Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Old 10-23-2014, 01:59 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ON the ARF, I felt that the cabin are bulheads were flimsy. I reinforced them with lite ply. I'll see what they are like in the kit version.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by EJWash1
To my advantage, we're in a somewhat wooded area. I have a chance of escape if I run-away in a serpentine fashion.
But it also gives her a better chance of stashing the body and telling everyone you are on an extended business trip!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
But it also gives her a better chance of stashing the body and telling everyone you are on an extended business trip!
Good point. I guess I'll stick with our home renovation schedule!

Hey Tom,

I see from the Sr.'s set-up spec sheet that each wing panel has 3-degrees of dihedral. I couldn't find what the ARF sports. I'd say that if you want some "hand's-off" stability, maybe half (1.5-degrees) will do ya. If you want more of a hot rod, consider no dihedral, and maybe cropping-out a couple of wing bays. Hey, a Clipped-wing Kadet Sr.!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM
TomCrump

Good point. I guess I'll stick with our home renovation schedule!

Hey Tom,

I see from the Sr.'s set-up spec sheet that each wing panel has 3-degrees of dihedral. I couldn't find what the ARF sports. I'd say that if you want some "hand's-off" stability, maybe half (1.5-degrees) will do ya. If you want more of a hot rod, consider no dihedral, and maybe cropping-out a couple of wing bays. Hey, a Clipped-wing Kadet Sr.!
I opted for hot rod, EJ. I went with no dihedral.

I made hardwood wing joiners that fit between the front and rear spars. This necessitated removal of some balsa from the ribs. A few ribs broke, so they have been temporarily removed....

The hardwood joiners were glued in place, and lite ply (Here"s the first cartoon wood appearance) sheer webs were installed

I'll reinstall the missing rib pieces tomorrow, after I add lite ply sheer webs to the other side of the spars.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	2041877   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_002.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	2041878   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_003.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	2041879   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_004.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	2041880   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_005.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	2041881   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	2041882  

Last edited by TomCrump; 10-23-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
TomCrump

Temps were in the mid 50s this afternoon. Five of us me for a few hours of flying.

I got in 3 good flights on my Rascal 72. A large T-Clips provided a friend with several great flights, and a Kadet Senior Sport flew several times, too.

It was nice to get in some flying with nice weather.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Is that red oak Joiners? Looks great!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
EJWash1

"If It Ain't Got Cartoon Wood, It Ain't CRUMP!"

(Yes, you may use that! LOL!)

Looks good, Tom.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:37 PM
TomCrump

Thanks, guys !

I don't know if it was the best choice, but the oak is what I had.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
SigSenior

Tom, regarding wing attachment, I too am interested in seeing what you end up doing with the arrangement. Not just inside the cabin, but also placement and reinforcement of the two dowels in the wing's leading edge (or this may be where the "hook" will go instead of dowels) if that's the route.
I'm glad these threads remain as a reference as I'm going to be a bit delayed on starting my build. Wife has me covering our pool for winter use - using half inch pvc to make an arch over the whole thing, using tyvec house wrap to cover and attaching with zip ties. My airframe building skills are really coming in handy on this home project because it's all about structure - needs to be strong and light - then covering added - just like an airframe! Should work out well. Thanks again, Tom, for doing this informative thread!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:44 PM
TomCrump

SS; Thanks for the kind words.

This is a learn as I go project. I just see what needs to be done, and I do it. I'm following the instructions, to some extent. The sequence, if not the actual methods.
I'm having fun, doing the thread. I appreciate the support it has received.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom Crump,

Good to see another Senior Kadet build starting. When I built my S. Kadet , there were no a.r.f. versions out there. I didn't like the ideal of rubber bands for the wings and so I modified mine to be a bolt on. I used 1/8th" birch 5ply to beef up the cabin area. I felt the poplar lite ply didn't offer enough strength to hand the flight loads.

I too built my S Kadet as a tail dragger because I had seen too many times the trike version tip over onto its nose and wing tip. I found the Four Star 120 aluminum landing gear to fit just right. The 4 S. landing gear was also a bit wider which added to its stability.

I wanted to clean up the front end a bit and so I just blocked in the nose with balsa and faired it into a 2.5" True Turn spinner.

Lastly I wanted to make my S Kadet capable of flying at night so I added lights to the internals and covered my plane with transparent Super MonoKote to allow the lights to show though easily.

I powered the Kadet with an O.S. 61FS and it has more than enough power for a great flyer.

Good Luck with your project and post lots of pictures!

Carlos G

P.S., You can see my Kadet in the Kadet Brotherhood thread, ( Page 14, about half way down) just slighty ahead of my membership #

Last edited by Carlos G; 10-23-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 AM
TomCrump

Thanks for joining in, Carlos.

I appreciate you comments.

If you have pics of your wing mounting system, I'd like to see them.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM
box car

Hi Tom, glad you are doing a build , not many going on these days. If I was doing a sport plane I think I would cut 1 or 2 bays off each wing. Back in the late 80s I did a tower trainer 60, made it a tail dragger and cut 2 bays out of each wing. I put a ST 90 on it and added a lot more rubber bands to the wing, it ended up being one of the best flying planes I ever had, they are a lot of fun.
Ken
Old 10-24-2014, 12:35 PM
TomCrump

Thanks for looking in, Ken.

I've been looking at clipping the wings. EJ had suggested it to me, too. Two bays would drop me into the high 60" range for span. I'm not comfortable with that. I'm considering knocking off one, bay. That'll lose about 5", or so.

I had company, and didn't get pics, but I finished the lite ply sheer webs today. I also installed the ply rear wing mounts. The missing inner ribs were installed, too.

I hope to finish the balsa sheer webs tomorrow. I'll need to start fuselage construction, then, as I need the fuselage to help me visualize a wing mounting system.

Even without the balsa sheer webs, I can feel that this will be a strudy wing. The hardwood joiners, and lite ply webbing, really stiffen things up.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:18 PM
TomCrump

Here are the pics of the finished lite ply center sheer webs, You may also notice the ply wing bolt mounts.

Th two center ribs are glued together, This is a mod from the pland, as they are not glued in at an angle. The angles isn't necessary, as there is no dihedral.

The middle ribs were then cap stripped. This was done to bring them to the same height as the rest of the ribs. Later, I will sheet the center section an extra bay, over stock. The wing leading edge will be sheeted, so the ribs will need to be cap stripped to bring them to the same height.. This will happen later.

Views:	465
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	2041958   Click image for larger version

Views:	458
Size:	618.9 KB
ID:	2041959  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 PM
EJWash1

I take it that the rib spacing is 2+"? What is the rib spacing? If you do decide to shorten the span, keep your ailerons the same length as on the Sport. You also have the freedom to shorten the spacing of the most outer rib to the tip rib if you're uncomfortable with shortening the wing a full two ribs.

I think you're gonna like the Clipped Wing, tail-dragger (Crump Cartoon Wood) Kadet Sr.!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:38 AM
TomCrump

Aesthetics are my main concern, in clipping the wings, EJ. I was happy with the way my full winged ARF performed.

It would be easy enough to move the ailerons in, one bay, if I decide to clip the wing.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Carlos G

Hi TomC ,

Here is a picture of the fuselage to rear wing attach point. It is made up from two layers of 1/8 th birch 5ply . I will try and get some pics of the front of the fuselage and wing here shortly.

I hope this helps out. The plate is recessed slightly to clear the wing's dihedral. Because the of the light wing loading I used 10-32 bolts which are more than enough for this plane. Loops, rolls, stall turns, inverted are no problem.

Carlos G

Last edited by Carlos G; 10-25-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 AM
TomCrump

This morning, I finished the sheer web installation.

I weighted the wing down, to keep it flat. The balsa sheer webbing, as per the plans, was installed to both the front and rear spars.

I then added balsa scrap to fill in the area above the ply wing bolt mounts. The bals will be saturated in thin CA, after sanding. This should provide a tough enough surface to insure that the wing bolts do not crush the wing.

]I just got all call. I'm going flying !

Views:	440
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	2042105   Click image for larger version

Views:	441
Size:	689.1 KB
ID:	2042106   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_003.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	2042107  
Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 AM
EJWash1

The wing looks sharp Tom!

You know how it creeps me out when you place model parts on your chair to take pics. Now you place a can of gasoline on top of the wing? Gee, thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM
EJWash1

BTW Tom, Not sure if you've seen the Sr.'s spec sheet on the Sig website.

FWIW.

Name:	Sig Kadet Sr Specs.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2042124  
Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM
TomCrump

Thanks for the pic, Carlos !. I somehow missed it when I posted this morning.

The rear mounts are what I anticipated.

I've come up with an idea for the front mount, but I'd like to see what you have up front, when you get the chance.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 PM
TomCrump

The wing looks sharp Tom!

You know how it creeps me out when you place model parts on your chair to take pics. Now you place a can of gasoline on top of the wing? Gee, thanks!
Anything to oblige, EJ. That gas can made a good weight !

After flying, I worked on my Vega, so no progress was made of the Kadet.

I did pull it from the board, and get a pic of the wing.

I'll include a pic of my Vega, too.

Name:	m_004.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	769.2 KB
ID:	2042138   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	2042139  
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Carlos G

Hi Tom C ,

Here are a few more Pics of the wing attachment points.

Rear wing hold down bolt plate

Leading edge dowel pins
Old 10-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Carlos G

Here are the last two Pics of the fuselage...

Top of cabin where wing plugs in

Side view looking into cabin showing 1/8 th" birch ply wing leading edge hold down, it is the black painted vertical bit in front of the spruce and balsa vertical front cabin brace. It goes up and over across the top of the fuselage and down to the other cabin brace. The wing leading edge butts up against it where the wing leading edge hold down dowels plug into. The actual ply piece looks a bit like an inverted " U".

Hope this helps out

Carlos G

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.