Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest super hots 60 build manual?P

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest super hots 60 build manual?P

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Defenderdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Mizer... I noticed that there's no scale on the hand drawn sheets... do you think they'll print out at the right size? The landing gear assembly may be the only piece I could use more information about, but it may not be that hard to fabricate something.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Def, do you have a vice?? It's just piano wire and easy to bend. I will root around in my files to see if I have any photos of the ones I made for it. I went a little stupid on the engine and needed longer gear and just made up a set.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 PM
MiZer1981

thats the gear.

It it should print out correctly. It did when I scanned it it. And I doubt Steve at outerzone changed any of that. He did combine them into one pdf for convenience.

If you wish, shoot me an email and I can send you my original scans.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Gray Beard

I didn't have a warbird and for some reason the Hots before the cowl was built reminded me of a F4U? Anyway, I had to build the cowl to fit around the YS 110 and that changed the look. The landing gear needed to be made to accommodate the longer props I used, smallest was a 15 and the biggest was a 16 inch. The LG is just bent piano wire and I used nylon LG holders to keep it on and break away in case of a hard landing. The set up was two elevator, two aileron, one rudder and throttle servos. I set up the elevator as the master to the ailerons in flaperon mode so as more up elevator was added the ailerons would come down to accommodate them. It was on a switch and a lot of fun in the wind. Not so good for landing on a calm day though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001467.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	2040454  
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM
MiZer1981

That covering job puts mine to shame!

thats the stang I picked up, really sad I didn't get to build it from scratch tho.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Gray Beard

Thanks, I enjoy covering but I have no artistic ability at all. I do OK with covering but my painting looks like a id in first grade did it. The main thing is finding a covering you like and getting to know it. At the time I was using nothing but Ultra. I had switched after Mono changed it's formulation and it became hit and miss what colors would work. Now I am using the Chinacote we get from Hobby King. A 5 meter roll costs less then a standard roll of the other two. I still like Mono for trim because it is the only one that activates with ammonia. China and Ultra don't sag and wrinkle in the sun either, a big plus for me in this area.
I run into the old P-51 kits quite often. I just passed on a red label Top Flight kit NIB. If you want I can keep my eyes open for you on the smaller kits. Most of the guys I fly with don't build and are into giant scale planes.I build from plans but if I find a nice kit I enjoy them too.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Hab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey look! .. it's nuther Hots!

Wish I had come across this thread sooner. Scratched a Super from a set of plans I came across. Plans were just copied from an original Hots - one piece ( non- removable wing)
Of course I had to make changes and make it a Super with a removable. But, great flier with an OS .61

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	1303
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2093089   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2093090   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	1217
Size:	883.1 KB
ID:	2093091   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2093092   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2093093   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2093094   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2093096   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2093097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	1275
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2093098   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2093099  

Last edited by Hab; 04-29-2015 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
longobardia (07-22-2020)
Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM
MiZer1981

Should post a completion picture of my hots.

Yours turned out just fine from plans!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Hab

Like the flame job .. Looks good! Must stand out well. Nothing fancy on this one. Bottoms are blue, in order to differentiate top from bottom when flying.
I went with duals for the ailerons. Thought it was a bit of a tight squeeze for a center ( single servo) for the ailerons using torque rods.. Looked to be fairly close to the ele. and rud. servo when mounted up. Other than that, No other great changes. Have a couple flights on it so far. First maiden, only two "beeps" of left aileron for a hands off. Stumbled across this thread looking through for a Sig Skybolt build. "Sig" not a GP Super.

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1129
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	2093110  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 PM
MiZer1981

It's a bit of a tight fit with a single servo, but it works well.

Underside is mostly red on mine. Wife thought it needed flames so she drew them up for me.

first flight was also good with mine, aside from some engine trouble that I finally got sorted, was a hairy dead stick landing with an unfamiliar plane tho. Hoping to get a good chance to fly this weekend, would like some video of it going.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Gray Beard

The HOTs was a Dan Santich original design for fun fly competition and the plans came in a lot of different sizes and even a Bipe. The original was a much better flying plane then the Mid West design but the one piece wing was a problem when hauling. Mid West made the wing removable but they decided that a lot of ply was needed? It's weight is quite a bit heavier then the plans built.
I built my Hots to replace my Tower Up-Roars that I competed with. It didn't fly near as well as a Roar due to the weight. After I lost my Hots I sort of gave up on fun fly planes until this year and I scratch built another Roar and made it as light as I could. With just a little .40 engine it's a hoot to fly but still a pain to haul. I did think of making the wing removable but it would have added more weight. The complete plane is under 3.5 pounds fully loaded.
If I build another Hots it will be an original from plans and kept light as I could make it. They are a fantastic plane and very tough so they can put up with a lot of abuse.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM
MiZer1981

It's a lovely plane. Mine came in about 6lbs fully loaded. So it's heavy for sure! Guys at the field always get a giggle out of the solid ply sides on it. I haven't had any rough landings yet happily so I hope to get several years out of it.

Cant complain for 24 bucks for the kit, solid ply or otherwise.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Gray Beard

I don't recall the weight of mine but I didn't do much to lighten it. I built it for those days when we get the really high winds. Most of the added weight was from the engine I chose. I used a YS 1.10 and it was way too much power and weight. Well, maybe not power but weight. A good 60 two stroke would have been just fine but it did go straight up.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Hab

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Good, I have never seen anyone asking for plans and templates for the MW kit but I have had people ask me for templates of parts they were missing. At that time I still had them on hand, not any longer though. My Hots got flown as much as my Kaos and it was still going strong until I had a serious brain fart. All operator problems. Maybe a senior moment?? Either way it was my bad.
Are you guys familiar with SeeTemp ? http://seetemp.com/ Great for tracing and making templates.

Last edited by Hab; 04-30-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Gray Beard

Yes, I still have a sheet or two left but the way I build I find it easier to just trace the parts on paper unless I plan on cutting a lot of kits. I used it for the wing ribs on the Up-Roar wing ribs.
I had all the paper templates for the Bridi Dirty Birdi and am almost finished cutting two kits for a friend and I. I usually save them but this will be my last build of this plane so I tossed the used templates. I may or may not have saved the templates for the Up-Roar?? The kit comes up on sale pretty often for about $40.00 so other then wood selection there really wasn't any reason for me to cut my own kit. I cut all my own wood from blocks too and I was just trying to see how light I could make the plane without making a lot of mods.
If you look at Rick Stubbs thread on the Roar you will see how he and I both went about it to make the same plane. They all came out very light and fly beyond great. I forgot how much fun just flying can be. The little Roar puts the fun back into it. It's also a really fast and easy kit to build just like the Hots. They were both designed to be over night builds. Born to die planes!!!