Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What to build for my G62?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What to build for my G62?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to build for my G62?

Longtime lurker here, getting back into modeling after a hiatus. I have a Ralph Cunningham G62 Lite sitting in a box and it needs something to fly. I want something that is scale(ish), but it doesn't have to be perfect and I don't want super intricate construction just for the sake of scale fidelity. Sport scale is just fine for my purposes. Either plans or kit are OK if I can buy accessories like the cowl and canopy. I want it to be at least sport aerobatic, easy to fly off grass and somewhat overpowered as scale models go. I want the G62 to be more than enough power, but the model has to be able to carry that boat anchor of an engine without a crazy high wing loading. I was thinking of these sorts of planes:

Clipped Wing Cub
Taylorcraft (preferably clipped)
Swick Taylorcraft
Monocoupe 110
Weeks Special
Challenger III
Pitts S1 or S2
Bucker Jungmeister
Ultimate
Waco YMF (definitely sport scale for this one, way too intricate otherwise)

My two favorites are the Monocoupe and the Bucker, followed closely by the Swick Taylorcraft. I know Wendell Hostetler has plans for a Bucker, but it seems a bit large for the G62 with a 77" span and claimed weight of 22+lbs. We all know how those claimed weights tend to balloon in the real world. Am I wrong on that assumption? Either of the Miles Reed plans (the Weeks Special or Challenger III) would be perfect but they don't seem to be available any longer.

Any other plans sources or kits that I have missed?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many Ziroli airframes are designed around the G-62. Most are military, with the exception of the Spirit of St Louis.

The Hostetler Fairchild 24 and Luscombe Silvaire will both fly easily on a G-62, as will the Cessna 195.

Nigel Tarvin has a great Monocoupe that will fly on your engine, too. http://www.tarvinmodelproducts.com/p...d_special.html
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM
mmattockx

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Nigel Tarvin has a great Monocoupe that will fly on your engine, too. http://www.tarvinmodelproducts.com/p...d_special.html
That looks very nice, thanks for the lead.

Mark
Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen two of the Monocoupes built to scale with the G-62 and they are really a beauty. Last plane I used my 62 in was a 35% Extra. Hardly sounds like anything you would want.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I'm just finishing Tarvin's Monocoupe 110 special,clipped wing,I'm hoping to fly it this weekend.It's going to be a brute,I have a 100cc twin for power.I scratched built mine,he advertises a kit,but Nigel said the kit is hard to come by.jeffo
Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
mmattockx

Originally Posted by jeffo
I'm just finishing Tarvin's Monocoupe 110 special,clipped wing,I'm hoping to fly it this weekend.It's going to be a brute,I have a 100cc twin for power.I scratched built mine,he advertises a kit,but Nigel said the kit is hard to come by.jeffo
Pictures? Weight? How were the plans?

Mark
Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I'll hope to get pics and weight this weekend,still doing final ass'y,and I want out door pics.The plans are your basic stick built fuse with formers and sheeting.The wing is a flat bottom airfoil,sheeted leading and trailing edge with capstrips.The hardest part for me was the windshield.He shows a couple of options how to build the wing,plug in the fuse,or bolt on top.The fiberglass parts were decent.I bought the L.G. fairings,but did not use them.Jeffo
Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 PM
ARUP

Get Nigel's Monocoupe! My second choice would be to scratch build a Luscombe Phantom. You never, ever, never, not no where, not no how, ever... never, ever see one of those! But you better hurry 'cause I've started plans for one!