Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

She helps me retain what little sanity I have left.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
She helps me retain what little sanity I have left.
You have sanity left?! You're ahead of the curve and me!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So between watching you build this, and one of my flying buddies who always flies his senior sport, I think my arm has been twisted enough. That coupled with the fact that I have a couple of ideal power plants just sitting around. I've got an OS 91 Surpass, or an Enya 80 4C. The price is great too. And I enjoy SIG kits as well. I want the power of the 91, but am leaning towards the Enya. Such a great lil engine.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM
TomCrump

I'm putting a Magnum .91 four stroke in this. It's fairly new, and just coming into it's own.

I have a .91 Surpass as a spare.

For the ARF Sport. the Magnum was too much. It'll be fine in this version, because of the added weight built in by the reinforcements.

Even with the added weight, I expect this model to fly well. I like to putt around with occasional bursts of power doing huge loops, etc.

The tail dragger aspect adds to the fun.

You'd enjoy the Kadet with either engine, I'm sure. Would you modify it into a Sport ?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Checking back in again Tom, From the library. No internet yet from my mothers,Hoping maybe monday or Tuesday on that.
It was a safe and NOT exciting trip. My kind of trip. Only issue I had was my asthma the at the first high altitude climb. Lost count of how many time I had to hit the rescue inhaler. Then we spent the night in Flagstaff at 6000 feet, and the next pass did not even phase the slightest. I guess The night gave my body a chance to acclimate.
Got in to Modesto noon Thursday, and the truck offloaded Friday. Now starting to relearn my way around and figure out all of the changes.
Found the local hobby shop (only 1 of 2 surviving) I used to go to in my teens and early 20's. OMG. They dare call that a hobby shop for us airplane type guys? My last visit.
I will just drive the 90 minutes to the hobby shop in Sacramento. Mail order is my friend.

BAck on subject. I used rubber bands when I first built my SR. And the maybe 12 years or so later I stripped the entire plane, redid all of the control linkages,installed dual aileron servos. And threw the rubber bands as far away as I could fling them.
My rear hold down is similar to others that have posted pics and yours. For the front I used to arrow shafts with dowels epoxied inside of them.
For the fuse front hold down I used some 1/8" carbon fibre plate I had and ran a narrow piece all the all down to the bottom and anchored it to the ply landing gear. At the top it was bigger and I added a ply doubler to give the arrow shafts more meat to anchor in. I was concerned the carbon plate would wear through the shafts.

Check back next week

Ken
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM
stevegauth30

Good to hear from you Ken. Glad all is well. Would I modify it into a sport? Is that a real question? Heck, I was thinking about adding retracts. Lol. Yeah, definitely. I'm not sure if the tail dragged set up is part of what makes it a sport, but I've never built, or flown a tri-gear plane, and not about to start. I'm a tail dragging guy through and through. Also, this will be my very first trainer type plane, unless you consider Cubs trainers. I guess you would, huh? Soon, I'll be able to order the kit and probably end up doing like you and just building two at a time again, even though I just got on track with one at a time. Oh well. That didn't last long. Lol.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Talle is a great shop-mate for you Tom. So far, all I have are four young deer that come by to eat and lounge around. They don't give me any input at all.

Speaking of deer (and other newborns that struggle to stand right off the bat) it's always a grand site to see our models up on their main landing gear. Congrats.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 PM
TomCrump

I'm glad that you had a safe trip, Ken. Thanks for the input on your Kadet.

Steve

For me, modifying a trike geared trainer into a tail dragger, changes my attitude towards the model. Adding wheel pants adds to this impression.

I tend to fly tail dragger, wheel panted, trainers in a much more agressive manner. Loops, rolls, stall turns are the same with either version, but I tend not to do them when flying stock trainers.

EJ, When the deer lay down, and fall asleep in your shop, then you'll know that you have building buddies. Let us know when that occurs. LOL

The tail section is the plan for today. Lots of cutting an fitting.

Just my cup of tea !
Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 AM
stevegauth30

I not really looking at it as a trainer. More like a high wing sport. I have a big box full of never been used wheel pants that I picked up as part of an estate buy. One of them will look good on this one. What do you think about adding flaps? I know there's absolutely no need, but I think it would be kind of cool.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 AM
TomCrump

Ya, I'm looking at mine as a high wing sport model, too.

I plan to make my ailerons long, so it doesn't leave much room for flaps. They'd be easy enough to add, though.

My ailerons will be similar in length to the Sport ARF.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_003.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2043282  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build Tom ! I was going to cut in some flaps on my old KS just for some fun but it does not need them thats for sure. Here is my building partner scruff . joe

Name:	the scruffster.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2043321  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here are my two build supervisors, Millie is the Yellow Lab trapped in the Chocolate body and Julia, AKA Wigglebutt, is the boxer/Beagle mix

Name:	My Supervisors.JPG
Views:	1275
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2043360  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM
TomCrump

Thanks, Joe.

Scruff looks like a builder !

Talle had a friend stop by. A guy dog, no less. LOL His human brought over a cowl from a T-Clips, to see if it would fit the Kadet. It was close, but no cigar.

I'll look at a Kadet Sport cowl next, but I'm sure that it will fit.

I buil;t the tail section today. The only mod was to add large ply mounts for the rudder and elevator control horns. The suggested sizes were too small, in my opinion.

As you can see in the pics, Talle was adding her usual encouragement.

Name:	m_002.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	2043361   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_004.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	2043362   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_005.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	2043363   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_007.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	669.1 KB
ID:	2043364   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_009.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	749.9 KB
ID:	2043365   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	2043366  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

The tail feathers look great, Tom. Talle supervises good work, and in such a relaxed state!

I think that I can see that the rudder, and possibly elevator, are tapered. Is that per the plans, or another mod?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

Tom, what are the dimensions of your firewall? Looking at it I thought the 1/5 scale Cub cowling (without the cheeks) might fit. I could measure the cowling on my Cub and tell you.

Mike
Old 10-30-2014, 12:20 PM
TomCrump

Thanks, guys !

EJ, The rudder and elevatiors are built per plans. I did round the tips, however. They are tapered. The kit inclueded die cut ribs for these surfaces.

Mike, The Cowl measures approx 5"Wide X 5,5" in heigth. The T-Clips cowl tucks in at the firewall bottom. I would have had to mod the fuelage during contruction to accept it.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice growlers Mike and Tom my scruff keeps me sane most every day :-) joe
Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Here are my two build supervisors, Millie is the Yellow Lab trapped in the Chocolate body and Julia, AKA Wigglebutt, is the boxer/Beagle mix

Sorry, Mike. I somehow missed the dog pics. They're beautes ! I bet they keep you busy.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Thanks, guys !

EJ, The rudder and elevatiors are built per plans. I did round the tips, however. They are tapered. The kit inclueded die cut ribs for these surfaces.

Mike, The Cowl measures approx 5"Wide X 5,5" in heigth. The T-Clips cowl tucks in at the firewall bottom. I would have had to mod the fuelage during contruction to accept it.
That matches the measurements and the rear most edge of the SIG 1/5 scale Cub cowling. The cowling tapers slightly as you go forward and the overall length is 5 1/2". On the Cub it slides over the forward part of the fuselage and is screwed to the sides. Before I would purchase one though I think I would get a measurement from Fiberglass Specialties for their cowling for the same airplane.

Mike
Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM
TomCrump

Thanks, Mike.

I'm gong more for a Cessna look. I'll look at the Kadet Sprts cowl, which should fit.

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2043445  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:41 PM
box car

Will I could not stand it any longer I put my order in today. I will be doing most of what Tom has done. I will square off the wing tips and add flaps per say but not real flaps, they will be tied into the elevator control. Elevator up flaps go down, elevator down flaps go up.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 PM
stevegauth30

Look at what your doing Tom. Your gonna have half a dozen of us building seniors before you finish yours. Yeah, maybe I'll just stick with the long ailerons. Who knows. Figure that out when I get there. I'm unfortunately without a dog for the first time in over 20 years as of a few months ago. Had a beautiful St. Bernard. She lived to be 15 which is unheard of for that breed. Sorry, computer with all the pics is packed and at the new place. Speaking of, three more days here, then Sunday is uhaul day and sleep at the new house. Soon, I'll have a new pup.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 AM
TomCrump

Steve, Sorry to hear about your dog. I had a St Bernard years ago. They are an excellent companion .

Ken, I'm glad that you pulled the trigger. If you start construction soon, feel free to post your progress here.

The control line setup on the flaps is interesting. Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind this decision ?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:55 AM
box car

You are right Tom, its from the old control line days. I have always wanted to try it out on an RC plane to see how it works out, this will be the one.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by box car
You are right Tom, its from the old control line days. I have always wanted to try it out on an RC plane to see how it works out, this will be the one.
As I remember, the idea is to smooth out manuevers. CL models are close coupled and sometimes they needed help to make them less eratic in flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.