Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willig10
Tony:
Thanks, so it looks like I am ready to start laying down panel lines. Where would be a good place to get a set of panel line drawings? I am not going overboard on the lines but do want to add some for a little detail.

Thanks again
Glenn
Try this
Or just do a search.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-P-47 - scale Aviation modeller .jpg
Views:	244
Size:	811.9 KB
ID:	2033520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-49.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	2033523  
Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM
TonyBuilder

Got my telemetry to work with no help from Futaba support or the manuals. It was so easy that it is hard.

Just doing engine temp and air speed for now. I installed the Rcxel tac for RPM into the cockpit for a visual on my RPM, that's all I need. The P-47 will have all the other telemetry.

TB

TB
Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony it would really be nice to relay that info to your transmitter screen, engine temp and RPM would be good things to know while in the air, cool too.

Leroy
Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 AM
TonyBuilder

Leroy, I agree that engine temp and RPM are good tools to have in flight. I have receiver bat and engine temp on my home screen for in flight visual, and my air speed on my T-box. I removed the RPM sensor because it was blocking part of my intake air. Once I get a few flights in and see how my temp is I can install the RPM sensor. I don't have a lot of room or options with the scale cowl on this plane. The P-47 has a more generous cowl.

TB
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

T/B Back in the days when I was flying light aircraft (no flat pnls). The most used gage other than the compass and directional gyro was the air speed and it is my understanding that air speed can be an audible with the system you are using, so It would be great if yo would tell us how it is working for you.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-20-2014, 01:44 PM
TonyBuilder

Ok guys, the maiden has happened.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:47 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND? C'mon! Details? Video?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:17 PM
rt3232

and +1

bob T
Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Melchizedek

Maybe the video is still uploading ?

Kevin
Old 09-20-2014, 02:26 PM
TonyBuilder

So last night I got the last of my telemetry working and installed to the fuselage. I had to bind the T-box to the receiver.

When I go to the field this morning I began setup. It was a cloudy and dizzily morning but that was expected.
I installed the wing. I cam up with a way to use my working jig to install the wing with the plane upright. I just slide the wing under the fuselage and then hook the wires up and then lift the wing a few inches into the fuselage.
Worked great. then I turned on my radio and fired up the receivers, all checked until the elevator and ruder stopped working and one aileron. Everything ells worked. So I pulled the wing and checked, all was hooked up.
I then hooked it back up and again everything worked for a few movements of the stick then the aileron, elevator and ruder stopped working, all the other channels were working.

So at this point I had lost all confidence in the receivers and the electronics in the plane. Bummed that this was happening I disconnected all the telemetry. Then hooked up each servo one at a time until they all worked, then the wing back on and the plane on the ground, turned it on and again everything worked for a few seconds and then the elevator, one aileron and the ruder stopped, flaps and everything ells worked. So by now I am done, this is screwed up and there is no way I am flying with these receivers even if I do get it working.

So I pulled the two receivers and anything that was there for telemetry. I had a receiver on hand that as originally for this plane. A 14ch receiver I have used in a few planes before. So I installed it and tested, everything worked.
Being I have two batteries for the two receivers I put both bats coming from the two switches into a Y harness making the two 2600 a single 5200. Then that plugged into the regulator and then into the receiver. I was happy with that.

Then after getting it all hooked up I just stuffed it all in the fuselage, put the wing on and set the plane down for a range test. I was able to get about 200 feet away and everything was checking out. The receiver was just stuffed into the fuselage, no antennas sticking out of the fuselage. Next I put some air in my wheels and got them nice and firm. Did one last check on flaps, adding 5% down when flaps are deployed.

Weather was great, cloudy with some sun pockets and blue sky's, wind was light but a direct cross coming at me. I was not worried about this and felt that I could handle this. I wanted to do the first flight without the cowl doors so I added 8oz of led to compensate for the doors.

She started right up and I rolled out. I did a few runs up and down the runway and it was a little left and right but I felt I could handle it. So I turned at the end of the runway and gave it a shot. About 50' it was veering right or left hard and looping. So I came back and figured it was the cross wind and needed to commit more so I tried again, it did the same and on the third I went for it, it started out good then about a80' or so it veered hard left and I was committed so I kept going. t this field you can afford to go off the runway and keep going. Well it was in the air after 100' and I leveled off about 10' off the ground to gain speed and then I climbed.

The engine was running great, 6900 on the ground with the 22X8 prop. I gained altitude and she was cooking. A lap then I started to trim, a few clicks up elevator and a few aileron. She was very responsive and I was in high rates so I went to low rates, still jumpy. I checked the roll rate, she roles good. Then we did some slow flying and a few more fast fly byes. She flew great and plenty of power for a 30lb plane. I tried flaps and she was ballooning so no flaps until I add more down elevator mix.

I came around to do a mock approach and flew by low and kind of slow, then around and a real attempt. It was very jumpy on elevator and I had a hard time getting in a glide, the first attempt had me bounce and go up and around and then the second I chopped power (also lowered the idle a couple of clicks) as I went into the perch. I came in flying about 10' off the ground bleeding off speed, it was still very touchy on elevator but I managed to get her on the ground and no bouncing. It was a little hot but plenty of runway to go. About halfway down and the tail still flying she veered a hard right and went into the fence. She came to a stop and all looked ok from the vantage point I had. When I got to the plane I could see it hit a guard post on the LE of the left wing, a small dent no biggy. The prop was damaged and the tail wheel broke away, it is designed to do this so it wont damage the fuselage or the steering internal parts.

So I walked her back and the first thing I noticed was the right wheel was barely turning, lots of resistance. I checked them both and they were binding big time. This was causing the bad ground handling. I failed to check the wheels before I flew, my bad. When I pumped them up and left the plane on the t6armack while I ate lunch they ballooned at the top and were uneven. So pilot error for not making sure my wheels were free wheeling.

The other error was I had 0 expo. I totally forgot to even check that. I guess I assumed I had already programed that. So this is why it was so touchy. I usually fly with 25-30 on sports and war birds. 60- 75 on 3D.

So just a bruised pride and a small dent in the LE, a broken tail wheel and a totally intact plane I gathered my plane and gave it a quick look over. All looks good and the dent will be fixed by next week and I already picked up a new tail wheel assembly.

She really did fly good with plenty of power and all the control surfaces worked good. Short of the expo and the bad wheels it was not bad. I am swapping out the Du-bro wheels for the Robart aluminum wheels and I will go with the lighter tail wheel assembly like I had in the first chippie.

I forgot to turn on my camera so Johnny 5 was not on duty, next time.

TB
Old 09-20-2014, 02:29 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by rt3232
T/B Back in the days when I was flying light aircraft (no flat pnls). The most used gage other than the compass and directional gyro was the air speed and it is my understanding that air speed can be an audible with the system you are using, so It would be great if yo would tell us how it is working for you.

Cheers Bob T
Bob, I am really disappointed in Futabas telemetry system so I am going back to basics. Single receiver and no telemetry. Anyone want a Robi T-box and airspeed indicator for a cheap price????

On the P-47 I am going with the 14ch receiver and no telemetry either.

TB
Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM
rt3232

T/B

From what I have read futaba's telemetry system is a B#$%^h to get right, but once you have it, from what I have read it is rock solid, and yes I would like to have it but it will not work with my old 8 U , it is converted to 2.4 and it works for me. I will not buy a new system till this one goes dead, just to old at this point.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood #6
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Is reading trustworthy ?

Originally Posted by rt3232
T/B

From what I have read futaba's telemetry system is a B#$%^h to get right, but once you have it, from what I have read it is rock solid, and yes I would like to have it but it will not work with my old 8 U , it is converted to 2.4 and it works for me. I will not buy a new system till this one goes dead, just to old at this point.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood #6
I do not trust what I read in these subjects till I can prove it to myself.

Zor
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder

Bob,

I am really disappointed in Futabas telemetry system so I am going back to basics. Single receiver and no telemetry. Anyone want a Robi T-box and airspeed indicator for a cheap price????

On the P-47 I am going with the 14ch receiver and no telemetry either.

TB
Tony,

Functioning telemetry has to be read by a co-pilot.
The captain has no time to read it himself.

A model flying at 45 mph ( 66 feet per second ) has less than 5 seconds to hit the ground from an altitude of 200 feet.

If a full fuel tank has been timed on the ground at full throttle then the model can be held within gliding distance of the runway after a period of time.
If the engine is not overheating on the ground test at full throttle it will not overheat in the air.
What is the purpose of reading the model airspeed ?

You are doing fine without telemetry.

Zor
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM
stevegauth30

I use telemetry on a couple of my planes, and rarely ever look at any of it. The only thing I glance at every so often is battery voltages. Other than that, it's like it's not there. It did save me from loosing a plane once though. If I made one more turn around the patch I probably would have lost all controls and crashed. I use spektrum and was as easy to set up as a reciever. A big congrats from me there buddy. You built yourself a beautiful airplane and I hope you get years and years of enjoyment out of it. I learned a lot from you in the process. Thanks. Looking forward to Angie.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:12 AM
TonyBuilder

Telemetry is more of a toy for me, just another added function to play with. Yes you really don't look at your radio to see telemetry, that's why there is speech on the radios.

Originally I was going to use the same receiver I had in the prototype of Angie, the 14ch. But I had the 8ch Sbus receiver and thought I would try the duel receiver with telemetry and test it for use in Angie 2. I am sure it works, one guy at our field uses all the Futabe stuff in his big 3D planes, telemetry and duel receivers split to cover redundant control surfaces. I don't have a problem when something like telemetry doesn't work or has issues but when flight controls work then stop working, that is as far as I go. I have had nothing but success with Futaba and never lost bind or any problems until I started using this duel Sbus system. I did call Futaba last week when I thought I had a problem with only one ch working (it was my bad, had a servo plugged into the wrong slot). They said that the receivers are to new so just send it in.
No one at the field could believe or understand how a receiver (channel) could work one moment, then stop working. and then again repeat the same problem. It was not a battery issue, or a binding issue, it was a Sbus issue for it to work but have three channels drop out.

So I got all repairs done short of touch up paint. I will do that this evening before I go out of town for the week. I installed a new tail wheel assembly, so glad I made that center section between the elevators removable. I went with the smaller lighter assembly as the first one was so rigged it had no give at all. This one will bend pretty good so maybe it wont break off as easily as the other one did. Plus the size is more proportional and looks better. So I am headed back to the field for some more test flights. I will pay more attention to setup and go over the plane before I fly again. And I will turn on the camera.

Just from the flight I had yesterday I can see that this plane will fly great and will take off with about half the runway. I changed the wheels to the 5" Robart aluminum wheels I had on Angie the prototype. They spin freely, no binding and they are very sturdy and wont fold from side forces.
They are a little big so I will order a set of 4" .
It still amazes me how a 30lb plane like this jumps into the air so easily, lots of lift I guess.

I will get the flaps dialed in and I will give it a go if all checks out.

TB
Old 09-21-2014, 02:34 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by Zor
Tony,

Functioning telemetry has to be read by a co-pilot.
The captain has no time to read it himself.

A model flying at 45 mph ( 66 feet per second ) has less than 5 seconds to hit the ground from an altitude of 200 feet.

If a full fuel tank has been timed on the ground at full throttle then the model can be held within gliding distance of the runway after a period of time.
If the engine is not overheating on the ground test at full throttle it will not overheat in the air.
What is the purpose of reading the model airspeed ?

You are doing fine without telemetry.

Zor
Zor, telemetry really is just an added toy function but when it starts to mess with the flight reliability I. e. receiver problems it will not be used, yes I can fly without it, and do not need it, but you know it is there so why not try it, I did and I wont again, not until it is an integral function that requires nothing but activating it in your radio.

TB
Old 09-21-2014, 03:44 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear the maiden did not go so well Tony. Best of luck on the next time out.
I agree tele is just another toy, but, with an 8-10K model it is nice to know everything is doing well. I have Eagle Tree's tele, run's on a separate system than the Rx. It records the data and I can view it after the flight to see what is what. I use rpm, engine temps, airspeed, throttle position, and the batteries output. I wish they had video with it so I could orient what is doing what while watching the planes orientation. Plan on using an onboard camera and coordinating the video with the recorder, should work.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Zor
Banned

Default A poem

Once upon a time
A fellow with lots of time

This fellow named Tony
Decided to build a pony

A pony with wings to ride the sky
And show the world he was not shy

In the RC Universe forum
Tony had a super thread to run

With his abilities and attitude
He attracted the multitude

A good photographer Tony was
And hundreds of pictures there was

To show the RC enthusiast
That model airplane building can be fast

The attention to details
Was like the guidance of a rail

For the viewers
And the building achievers

The full size Chipmunk became a Chipy
In Tony’s model recipe

Congratulations fell all over Tony
For the success of his pony.

End
Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
TonyBuilder

Ok got back to the field today for some more test flights, got a good 5 or 6 flights in.

I changed the wheels to the Robart 5" wheels and that makes a big difference. It was a north wind here that is a right hand pattern. I am ok with that but not my most comfortable, plus the field is setup better for left hand pattern. Wind was light and down the runway.

Sun and a mix of clouds. I decided it would be best to takeoff and land on the grass (should have done that on the maiden!). At this field there is a big area for grass takeoffs and landings, not a golf course runway like some of those corn field airfields.

So the first flight was great, took off nice and easy with no looping or trouble at all.

http://youtu.be/WJSFrp9M_wI
Got airborne and flew at full for a few laps. After about 4 mins I noticed one of the cowl doors was open. This is the first time I have flown with cowl doors, and only the second time for this bird.

So I came around and landed. Landings with flaps was easy and she floated right in.

http://youtu.be/HasCtNt4zGk The latches came undone and the cowl was loos so I removed both cowls as I will need to modify the latches. I was thinking they would come loos and should have tied them but I guess now I know.

The next flight was a full go for it flight and I did a good 8-10 min flight. Again landings were nice and easy. using the grass is much better to test how the plane will take off and land, the target is much bigger and you can hold the glide until it is time to flair. She really came in slower then I thought with not much of a head wind.

I got a few more flights in and then I noticed my canopy was loos so I landed and removed it. The sled bracket broke loos from the actuator. So I flew the remaining flights without the rear canopy.
I need to get some time on her to work out these thing. So far every thing is holding up short of having to modify the cowl door latches and then make a new canopy sled, more like the one I did on Angie the prototype.

I did video with Johnny 5, some good but they are long and will take hours to upload. Still a lot of vibration so I will come up with a better mount to remove some of the vibration.

So the fries ailerons work great, turns are very smooth without any ruder. The ruder is very responsive and plenty for hammerheads and basic maneuvers. Speed is good as she moves along very nicely, she flies more scale then the first lighter chippie.
Climb outs are good but not unlimited.
I will do more testing and flying this week. The landing gear is holding out well, the new tail wheel is good and all I need to do is fix the latches and the canopy sled.

So it was a great day, lots of flying and I will start modifying and fixing later this week. I am planning on flying the rest of the week, need to work tomorrow but from there on I am flying till Monday.

TB
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Is there a way you could install a piece of tubing in the shaft between the servo and the camera?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
TonyBuilder

OKC, I will try a soft mount foam between the mount and the camera, this worked well on the Sbach.

TB
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I hope ikt works it's such a great idea have a pilot's eye view!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:59 PM
TonyBuilder

I got all the modifications done today. The new canopy sled was beefed up. Instead of butt soldering the parts I cut a slot for the guide that goes in to the rails for the center canopy slide and soldered it at the exit points. This should be 10x stronger. I also uped the two bolts that hold the canopy to the bracket with 2-56

the cowl door latches got scraped and I tap threaded the holes and used some button screws. I hope this works.
Tomorrow I am going to fly, fly, fly, Johnny 5 will take a break.

TB
Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
stevegauth30

Glad to see everything is going well. Good feeling, huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.