyone for having fun with ARF, BNF, PNP, or whatever the new terms would be.
Yeah, lasted longer than that turkey sandwich someone mentioned making. So in regards to that sandwich. suppose someone gets sick and dies from that turkey sandwich, who would be responsible for that, the person (grocery store customer) who assembled it or the organization (grocery store and/or vendor) who provided the ingredients?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Craterboy

Blame the turkey!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM
JRgraham

Its my fault...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM
SushiHunter

If the ARF had a defect in it's structure and or materials used which caused it to crash and be a total loss, if anyone was liable to replace it who would that be? The actual manufacturer of the ARF or the consumer who paid the manufacturer for the plane and just did the final assembly of less than half dozen prefabricated components?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM
JRgraham

There is no answer to that that can be agreed on. Im sure we have all seen the threads about this very thing.. ARF crash's and the owner posts all about how it was everything but his own fault.

Most ARF companies I am aware of have liability definitions that basically puts the owner at his/her own risk, beyond the most obvious of manufacturing flaw's/defects, and even that will only hold up if the plane is within its assembly state, prior to flight anyways.

Bottom line is, or rule of thumb.. you (the owner) are responsible to assemble the airplane to be airworthy, period. The manufacturer really only claims that the airplane is capable of flight.

Of course, this is just a point of view, and may not necessarily even completely factual or accurate, for all I know.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:58 PM
funnotcrazy

Hey, I never faulted anybody when I started this thread. Even said that anyone who flies airplanes is (at least partially ) OK in my book.
Also stated that many posts in the ARF/RTF section relayed how many of these planes had components fail or depart the craft entirely during flight.
Then made the observation that none of these things had happened to any kit that I have "built." Also said that I was not looking to start any verbal fisticuffs or smack talking.

Simply stating that when you build (or put together "the laser cut parts that someone prepared" ) the plane will probably have "structural integrity."
And that I learned a whole lot of things about this hobby by Building - that someone who has only done ARF&RTF likely will not know.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:36 PM
funnotcrazy

Just now recalled one of the first ARF fliers I ever saw, many years ago. Never had seen the guy before or since. He could take off & land (barely) and repeatedly would climb up high, nose over & gun it. Swooping straight down at full bore and YANKING full up elevator at the last second. Somebody told him he had better ease off on that, but he would not take heed.

I mentioned to my buddy to keep watching because something funny was going to happen. Well, I'll leave it to your imagination as to what happened on the fifth or sixth time he performed his only "stunt." The kid got all ballistic yelling about how "something was wrong with that airplane." How he was going straight to the hobby shop & get his money back!

I looked over at my buddy and said " I told you something funny was going happen."
Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
JRgraham

haha, thats both a funny and sad story
Old 02-20-2014, 05:32 PM
funnotcrazy

And 100% True

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.