Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Looks real good Leroy very neat and easy on the eyes. Good job!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Love watching you build Leroy, very precise. You better slow down or you will have this plane finished before the snow flies! LOL
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there Leroy....

I just picked up this partially completed Piper Super Cub PA-18-150 from a buddy who had been given it by the widow of the original builder......to say that the builder was 'into' scale building would be an understatement:

Now I just have to set aside the time to make the effort required to finish it as it was meant to be ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6995.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2047336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6997.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2047337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6998.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2047338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7005.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2047339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7008.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2047340  
Old 11-14-2014, 08:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Bill, that is a work of art! The guy was a master craftsman! What is it built out of, it looks like mahogany door skins?

Mike
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Hinckley Bill

Yes Mike it truly is.... wish there was a full scale Super Cub with transparent covering so that I could model it and show off the amazing work....

Not sure of the material....could very well be mahogany.....I know that the fuselage as it stands now is very heavy

Not sure if you could tell but the stab is actually adjustable so you can change it's pitch........was thinking about how cool setting that up with a 360 degree rotating servo might be to change the angle 'in-flight'

My biggest concern, besides finding the time to finish, is in regards to whether or not I need to go back and re-glue joints, as I'm not comfortable thinking about whether they're still strong enough to hold up after all these years. If I do re-glue not sure what glue to use either.

Plans are from Charles H. Richard (1992)....super scale
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

WOW! I have Charles Richard's quarter scale Globe Swift plans! His son Erick sells them and a beautiful fiberglass cowling to go with them. There is also a laser cut short kit available as well. You should see the custom retracts Charles designed for the Swift!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Bill, that is a work of art! The guy was a master craftsman! What is it built out of, it looks like mahogany door skins?

Mike
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Yes Mike it truly is.... wish there was a full scale Super Cub with transparent covering so that I could model it and show off the amazing work....

Not sure of the material....could very well be mahogany.....I know that the fuselage as it stands now is very heavy

Not sure if you could tell but the stab is actually adjustable so you can change it's pitch........was thinking about how cool setting that up with a 360 degree rotating servo might be to change the angle 'in-flight'

My biggest concern, besides finding the time to finish, is in regards to whether or not I need to go back and re-glue joints, as I'm not comfortable thinking about whether they're still strong enough to hold up after all these years. If I do re-glue not sure what glue to use either.

Plans are from Charles H. Richard (1992)....super scale

Yes very nice workmanship indeed!... I was thinking the same thing, looks like either mahogany, or maybe spruce... spruce darkens with age, and it looks like the original builder had been working on that for probably a good part of his retirement.

Regarding the glue, I'd go over the glue joints with some thin CA... some of the glue joints look like epoxy was used... I have a 15 year old cub, and the areas I used epoxy, are still sound, but the epoxy has darkened over the years.

That jack screw on the stab, could very easily be made functional with a servo, but watch the weight, you already have a brick there... have you considered what engine you would use?

Thanks for sharing Bill, that is a real nice piece of work you have there.

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Some of that stuff is funny but what can happen is not. Personally I think if you stick to the plan where all these things have been tested for flying before the plans and manual were even written you will be okey.

Now I have accomplished a little on the build, all the spreaders are in and they will get the gusset treatment, rear cabin former is in (after the picture) and gear mount is in, I recessed it in the bottom sides (not on the plan) and made a new one to replace the kit one. I will use the gear supports to mount the floor as was intended. Tomorrow it's on to the fire wall and chin, I'm hoping the wing tube shows up by Saturday so I can get the wing center made up and on then I can do the turtle deck. It's going pretty good considering the Tightbond waiting, you know how that goes.

Here's what I have for pictures.

Leroy

Looking good Leroy, its coming together quite fast... I see in the first pic, a pile of reinforcements braces for the trusses... I did something similar... I used a piece of 3/4" dia brass tubing, and sharpened the edge at one end, then used it to stamp out circles / disks from some 1/32 birch plywood... I then cut the disks in half and cut the notches to go around the frame members... worked a treat, and really strengthened up the frame work.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 11-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Bill, if your interested in the Swift check out this thread on another board. Charles Richard was a close friend of Corvin Miller who's swift won at Top Gun. There two Swifts were very close to each other, As a matter of fact when Corvin did a b uild article he used Charles's pictures because he didn't have any ready.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561963

Mike
Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
WOW! I have Charles Richard's quarter scale Globe Swift plans! His son Erick sells them and a beautiful fiberglass cowling to go with them. There is also a laser cut short kit available as well. You should see the custom retracts Charles designed for the Swift!
Nice, he also made plans for a 1/3 scale Piper Super Cub PA-18 150... I would luv to see those plans !

John M,
Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Hinckley Bill

Originally Posted by John_M_
Nice, he also made plans for a 1/3 scale Piper Super Cub PA-18 150... I would luv to see those plans !

John M,
I've got those plans John............extremely detailed, if one was going to Top Gun they'd be very, very helpful

Bill
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by John_M_
John M,
John, you may try checking with Erick Richard to see if he has the 1/3 scale PA-18 plans here is his email. He is a research scientist out of Boulder working for NASA so it may take some time for him to reply. You can tell him Mike Campbell in Oklahoma referred you to him. His email address: [email protected]

Mike
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
John_M_

I don't doubt it Bill... I don't plan on taking anything I build to Top Gun... I'm just pursuing a scaled out cub for my own satisfaction of doing it, but at the rate I'm going, someone like you may end up with it, from my estate sale... I better pull my socks up and get it done!

***EDIT***

Thanks Mike, I may look into it, I have enough on my plate for now... but I do appreciate a good / detailed set of plans though.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 11-14-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience with this but I see Duralite has a new light controller available.

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/uplo...tBox_SR_en.pdf

I have a set from RC-Lights. The RCL5324
http://www.rc-lights.com/products/RCL5324.html

Thanks for the advice Leroy, I was actually going to leave the Rudder as is. I will make some changes!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM
John_M_

Hughes, I think electrodynam has a 3 channel LED light controller for $30 bucks... if you go with a complete system, its a bit expensive, but they seem to be the better choice for large scale models... I especially like how you can pick and choose from synchronous, or asynchronous strobes; they even have wig / wag landing lights.

http://electrodynam.com/store/SunVis.html

John M,
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you cubcrasher, you got to stop doing that, crashing.

Flyer I have to make it easy on the eye's so I can see what I did, ha ha.

Thanks Vincent, "hey" this is an all winter build, the fuselage looks like there is a lot done but there is a lot more going into it, some will take time.

Today I got the fire wall on it and some gussets, the fire wall took some re shaping to get it right (I figured it would) nothing on the plans in that area concerning a super cub, it's a work it out as you go build, so far so good. It is presently drying glue so I can get the chin on it tomorrow. Lots of things to do and think about.

Leroy
Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Hey there Leroy....

I just picked up this partially completed Piper Super Cub PA-18-150 from a buddy who had been given it by the widow of the original builder......to say that the builder was 'into' scale building would be an understatement:

Now I just have to set aside the time to make the effort required to finish it as it was meant to be ;-)
Bill I wish some body would give me something like that, sure would save a lot of nice work. I'm doing tube mounts on the stabilizer and elevator but It wont look like the one here, man what a job.

Leroy
Old 11-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Leroy Gardner

John I like the lite-ply 1/8" gussets, they really bind up the cross braces also as well as stiffen the whole aft section up.

Looks to be some pretty nice PA-18 plans out there, Bill's looks like it would be quite the plane to build, not sure I'd want to spend the 5 yr's doing it, not to mention the cost of something like that, "phew".

Leroy
Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 PM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by acerc
Leroy, on my Cub the batteries are against the firewall, beneath the fuel tank. I constructed mine with a cabin sub floor, just enough room to slide wires thru. My rudder and elevator servos are behind the back seat at the bottom, easily accessible with the seat removed.
I also built a sub former and false top in the cabin top for the wing wires to run, they are soldered into D-sub connector. When the wing goes in place it plugs in so there is no handling of the wires.
Who makes the D-sub connector for the wing wires?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:04 AM
Melchizedek

Originally Posted by pilotbum
Who makes the D-sub connector for the wing wires?
Pilotbum, I just got mine from http://www.l-com.com/home.aspx?cmp=1...ce=Emailvision.

Just type D-sub connector in there search.

They are about a buck and some change for each end. I-com shipped mine fast.

Leroy,

It's coming along nicely. Can't wait for your scale ideas to bloom

Kevin

Last edited by Melchizedek; 11-15-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:46 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get mine from http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70081085, and the other half, http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70081086.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:46 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Leroy, very cool that you are building a cub. I have always loved the cub and I find them to be a very rewarding model to fly. I am just getting ready to put together a 40% Bill Hempel Super Cub (ARF).

I am going to detail it as much as I can for an ARF. So I am interested in what you do as eventually I will strip the plastic covering and do modifications and cover with a paintable covering.

TB

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2047492  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 11-15-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Leroy Gardner

A little production today but some epoxy issues caused a slow down with set time. I did get the fire wall on and glassed the blocks all with epoxy, should ne plenty strong when the chin is done and glassed also. There is a relief cut in the fire wall to allow more air movement, have 5/8" behind the carb. now. Engine as stated earlier is a DLE 30 CC side muffler and is contained entirely in the cowl, may look at other muffler in order to get exhaust over to right side and out in the right place as per the real one, cowl cut outs with the scoops and flairs will be as they are on the real one and should provide enough cooling. I will baffle the air inlets also to direct air flow over the upper fins and head.

Wing tube came today so now I can get the wing center built, mounted and finish the turtle deck construction, still plenty to do on the fuselage.

Leroy

Name:	IM000549.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2047650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000554.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	994.5 KB
ID:	2047651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000555.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	2047652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000551.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	2047653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000550.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2047654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000552.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1,007.6 KB
ID:	2047658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000553.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	898.1 KB
ID:	2047661  
Old 11-16-2014, 03:45 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good, I like your cowl. Do you know what the torpedo looking thing at the bottom of the cowl is?
I'm thinking its a alternator/ generator!

TB

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2047739  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Looking good, I like your cowl. Do you know what the torpedo looking thing at the bottom of the cowl is?
I'm thinking its a alternator/ generator!

TB
Tony that's where the air cleaner is on the real one, it's a big long round one with a domed end cap on it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Leroy Gardner

Believe me when I say I have been busy. I found out you can't build this in the order I had planned, there are steps to the whole build.
I'll start up front, with the chin on which will be fiber glassed on both sides for strength. With the former (kit) left out at front window post I had to redesign a replacement. Aircraft ply 1/8" 5 ply across the bottom level with floor mount and two side posts 1/4 X 3/8" X 9 ply, the instrument panel mount and upper deck former is 1/8" X 5 ply and epoxied it all together, when the two trays are mounted in the forward nose for (upper) ignition, throttle servo and batteries and (lower) two 8 oz. side by side fuel tanks & possible battery. Top will be 3/32" balsa plank glassed.

Wing center is almost done, the ribs are stacked to make a hollow place to run and hide wiring to the wings. Straight edges keep it all straight and square, with the wing tube sleeve in I slipped the tube in and got the laser out to check for straightness and it was on the money. Holes were drilled with a 15/16" forstner bit and enlarged a hair for the sleeve, tube is 3/4". I put it on the cabin just to see how it would look but can't mount it yet because I need it to build the dihedral 1" per side into the wings.

I will clean off the building surface and get ready to start the wings assembly which will need more ribs which I will build first and there is still more work on the fuselage front end, window and door. Plenty to do there yet.
I'm looking forward to getting the wing center on so I can get the aft turtle deck done and get the stabilizer mounts in it, all the fun stuff to come yet. stuff.

Leroy

Name:	IM000564.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2049207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000565.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2049209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000560.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	2049217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000563.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	978.3 KB
ID:	2049218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000561.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	1,016.8 KB
ID:	2049220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000566.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2049221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000568.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2049222  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.