Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite P-51 60 Size Kit

Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
superchargedill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Top Flite P-51 60 Size Kit

Hi Guys,
I have a P-51 60 size kit that I built a long time ago. Like 20 years ago. And back then I wasn't into the detail like I am now and opted not to take the time to add flaps. I know, I know. And I had spent so much time building it I didn't want to fly it so I just hung it up in the shop. So time goes by and I finally completed it and flew it. It flies great and was a kick to fly, but we fly off of a very uneven grass field so nice smooth take offs and landings are far and few between. My plane has the mechanical retracts which work nice and scale like but on one landing the gear support wood broke on one of the gear. I repaired that one and got a few more flights before the plastic housing/ mount on the other gear cracked and broke.

Rather than start tearing this wing apart to redo it adding flaps and adding more gear support, can anyone here tell me if the Top Flite 60 size ARF wing will fit the Kit P-51 ? Are the dimensions the same ? Are the mounts in the same place ?

I'm not looking for probably's, Thank you, I'd like to know 100% for sure before I spend $100.00 to buy the wing. Thanks for the help, Dil Brandow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1971.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1974851   Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1967.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	1974853  

Last edited by superchargedill; 03-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the best lace to ask this question would be hobby services at towerhobbies.com they will have the answers,and there just a phone call away

I just looked at the photos and the wings look awfully close as for the wing pins there custom for any kit Vs. a ARF 2 kits are not going to match up exactly so its logical a jig built wing isn't going to line up perfectly to a kit.

asking for 100% certainty I think is asking allot Dil, and even if you built a wing from new parts from TF(you can buy a new wing kit from them also ribs and all the die cut parts minus the skins) your going to need to tweak the fuse to get a perfect fit regardless of your choice.

secondly have you looked at the TF ARF Mustang thread in the warbirds section its full of information on the ARF and allot of guys I am sure would be glad to measure there wing root sections for you to see if it will fit your fuse
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 AM
superchargedill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cut into the lower sheeting around the gear so I could look at the damage. The mechanical landing gear I have is from Robart and was offered long ago when I bought the plane. Though the main vendor(Starts with a T) I buy most of my plane stuff from doesn't list mechanical retracts for the kit version, I did find that they list them for the ARF version so I'm covered there. And since I have the wing opened up for heart surgery I decided to do the right thing. I dug into a box of leftover wood from kits over the years and am redoing the gear mount area with thicker, stronger wood, and adding reinforcements. I'll take some pictures today and post them later.

I have a Saito 1.25 that runs fantastic that I'll mount and get her back in the air. I'll see how the landings go. If all is good I'm going to recover the plane since the approximate 25 year old covering has been heat shrunk beyond limits and still has wrinkles. If I decide that she needs flaps I'll do some modifying before I recover everything. Thanks for the info, Dil