Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultimate .40??????????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultimate .40??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:05 PM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Ultimate .40??????????

I was just curious to hear any input etc. about this little biplane. I actually bought a kit several years ago but ended up selling it before ever building it. How does the plane fly? Is it good at spins, knife edge spins and tumbling maneuvers? I've heard it was pretty well behaved at slow speeds........is that true? If I ended up getting one, I'd go with an OS .55AX and try to replace heavy wood when pos. and hopefully keep it near 5.5lbs. instead of well over 6lbs. as many appear to be.

Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic plane!! Everything you hear is true. Been a while sense I built one but keeping it light helps a lot. I always built them for customers and did the Maiden flights but silly me never built one for myself.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the other Uproar guys started a thread on one of these several years ago but it fizzled out pretty quick.
I have never seen one in person. Sure looks like it would be a fun plane.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard

Hi Rick, if you ever come across the Goldberg 10-300 Ultimate grab it fast. A bit heavy but you know we can take care of that little problem!! Most of the kits I built were one of the Globergs. If you get one and built it I will give you an OS .91fs for it, good combo!! CG had several of them to choose from. I was looking at the Carl Goldberg web site and it really made me sad to see all those fantastic planes no longer being cut. CG really had a wonderful line up!!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 AM
flygilmore

Wow............so, hardly any interest in this little plane huh?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by flygilmore
??????????? Don't know what you mean, it has been the number one stunt bipe for a lot of years. If you mean the thread your going to need to start gluing before people join in.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 AM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

I have the kit (I think), but I moved on from glow some time ago, so I doubt I will build it.

I took it to a swap meet but didn't sell it (lowballers). Pretty sure I still have it but I need to lay eyes on it to confirm.

Attractive airframe for sure, build looks straight forward.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
flygilmore

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
??????????? Don't know what you mean, it has been the number one stunt bipe for a lot of years. If you mean the thread your going to need to start gluing before people join in.
What I mean is simply there is not a lot of info in the forums here or RCG about this bird and not many views/replys in this thread. I've also searched Google etc. and YouTube with very few results. BTW, I'm under the impression that you are talking about Ultimates in general from the PM you sent me. I was talking specifically about the Great Planes .40 version and you responded about the Carl Goldberg one in our second PM...........big difference! I know that it is an older design and I guess with the lack of builders now a days, most guys are wanting ARF's.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM
flygilmore

Originally Posted by impulse09
I have the kit (I think), but I moved on from glow some time ago, so I doubt I will build it.

I took it to a swap meet but didn't sell it (lowballers). Pretty sure I still have it but I need to lay eyes on it to confirm.

Attractive airframe for sure, build looks straight forward.
I sent you a PM....................thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

I have a Great Planes 40 size Ultimate and it is one of my favorite flyers. Mine has an older OS 70 Surpass and it is plenty of power to do all the things you want. The wood on the fuse sides were heavy and if I were to build another I would replace it but other than that it went together easily. I also replaced the plastic cowl with a fiberglass one and it is holding up well. Mine is built pretty much to the plans and slows down nicely for landings. I would highly recommend it to an experienced flyer . If there is one drawback to the plane it is that it is smaller than the Goldberg Ultimate and can get pretty small pretty quick if you let it get too far away.
Sam
Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Flygilmore,

Did you buy the one from Impulse09?

If you start building one I'll be here to hang out and comment as appropriate. I'd love to build one of these - but my plate is pretty full right now.
Or I should say my list is pretty full. The plate is pretty empty.

I'd put one on the same diet that I used for my uproars and stick one of the ST51's on it.

Anyway, looks like a cool plane, a little pricey compared to some but not to others...Without a doubt I would expect it to be a "GREAT PLANE" and quality kit.

If you build one here and show folks how good of a plane it is, I bet sales will go up by a kit or two.

As to not much out there on the threads.. Yeah, that’s weird. There are quite a few nice GP kits that don't have a lot of coverage in the forums..
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
flygilmore

Thanks Rick and SDM for the comments. I do hope to get a kit but funds are very short right now so it may be a while. I'll def. do a build thread when I manage to get one going.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tower does the 3 pay, I even went and looked for you, $53.99/mo, ORDER it!! Will be good to see a proper build thread on this one.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
flygilmore

Lol thanks! I'll update when I get one headed my way.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 AM
flygilmore

Ok, just hit the order button from Tower on a Great Planes Ultimate .40 kit, OS .55AX and Bisson pitts muffler. I'm really excited to get this kit underway and I really, really hope that I'm pleased with it's handling characteristics. I've been a big 3D person for a long time now and for some reason, wanting to get back to some sport flying. Hopefully, this bird will provide lots and lots of happy flights and big grins! I will try and do a build thread on her especially since there doesn't really appear to be one currently. My current plans are to run a dual aileron setup and to try and get some of the weight out of the fuse......it would be really nice if I could keep it under 6lbs. We'll see!

Thanks to the folks who have responded and encouraged. Now, I just need to finish up that 4 Star 1.20 so my focus can be on this.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Look forward to the build to begin!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Calvinman

I am looking forward to this, I almost pulled the trigger on the kit last time I was at my LHS. If it flies anything like it does in realflight 7.5 it will be my new favorite for sure!

Calvi
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM
flygilmore

I've heard lots of good things from people about it. I just love bipes anyway. I've had lots of Ultimates and they all spun and tumbled great. Hoping this one will be no different. I'll get the build under way in the near future and post a thread for it.
Maybe someone else will also get a kit and join in??????
Old 03-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Calvinman

I wish I could flygilmore, but my radio is full up, so my next move is a new radio with more model memory. I am thinking of the Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz FASST so it will jive with all my other Recievers. At least this Transmitter has a built in timer, unlike my 6 channel.

Calvi
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Ok, just hit the order button from Tower on a Great Planes Ultimate .40 kit, OS .55AX and Bisson pitts muffler. I'm really excited to get this kit underway and I really, really hope that I'm pleased with it's handling characteristics. I've been a big 3D person for a long time now and for some reason, wanting to get back to some sport flying. Hopefully, this bird will provide lots and lots of happy flights and big grins! I will try and do a build thread on her especially since there doesn't really appear to be one currently. My current plans are to run a dual aileron setup and to try and get some of the weight out of the fuse......it would be really nice if I could keep it under 6lbs. We'll see!

Thanks to the folks who have responded and encouraged. Now, I just need to finish up that 4 Star 1.20 so my focus can be on this.
SWEET!
I'll keep an eye for the start of the build...
Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Ultimate Bipe 40 with a Saito 72. I built it about 9 years ago. The build was straightforward. I did get a fiberglass aftermarket cowl for it. It is well behaved, easy to land, and its aerobatic abilities are limited mostly by my abilities. It is not a 3D airplane and won't do most 3D maneuvers well or at all. It does conventional spins well. It does knife edge flight, although I am not very good at it.

I like it a lot. My only comment is that it is small. Also, the main landing gear is weak and tends to splay.

I put it into the ground once at full throttle in a low knife edge pass that went horribly wrong. I had to dig the Saito out of the mud - it was mostly buried. The air frame had little damage and was easily repaired. It is a tough little bird.

Last edited by JPMacG; 03-29-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 AM
flygilmore

My kit and OS.55AX are supposed to arrive today so I'm looking forward to getting home from work to open the box!

I'm going to be running the Bisson pitts muffler (Tower lists it as .40fx, 46ax., .50sx .55ax) but I am worried about how well it will provide enough tank pressure. I've researched alot and some guys say that you have to pinch the muffler tubes waaaaaay down until they are slits to creat enough pressure. A couple others say that they didn't need to do this. I've also seen some GP Revolver vids on YouTube where guys were running the .55 and Bisson and their tubes were not pinched. I'm really hoping that I won't have to do that 'cause I think it will be ugly......yet, I know that a busted up plane will be even more ugly due to a flameout!!

Thoughts?????
Old 03-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Gray Beard

I have used the Bisson Pitts on a number of engines including the .46la and have never had to close up the pipes to get pressure. The Ultimate's I have built could have use Ricks diet though but they all flew well but they could have been lighter.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never been a fan of Pitts mufflers myself. You are going to want to break the engine in on a test stand anyway, so you will get a chance to see how it runs with the muffler on it before you take to the air.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
flygilmore

Yes, I'll run it in on the stock muffler and #8 plug. After some run in, I'll switch to an OS F plug and the Bisson. I've run all the .55's on the F plug and it was so much better than the #8. I plan on putting the engine in every attitude I can to see how she behaves. Hopefully all will go well!
Now, I'm off to get kids in bed and crack into my box!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.