Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Noob Kit selection - 60" warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Noob Kit selection - 60" warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 AM
vonmarshall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Kit selection - 60" warbirds

Hi all

I have decided it is time for me to try my hands at building a decent warbird.

I have years of RC experience with cars / tanks etc and love building and finishing so am keen to push the boundaries and tackle some balsa work.

Currently i am flying park flyers (PZ Spit and FW190) and I would like to build a similar style plane at about 60" wingspan. It will be electric powered.

So far I have had a look at all of the following:
  • Top Flite Spitfire with an electric conversion
  • Tony Nijhuis Spitfire and FW190 (and Typhoon which I just love but they seem very hard to get done at a reasonable weight)
  • Brian Taylor FW190 (or Tempest but have the same concern as the Tiffie) converted to electric

My head says get the Top Flite kit and then move onto plans.
But my head also says get a FW190 which by all accounts is an easier plane to fly than the Spit.
My hearts says build a Typhoon with full invasion stripes and rockets under the wings!

At this stage I am keen to get your thoughts on which one I should start building.

Do not worry too much about my ability to fly the thing... I know I have a lot of practice to do and planes to crash before I take one of these up!

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome.

Noel
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Build what you want to see fly,, it's going to be your plane

another line to consider
http://www.skysharkrc.com/warbird_kits/default.html

good luck
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Build what you want to see fly,, it's going to be your plane

another line to consider
http://www.skysharkrc.com/warbird_kits/default.html

good luck
thanks for the head-up on Skyshark.

Knowing the way I work, I will end up building several planes, so at this point I am probably most interested in starting a build that has the least amount of issues to overcome so I can focus on my skills rather than bodging! I know a Typhoon will be built one day but maybe i should not start with one.

I probably should have re-phrased the question as which kit / plan would be most fun to build for somebody new to balsa?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this is your first build, stick with something that's straight forward and has no real issues to hang up on. Just like learning to fly a plane, you need to learn to build one as well and assembling an ARF or foamy isn't going to teach you anything. I'd look at the Sig Rascal, Four Star 20EP or the Kobra as a first build. I know, they're not as cool as one of the warbirds you mentioned above but, without the general knowledge on how to build a plane, you could very well be setting yourself up for failure. With all the mechanical and electrical parts(ie retracts, linkages, servos, motors, ESCs, etc) needed to complete a scale fighter, it could be an expensive failure if the plane crashes and everything is destroyed in the crash
Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what aircraft you chose make it a kit from a manufacturer who supplies good detailed, step by step instructions, that "lead you by the hand". Something from Great Planes or Top Flite will do that. And yes, something on the simple side would be wise for your first stick build. Enjoy!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last edited by TomCrump; 09-06-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was waiting for that sort of response!

Sorry to disapoint but I have never lacked ambition in any project I embark on!

What I have learnt about myself is that first and foremost I have to be passionate about the subject no matter what I am modelling. If I am not passionate it does not matter how easy it is to build, simply put I won't finish it.

I am in my 40's and have a good job and a young familly so my limited hobby time is ringfenced for subjects that I love.

I have also developed the core skill of patience and believe I can solve any problem given enough thought. Cocky I know but so far I have got away with it!

Back to my selection, the Top Flite kits with their very detailed build manuals (and numerous build logs online) would seem the best start. A Skyshark FW190 also really appeals but I cannot find out how well detailed their build manuals are and there are far less online builds to follow so maybe I will save that for a second build.

More input is most welcome (just don't try to put me off a warbird no matter how wrll meaning!)

Last edited by vonmarshall; 09-06-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's your money, hope you don't waste it by letting your "ambition" get you in over your head. Since my advice obviously isn't wanted, I won't post in your thread again
Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM
w0mbat

I would suggest you don't build the Skyshark kit as your first kit - and I own the company! In the past 13 years, I don't remember anyone who has been successful building one as a first kit but I do remember spending hours upon hours on the phone with people only to find out they have never built a kit before! I know that I could never have done it when I first entered the hobby. The Top Flite instructions are a little more detailed, however, there is a lot of sanding and fitting parts - it will also be a huge challenge unless you have an experienced builder helping you. Now if you have someone experienced helping you, then you will be ok with either kit.

My advice if you really want to start with a warbird and don't have help is to consider the Great Planes sport P-51 or Corsair kit. They are substantially easier because they go over many of the basics. You will end up with a lot of money invested in a scale warbird, so you want to keep it as light and straight as possible in order to make it enjoyable to fly. In my experience, first kit builds tend to be heavy because it takes a few builds to learn all the tricks and techniques.

I guess you have to decide if you want to build or if you want to simply have a built-up warbird. If you just want to have a balsa warbird of your choice, consider paying someone to build it for you. There are a lot of people out there who just love to build and would be willing to build a kit for almost nothing.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by w0mbat
I would suggest you don't build the Skyshark kit as your first kit - and I own the company! In the past 13 years, I don't remember anyone who has been successful building one as a first kit but I do remember spending hours upon hours on the phone with people only to find out they have never built a kit before! I know that I could never have done it when I first entered the hobby. The Top Flite instructions are a little more detailed, however, there is a lot of sanding and fitting parts - it will also be a huge challenge unless you have an experienced builder helping you. Now if you have someone experienced helping you, then you will be ok with either kit.

My advice if you really want to start with a warbird and don't have help is to consider the Great Planes sport P-51 or Corsair kit. They are substantially easier because they go over many of the basics.
Many thanks for your great advice! You own a great company! I have read every skyshark build thread on the web and every one of them praises the design and precision fit of your kits. I managed to download the instructions for your FW190 and can see there are definitely parts of the instructions that require more interpretation and understanding of building techniques than I currently have.

Your summary of Top Flite rings true with the many build threads I have read for their Spit and to a lesser extent with their P-47. Top Flite instructions are more detailed but their plan-to-part match seems a tiny bit off and the builders seem to spend a lot of their thread talking about filling, shimming, shaving and general bodging.

The most important thing I have always found in the past 20 years bashing kits of all types is that it is easier to build a complex kit of any type that has been executed immaculately, than to build a simple kit executed badly!

I have a good friend nearby who is a very experienced flyer (he is the one that inspired me to move my building skills into this arena) but he has only built a few balsa kits a long time ago. He is actually an aeronautical engineer and is cnc machining a jet engine from scratch at the moment! Whilst I cannot count on him for advice on which glue to use or how to make balsa bend the way you want it, there are so many threads and youtube videos that show you how, I am comfortable that between us we could crack most problems I encounter.

I will go and check out Great Planes as suggested. I have already found this thread which looks interesting...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ld-thread.html

It appears thay you may well have given me the way forward. Much appreciated.

I will be sure to buy one of your kits once th P51 is completed!

Last edited by vonmarshall; 09-07-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go taylor typhoon , it will give you a better chance as far as weight.60 inch planes
are too much of a challenge getting them under the too fat area . the BT typhoon
is a 70 inch span.

Last edited by WhiteRook; 09-14-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vonmarshall
Hi all

I have decided it is time for me to try my hands at building a decent warbird.

Noel
Have you thought about a WW1 warbird.
These two would be a lot easier to build and still have a warbird look, much lighter wing loading and no retracts to worry about.

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/436.htm

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/419.htm
Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
TXAG96

Vonmarshall,

I have built both the FW-190 and the TF Spit. Both excellent fying planes. Both have some characteristics that can complicate things. The FW with the long gear is tough to land well. The Spit wants to nose over also when the plane slows down and the tail loses effectiveness. Both planes are a HUGE step up required flying abilities over a PZ foam warbird. Just make sure you are ready for that step beofre you actually fly it. Keep the tail as light as possible on both. I had to add a ton of nose weight to both of them. I have a DLE-20 stuffed in the nose of the spit and it is a rocket. Awesome flyer. It is a warbird and is heavy and needs to be flown like one. The TF is pretty forgiving but not like a foam or plastic covered sport plane. Build what you like best. The TF kit is probably a great place to start your first build. The intsructions and build threads will provide all the info you need. Then move on to the Bryan Taylor.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04188(2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	2032983   Click image for larger version

Name:	spit1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2032984  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM
vonmarshall

Thanks for all the advice.

Have gone for the TF Spit as a first build. The really detailed instructions combined with the numerous build logs online make this the most obvious start.

Re flying it, I reckon it will take me over 2 years to build and paint and detail as I want (I only get a few hours a week), so by then I hope my flying skills are up to scratch. I was thinking of moving onto a hangar 9 Spit for some ARF fun to hone my Spit skills before putting 100's of hours of build and detailing in the air.