Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Built Kadet Senior Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:10 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did intend to maden the Kadet, so I assembled her and performed a range check.

I took pics, too.

Notice that the ailerons are huge. This suits my flying style which is slow. The enlarged ailerons will permit control during slow flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	761.4 KB
ID:	2089906   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_002.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	741.0 KB
ID:	2089907   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_010.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1,009.2 KB
ID:	2089908   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_014.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	2089909   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_015.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	832.3 KB
ID:	2089910   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_016.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	813.7 KB
ID:	2089911  

Last edited by TomCrump; 04-17-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Are you saying you maidened it? She looks great Tom.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:41 PM
TomCrump

I edited the post, Steve. It may make some sense, now.

I maidened the 4-40, but not the Kadet.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats to Ed & Tom for the maidens!! Well done guys!

Tom, that Sr looks GREAT! Should be a trip at super slow speeds.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 PM
stevegauth30

Gotcha. great job on the maidens boys. Tom, im sure your Senior will fly just as well.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:15 AM
TomCrump

Thanks guys.

I'll post the results of the Kadet's maiden, when it happens.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:18 AM
adreliable661
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job guys! Thanks for the pics
Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Third pic from the left sums it up, Tom. You were aiming for Golden Age, and you nailed it!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:09 PM
David2011
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What attracts me to the Senior Kadet is the open stick construction its like returning to our modeling roots, stick built is the method used in all the old timer designs I keep looking at but with a modern twist.
Sorry to have found this thread so late. I'm restoring/ revamping a Kadet Senior I've had for over 20 years and I'm the second owner. I converted it to conventional gear and has new MonoKote since the original was not only hideous but unattractive, ugly and brittle as well. I added 2 Cub-like stringers down the fuse sides and one down the center of the top of the fise to give it some shape. The weight gain was about 60" of 3/16 square and about 20" of 1/2 square balsa on a 7 pound 82" (modified wingtips) plane. Totally insignificant weight gain. The new scheme is Coast Guard-esq white with orange and black trim.

I'm approaching retirement age and have been building flying airplanes since the '60s including 1/2a Sterling C/L kits and several Guillows models.. I LOVE stick built airplanes. IMO most large RC airplanes weigh far more than necessary. Once upon a time as an adult I worked at an FBO that taught aerobatics and realize that real airplanes and stick built models have much in common. I've restored a full scale Citabria and a Stearman and worked on many tube and fabric planes. Worked on a couple of airplanes that were flown at the IAC Worlds. Still, I prefer flying RC to getting in the airplane.

I really feel sorry for the masses today that only want to fly BARFs because they have no idea how it feels to create an aircraft with their own hands and fly it. The only construction as good as stick is home brew monocoque composite. Everything else is wannabe and inferior due to the weight gains and inferior strength to weight. Just my opinion. Kudos to those that see how good stick construction really is!

David
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been building model since 1958. My first was the Sterling Ring Master powered with a McCoy .35 glow engine. I've been building ever since. Of all the planes I own, only two are Barfs. Only because I got them at a ridicules low price. A few of my planes are over 40 years old.
I have gotten a couple of club members to try to build their first kits. Now they are hooked. All I hear from them is what a great time they are having building their latest plane.

It's really true, once you build your own plane, you become hooked on the building part. Second comes the thrill of flying what your two hand built.

What I hate to see are the "Build" posts when they are actually only assembling something that was "built" on an assembly line in China. They should change their post to " Assembly Thread".

Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 AM
stevegauth30

i know what you mean. I hate when i hear guys at the field talking about " the kit there building". and when you perk up your ears and ask what kit just for them to reply " a Hanger 9 something or another. "One thing i like about the BARF age is that while everyone else flies the same few planes, we always show up with something completely unique. Im not totally against BARFs, If it werent for them, my club would be like 3 or 4 members instead of 150. And like Frank said, Ill even buy one now and again if its a crazy bargain. But i totally perfer to glue sticks together into the shape of an airplane.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:55 AM
TomCrump

With today's plug n play crap, I've read about "Builder's ARFs". What the heck is a builder's ARF ???
Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 AM
stevegauth30

Builders arf? What the heck is that? Kind of an oxy moron. If you call gluing in ca hinges building.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 AM
TomCrump

He may have been referring to the fact that he would actually have to assemble a few pre built parts, and install the radio gear.

People want different things out of our hobby, I guess. There's nothiong wromg with that.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM
stevegauth30

I dont knock ARFers. They make up the majority of the RC community. To each his own.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

My oldest daughter is a Studio Artist (painter). She is an Associate Professor at a major art museum. Some of her artwork has been displayed in several studios, New York, Chicago, and Mexico included. Me? I botch the simplest paint-by-number portraits, which my daughter laughs at - naturally.

We all have our talents, and disciplines. If a guy want to just fly, so be it. Maybe, for some, assembling an ARF is a stretch of their talents. And, maybe some day, they'll say to themselves, "hey, if I can assemble this ARF, maybe I can tackle a box-o-lumber!" Who knows.

It's a hobby, so it should be all about the fun, right?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 AM
stevegauth30

Well said.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 AM
TomCrump

Speaking of ARFs, I think my Kadet Sport Arf is ready to maiden.

I bound and programmed the radio, today. I need to check balance, but other than that, she should be ready.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
countilaw

I have found that the guys that just like to fly, usually don't last long in the hobby. Once the challenge of flying a plane is satisfied, they lose interest and move on to something else. That is how I got my two barfs soooooo cheap. Both were new the box and a real steal. The guys just lost interest in the hobby and didn't care for them. So they practically gave them away. If you watch Craig's List in your area you will find more like them there. This is one of my designs. Designed for flying fast and stable but with a walking speed for landings.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	supersweeperVenom.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2090650  
Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Ed
Senior maiden ed today 4/17/2015. Final RTF weight is a scooch under 7 pounds. Turnigy G-46, 420 KV motor, 4S 4000 mah LiPo for 10 minutes plus. I was concerned about those little 3" Golden Age wheels that I found in my junk box, but they were absolutely no problem. It exceeded all of my exportations. Thanks for all of your help here in this thread for making it happen.

Ed

Wow...that's a beauty! Wouldn't think there would be any problem with those wheels...this plane comes in so nice and gentle!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TomCrump
He may have been referring to the fact that he would actually have to assemble a few pre built parts, and install the radio gear.

People want different things out of our hobby, I guess. There's nothiong wromg with that.
No, there certainly isn't. What the hobby doesn't need is the elitism that tends to creep into conversations regarding folks who scratch build, kit build etc versus anyone else.

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
I dont knock ARFers. They make up the majority of the RC community. To each his own.
Exactly......

Originally Posted by EJWash1
My oldest daughter is a Studio Artist (painter). She is an Associate Professor at a major art museum. Some of her artwork has been displayed in several studios, New York, Chicago, and Mexico included. Me? I botch the simplest paint-by-number portraits, which my daughter laughs at - naturally.

We all have our talents, and disciplines. If a guy want to just fly, so be it. Maybe, for some, assembling an ARF is a stretch of their talents. And, maybe some day, they'll say to themselves, "hey, if I can assemble this ARF, maybe I can tackle a box-o-lumber!" Who knows.

It's a hobby, so it should be all about the fun, right?
Yes indeed...fun.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a guy who does both kit building, and ARF assembling I will try my best guess on some of this. I for one have never heard the term "builder's ARF" but maybe it applys to a "POS" low quality ARF that requires major modifications, revisions or reinforcement in order to complete and fly. When I buy and assemble an ARF I try to stay with one of the name brands, but even then sometimes some additional engineering and modifications are needed to have an acceptable finished model. Very rarely can I assemble any ARF with out doing a least a few small changes. The brand name ARF's are normally much better than the off brand ones, but not totally free of some misfitting parts and weaknesses. Actually the same can be said of kit builds. How many kits have you built that were done EXACTLY as the plans and instructions (if there were any) called for. Yes, it is much easier to make changes as you go along with a kit built plane than an ARF. With ARF's already covered you don't want to have to go inside and have to remove and then replace covering to fix or change something and that when someone with no real building skills hits a brick wall. A builder can do it but an "ARFer only" can't. If an ARFer puts enough models together over time he will learn how and where a little help (extra glue, parts fitment, reinforcement etc) is needed and some even get up the nerve and desire to try a kit build. As stated above, it's all good for the hobby. As for saying that "I built" this model, I do reserve that for kit built models being sure with ARFs to say "I assembled" or in some cases " I assembled and bashed" this model. To me there is a difference and I try to state it honestly.

Last edited by 52larry52; 04-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 PM
countilaw

I think there is a big difference in the people that show up at the field with his $500.00 ARF and the guy that shows up with his scratch built Ugly Stik. I appreciate and admire the scratch built Ugly Stik alot more than the High dollar ARF.

The guy that spends time in building his plane earns more credit than the guy that just spends big bucks.

And that isn't ELITISM, that's RESPECT !!!

Frank
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by countilaw
I have found that the guys that just like to fly, usually don't last long in the hobby. Once the challenge of flying a plane is satisfied, they lose interest and move on to something else. That is how I got my two barfs soooooo cheap. Both were new the box and a real steal. The guys just lost interest in the hobby and didn't care for them. So they practically gave them away. If you watch Craig's List in your area you will find more like them there. This is one of my designs. Designed for flying fast and stable but with a walking speed for landings.

Frank
Looks a great deal like a Jim Allen designed "Blue Max II" which was a very popular "fun-fly" airplane way back before there were "fun-fly" airplanes. The Blue Max was designed with the exact same performance requirements as your bird. They were great airpanes and a bit ahead of their time really. Your design is a beauty and looks like lots of fun.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

I don't go to the field to look down on people, or not give "respect" because their plane is scratch built or not. I go to have fun and enjoy the hobby. To each their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.