Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest super hots 60 build manual?P

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest super hots 60 build manual?P

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM
MiZer1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest super hots 60 build manual?P

Hello,

first post over here!

my wife acquired this at a thrift store for next to nothing.

kit seems complete, plans are included as is all the hardware. However, it is missing the handy dandy building manual.

does anyone have a build manual avaialble?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kit number 157, I have them. PM me your address and I will try to mail them tomorrow for you.
Gene
Old 09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
MiZer1981

Pm incoming, thanks so much!!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Gray Beard

OK, everything is labeled and will be sent out tomorrow. One big request I will ask of you. Go get some butcher paper or something on that order. As you remove every die cut part trace them on the paper with a good dark pen. Save the plans and instruction book so when you see someone here on RCU requesting this kit you can get a copy made for them. This is how we keep these old kits alive for the future. Plans can be had all day long from several plans services but not for the Mid West kit.This is really a simple kit to cut yourself. I even write in the templates the wood type and size. The old fun fly planes are really an easy build and we don't see a lot of them these days.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 PM
MiZer1981

You are too kind, can't express how thankful I am for helping me out like this.

I will trace the parts for sure and label like requested. It's the least I can do.

I have access to large format scanners at my office, and would not be hard to have a digitized copy of the plans, tracings and manual saved for posterity.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Gray Beard

Just dawned on me, your new to RCU, welcome!! You will find most of the guys that can help out will, it's a good bunch of people and always willing to help. My next build will be from plans one of the members sent me a while ago and I'm just getting back in the mood to be building again. I'm building another fun fly plane right now myself from plans a friend brought me when he came for a visit. That's another thing, we like to meet each other when we can. I'm lucky to now be in the Vegas area, a lot of the guys come to town and we hook up. Lots of places to fly here.
Gene
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM
MiZer1981

Thanks for the welcome! And what an amazing welcome its been.

I've only been living here a couple years, and haven't checked out the local club yet. Did meet a couple guys flying at the park this past weekend and they were great. One fellow helped me out with a couple props for my newly constructed plane so I could get it airborne! Not sure if they were members here tho.

These are my two rc planes. Both built from plans.

have some ff models but did not have a lot of success getting them to fly well, rc is more for me since I have some control once it leaves my hands!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Gray Beard

My first RC plane was also a two channel 1/2A, the little Cub. Whenever I come across a 1/2A kit these days I convert them to electric. Really a lot of fun, only one bad flyer so far.The Ultimate bipe by ACE. There is a big club someplace outside of Tacoma, not sure where, my nephew was a member. Seen a lot of photos and it looked really good.
As a kid in the 50s there was a kids TV show on every day, Stan Borason hosted it, a lot of Popeye cartoons. His buddy and guest host was a Hydroplane pilot and owned a really nice hobby shop in Tacoma. At that time tether boats were really popular and he had a nice selection. I had built a couple of the Miss Thriftway boats, 1/2A. I would love to be able to get my hands on another kit so if your wife ever runs into one think of me. They were really a hoot.
That stick looks like it would be a gas to fly. I used the Tee Dee engines and used hotel shampoo bottles to make bigger tanks for longer flight time. I still have a couple of engines I'm holding onto just in case. Never know when you may need one.
Before I moved here I had a friend that had a big copy machine in his office too and he made me copies of plans. I never had any put onto disc though or I would have had a huge selection to share. Kits we no longer have a lot of but plans still has a great selection.
I really like that little stick!!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Gray Beard

Mailed.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM
MiZer1981

Thanks so much! I look forward to seeing them!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Gray Beard

I got the info from my sister about that nice club. It's at Phiffer field on Harts Lake, the Mt Rainier club. My nephew flew there until he was 18 and he had to buy in and pay dues. Really looks like a good place.
The instructions are like the new ones you get from SIG and Great Planes with step by step photos. I keep looking at the photo of your little stick, I don't know why but I just really like that little plane. I have built a few sticks but that one just impresses me for some reason?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:43 PM
MiZer1981

Ah. That's a good 3 hours away from me. shame it's a nice area!

Going to join the local club. Has a nice field apparently and will be nice to fly at a field without being at the mercy of soccer tournaments. Sadly they don't welcome airplanes without mufflers so that nixes my cox models.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Gray Beard

Check with them on that. There were a few 1/2As with mufflers way back when but they never caught on, I think I have one someplace? 1/2A may not be a problem when we are talking TD engines. I'm betting they are talking standard RC engines.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM
MiZer1981

Good point! I can get a muffler for my .049, but not for my .010 or .020s.

Ill send an email and inquire!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 PM
MiZer1981

Got the book today! Thanks again.

spent the the afternoon tracing the die cut parts. Just the fuse sides left to trace. Didn't have a big enough piece of paper for them!

once that's done I'll get it scanned with the plans and have then available for anyone who wants it.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Gray Beard

Good, I have never seen anyone asking for plans and templates for the MW kit but I have had people ask me for templates of parts they were missing. At that time I still had them on hand, not any longer though. My Hots got flown as much as my Kaos and it was still going strong until I had a serious brain fart. All operator problems. Maybe a senior moment?? Either way it was my bad.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Gray Beard

I just had a thought and thought I would run it past you. Last year I built my first float plane, two of them at the same time. I still have the plans for the floats. I went to a big float fly over at lake Havasu and there was a MW Hots set up with the same engine as I had. It really makes a good float plane and you have so much open water in your area. I have to go to Kinko's this week to get a copy of a fuse, if you would like a copy of a good set of floats it isn't any trouble.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
MiZer1981

Sounds pretty cool, I'd like that.

My my first time seeing an rc plane was at Harrison hot springs in British columbia. They were flying these huge (I was 7 or 8 so huge to me) float planes. One of the guys flying was kind enough to bring me into the pit and show me his plane. I even got a dinged up wooden prop out of the deal! Amazed me how they could land on water without a single mishap.

Will be be a while before I have to guts to fly over water but when the time is right it would be a blast!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
MiZer1981

Whew. This took most of the afternoon, but needed to take inventory of the parts to ensure they were all there.

all that's missing is a single aileron push rod, threaded at one end and about 6 inches long. 30 cents at the lhs so I'll say this bad boy is ready for building. I think I'll save it for the winter and watch the show fall out my window while building.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard

My first flight last year off of water made my knees knock just like my first solo. I was surprised at how easy it was. The biggest surprise was the plane lifted from the water as well as from land and the plane didn't fly any differently. I had a bunch of help on getting it set up from guys on RCU, some really good info and some not so good. We have only one place to fly from water here and not a lot of the guys do it. I'm going to build a cool little park type flyer kit from Hobby King next year just for floats, really small and electric.
I think it was my Hots I built during a snow storm, I didn't know it could snow that heavy in Vegas but every couple years we get a good snow fall. Other then that we don't get much of a winter, a freeze for a couple weeks then it's over. Fun seeing tourists come to town with nothing but shorts and summer clothing during a winter snow fall. The news always sends a camera crew over to the Welcome to Vegas sign to film them. Tall Humor!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!

Thanks for posting them to Outerzone so we all can enjoy them.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6021
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM
MiZer1981

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
My first flight last year off of water made my knees knock just like my first solo. I was surprised at how easy it was. The biggest surprise was the plane lifted from the water as well as from land and the plane didn't fly any differently. I had a bunch of help on getting it set up from guys on RCU, some really good info and some not so good. We have only one place to fly from water here and not a lot of the guys do it. I'm going to build a cool little park type flyer kit from Hobby King next year just for floats, really small and electric.
I think it was my Hots I built during a snow storm, I didn't know it could snow that heavy in Vegas but every couple years we get a good snow fall. Other then that we don't get much of a winter, a freeze for a couple weeks then it's over. Fun seeing tourists come to town with nothing but shorts and summer clothing during a winter snow fall. The news always sends a camera crew over to the Welcome to Vegas sign to film them. Tall Humor!!
I always pictured the water keeping the plane stuck down and having difficulty lifting off. And the fear of dropping it in the drink.
we get a good amount of snow up here some winters, so I am really hoping for a good storm or two so I can build and enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
Awesome!

Thanks for posting them to Outerzone so we all can enjoy them.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6021
Someone else posted them up there, a bit sad I didn't get credit for the scanning and tracing but in the end, its available for anyone now and thats what matters.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Gray Beard

I spent a lot of time bending wire for the gear legs and getting the step on the floats as close as I could to the CG. The most important thing I found was getting the plane and float incidence set correctly. I had built a Cub for a friend and he over powered it thinking power would over ride any set up errors with the floats. WRONG!!! That plane was so stuck to the water it never did lift off. The float step and incidence is really important.
My old building partner is in NY and he decided to use ski's and floats to fly from snot during the winter. He really enjoyed it a bunch.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Defenderdan

My fiancé is going out of town for two weeks, and this morning I thought about how much fun I used to have building and flying these Super Hots planes. I learned today that they're impossible to find, so I downloaded the plans from the above links. Congrats on obtaining the kit! I'm going to start scratch building one this week, I've just got to improvise with the landing gear and other hardware.

Edit: I just noticed that the hand drawn sheets don't have a scale. Should they print out at the correct scale?

Last edited by Defenderdan; 10-12-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM
MiZer1981

If you need any pictures of any parts let me know. I still haven't started on the kit.

picked up a hanger 9, 58" mustang on the weekend for basically free so I'm cleaning that guy up instead of building this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.