Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for 60 size Royal Spitfire pics - esp engine placement

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for 60 size Royal Spitfire pics - esp engine placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for 60 size Royal Spitfire pics - esp engine placement

I have not been able to find a build thread for a Royall Spitfire. I'm wondering is there an engine/muffler configuration that would fit inside the cowl? Pics of your engine placement would be appreciated. Also, does the Royal 60 size have any gull wing features?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

knowing what I do about Royal planes the front end cowl area is a bunch of wood blocks that need to be shaped into a nose, I built a FW190A8 and did several mods to resemble the construction techniques used by Top Flite rather than the wood block structures that Royal has for there models.
I ended up making a plug for the cowl area and casting a fiberglass cowl so I could have better airflow and a more modern airplane this isn't a Spitfire but here is my build thread and what I did as far as modifications.

I cant speak to the Spitfire but my FW190 had a note on the plans for a scale empennage if one would like to build that with a note that the plane was allot harder to fly with the smaller tail section I opted to make the regular larger control surfaces http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l-fw190a8.html
Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Scratchie

Thanks for the thread. I've gotten pretty good at vacuum molding 0.40 styrene, and may make some parts out of styrene molds from the wood carvings.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchie
Thanks for the thread. I've gotten pretty good at vacuum molding 0.40 styrene, and may make some parts out of styrene molds from the wood carvings.
thats next on my to do list is make a vac forming table I have been wanting to pull some parts and canopy's you used to be able to get parts off ebay for Royal planes but now the best place is fiberglass specialties http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm i have purchased several items from them and they were very good quality offerings,
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Scratchie

After a few try's it was easy to vacuum form. Here are some Royal B-17 cowls I made, saved about 12-13 oz I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05737.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	1991229