Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Wunder, Need help with electic motor

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Wunder, Need help with electic motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sig Wunder, Need help with electic motor

Ok guys, it's a bit odd for me to be in here asking for some help but that's what's where I'm at. I need need some help from the building/electric world. When I was covering Toledo I was in the Sig booth talking with Mike Gretz and we were talking about the Sig Wunder. To make a long story short he handed me a copy the kit to build here on RCU to do a Build Thread on here on RCU. Definitely don't have any problems doing that. I've had several Sig Wunders over the years and they are some of the funnest planes I've had to fly. Anyway, Mike asked me if I was going to build it with electric power. My immediate answer was "heck no!" Every Sig Wunder I've ever had was always ran with a glow engine and of course that's what I was going do with this one. So Mike said no problem there. However, on my drive back home I got to thinking about it and I remembered all the hassles of getting the started and then picking it up, handling it, taking it full throttle, and then hand launching it and I thought that maybe going to electric might not be too bad of an idea after all.

So, I need some help in picking a good 25 sized motor/esc. I know I could just run to the Rimfire as an easy solution, but the cost is a bit more than I want to pay, and I know there are less expensive solutions out that that will give me the same performance. Like I said, I want to stay in the .25 glow engine equivalent size and I am planning on using 3S 2200 packs as they will fit the fuselage really well. I'm looking forward to good cost effective solutions from the RCU community.

Thanks guys.

Ken
Old 06-08-2014, 04:56 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Try the Eflite Power 25 and 40 Amp ESC that is used in the T-34. I have the same setup in the Twin Otter, and they work pretty well, though they do drain the 3300 mah 3S packs fairly quickly. Recommended prop is a 12x6, so if that prop is too large for the Wunder, step it down to a Power 25 that is used in the Apprentice.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I should have also noted in my quest is that I'm also trying to save as much $$$$ as I can. We all understand that some brand names carry a heavy price tag with them, so I'm also looking to get the best bang for my buck. I have looked at the pricing on the E-Flite yet so I don't know where it's at in the pricing arena.

Ken
Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM
allamericanflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use the Tacon 25 offered by Hobbypartz. I use the Tacon 46 in my Great Planes Extra 300 and it has more than enough power, reliable and is very reasonable.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m603-big...826-870kv.html

I love the Wunder, had one years ago with an O.S. 15, it was a BULLET!

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM
acdii

Turnegy 25 is about $27.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Ken, I'll be watching for your build thread. BTW, it's Wonder, with an O. Wonder what made you think it was Wunder?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 AM
acdii

I wundered about that myself.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
Hi Ken, I'll be watching for your build thread. BTW, it's Wonder, with an O. Wonder what made you think it was Wunder?
Bruce,
Sorry about that. Is the Wonder one of your designs???

Ken
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Bruce,
Sorry about that. Is the Wonder one of your designs???

Ken
Yup. It was the last design I did for Sig before leaving to start BTE. Seems like a small, simple model, but I actually built about four prototypes with tweaks each time to arrive at the final kit design. Fun airplane!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
Yup. It was the last design I did for Sig before leaving to start BTE. Seems like a small, simple model, but I actually built about four prototypes with tweaks each time to arrive at the final kit design. Fun airplane!
Well you sure designed a winner. Although all of the ones that I had were all piles of splinters waiting for place to happen. They such a fun little plane to fly it's hard not to fly them fast, low, and hard and eventually re-kit them!!!! But my hat is definitely off you Bruce, you designed a winner!!!!

Ken