Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

NOS Covering

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

NOS Covering

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS Covering

I've been rebuilding this old PT-40 trainer (club trainer #2) this season. I've been trimming it up to look like a school bus. I've been using scrap and leftover covering for it and pulled out a couple old rolls. These had to be from the mid 90's when I was in the hobby before my hiatus until now. This made in USA Monokote goes on like a dream just like I remember it. When I got back in the hobby 3 years ago I really thought I had lost my covering skills. Then I found out that they changed Monokote and was more difficult to work with. Anyone remember when Ultracote was made by Carl Goldberg? Haven't tried this stuff yet. I got 2 rolls of it and am going to use it on the blue/white CG cub I'm building.

I almost feel guilty using this stuff. But hey it's what it was made for right?

Peace,
J

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813 (Medium).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1979803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814 (Medium).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1979804  
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There are guys on both sides of the fence and both have pros and cons. The UC will need less heat and can be stretched a little easier. The MK can take the extra heat and if you mess up will let you get a wrinkle out. When you try to heat a hard wrinkle out of UC many times the seam will slip before the wrinkle comes out.

As far as old MK. I have used some that is 10-15 years old. It takes a little extra heat to get it really stick and it is not as plyable. But ended up with great results.

david
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Ultracote was never made by Goldberg but was imported from Germany where it is known as Oracover. Sold today by Horizon under the Hanger 9 branding, it is the same stuff. It has always had Oracover printed on the edge of the paper backing if you look closely. Batch numbers, etc. are also printed there.

Regarding MonoKote being made outside of the USA, TopFlite claims otherwise and the last couple of rolls I got still said Made in USA on the label. They could have been old stock and I wouldn't have any way of knowing otherwise.

For me, none of these coverings seem quite as good as they once were. Just minor differences but enough to say they are not as good.