Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leroy your progress is looking great, what and ware did you find those nice blue chnnal rails ? I have used alum angle stock in the same way, but if I drop one on the floor it seams they all ways end up with a slight bend.

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have been busy.
Looking good Leroy.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
Leroy your progress is looking great, what and ware did you find those nice blue chnnal rails ? I have used alum angle stock in the same way, but if I drop one on the floor it seams they all ways end up with a slight bend.

Cheers Bob T
Bob I got the track at www.rockler.com in the track section. I have built several router tables and drill press platform tops for guides and hold down, they are really nice and make a great aid for building my kits straight.

Leroy
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
You have been busy.
Looking good Leroy.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, this build is a bit more complex than the Spacewalker was, I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it with the Super Cub changes to the J3 Cub kit.

Leroy
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Looking good..................

Keith
Old 11-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Leroy, I ran across this while doing research on my L-4 - you probably have it but thought I would post a link to it.

http://www.supercubproject.com/downl...ts_Catalog.pdf

Keith
Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
"I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it"
Leroy
That's the whole point of it, is it not!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM
rt3232

Leroy Thanks for the info, will have a look

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Leroy Gardner

Keith I did down load a lot from the supercubproject web pages and I like some of the stuff on your offering so thanks for that.

Enjoyment, "oh yeah", this one is like redesigning the whole set of plans, I have never seen such a mess, crocked lines, out of square and parts don't fit following the plans. I'm not going to address this with Balsa USA, if they cared they wouldn't have put these plans in the box of wood in the first place. Wing would be 109" following the plan, they have been corrected and has the flaps drawn on them now. It's all laid out with the trailing edges of flaps & ailerons much like the real plane drawings.

All in all I will have a super cub in the end and yes it is enjoyable fixing a mess I was provided, Shame on Balsa USA,

Leroy
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Melchizedek

The feeling of accomplishment will be grander though, and the grin will be wider when this bird is complete.
Onward my friend

Kevin
Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Leroy, looking good! Your inspiring me to get back to work on Angie. What covering are you going to use. I'm thinking of trying Stits light when I do the recover. TB
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Leroy, looking good! Your inspiring me to get back to work on Angie. What covering are you going to use. I'm thinking of trying Stits light when I do the recover. TB
Tony Stits is back on my mind, after Waco Nut told ace4rc how easy the Solartex came off a recovering job he's doing I began to wonder about it again. Those two guys are the only ones I have heard to have anything bad to say about it and with their experience I tend to listen. Anyway I'm going to Fabric Land and see if they can get the Poly-Lite fabric and tell me more about it. With the stingy surfaces of the stringers on the fuselage to stick anything to does concern me. There is some unknowns in this area, I have used Solartex one time with very nice results but I don't care for the adhesive weight.

One thing that bothers me is getting information here on anything, getting a definitive answer on a specific question about different techniques and products is hard to come by, it turns into a buy, test and see for yourself.

Leroy
Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
acerc

What do you want to know?
I had a similar experience some years ago with Solartex that is why I dropped it. I personally don't like the dope method used in years past, at least the few brain cells left don't. Looked into the epoxy types such as Klass Kote but with the mixing and don't mix more than needed and such I decided that way was not for me. About the only thing left was Stits, so I tried it on a 1/5 scale Waco build and fell in love. The fabric is extremely easy to apply. Same goes for the filling of the much tighter weave, which was much more difficult with Koveral. They are a little bit limited in colors but the paint is superb, flows well and covers extremely well.
Of course the is always the latex method of which I will not do for personal reasons.
Anyway, I have been using Stits for numerous years and could possibly answer your question.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Leroy Gardner

Robert I watched you put the fabric on your plane and seen some of the effects of the power of the shrink. Reading Stits instructions using the Poly-tack, it states to do about 12" at a time so it doesn't dry too fast, (hence not stick) that method does not appeal to me. Then there is Stix-it ? but would it work for initial adhesion and allow taping over it with Solartex for the ease of doing it, same for the phony stitches that I had good luck with on the spacewalker. Having experience with linen and dope may not help because polyester is a whole different product however Stits said dope could be used, so at this point it's going to need a test bed of sorts to see what works best for me. Then comes the filling the weave, Poly-fill ?, I don't know what it is let alone the sealer. I use automotive base/clear coats and what ever I use has to be compatible with it. So it's easy to see I have a lot of questions and concerns. If this was a full blown plane there would be no problem, just do it EAA /FAA acceptable way and be done with it which is the way you did yours. I really think there is an easier way for a model, just not sure what it is.

I have read where others have used this and that product but never posted a step by step process, that's the part where information is hard to come buy. There is no doubt about your process being the best and at the same time thinking what other products will produce the same results using Poly-Lite fabric. I'm not lazy and will do the work, with this fabric your going to have to do it, my biggest question is options of the products to do it with.

Robert your in sites on the matter aside from going with Stits system through out would interest me as well as other successful ways you have heard of would at least give me something to think about. appreciate your willingness to help and thank you.

Leroy
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM
spaceworm

A search here on RCU using "fabric covering" will get you at least 1000 (1K in metric) results. There are two many for any one person to relate back to an interested person that could look them up themselves.

Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 Cub, H9 100 inch (Gen 1) Cub, GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk l/II Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
acerc

I will take your concerns in order,
#1 The polytak sucks for our application, at least that was my experience with it, just to messy and slow. I use Stix-it for the initial attachment of the fabric, only on the perimeter.
#2 The polybrush is the adhesive in which anywhere the fabric touches wood it will get adhered. The polybrush also fills the weave, depending on the finish desired as to the number of coats. For a glass smooth finish three coats does it up real well. This polybrush will not effect the airframe in any other way such as warping it, which most of the water based products will do.
#3 As for mixing products, well, most don't like doing it and I am one of them. In my opinion mixing products and techniques is just asking for something to go wrong.

When mixing components one risk something not working well with another but not knowing it until it is to late, over the longterm.
One also risk not having a consistent finish throughout by adding in another type of material, such as Solartex tapes. Many people find there way with mixing all these thing and if that suits you I sincerely hope you find your way.

In my 40 years of building I have come to realize that sticking with one way, a way one likes, and a way that yields excellent results everytime is priceless. And in those years I tried all sorts of mixing of different products such as dopes, polyurethane, water based Poly, latex, acrylic, epoxies, resins of all sorts, and have never been as happy as I have with Stits. It simply suits my needs and my abilities,
And I apologise for being long winded and for not offering up what I think will and will not mix together. But I feel that in some way we all are friends on RCU and I would never advise a friend of something I would not do myself, such as mixing products. My advice is find a system and use that entire system, which ever one that may be.

Robert
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Leroy Gardner

Thank you Robert , that pretty much sums it up and it runs along the lines of my thinking. I have painted a lot in my life and have learned a lot about compatibility of a lot of products and many of those products have changed over the years. I see a number of products some of the guys are using but don't think they are for me. What it really comes to is working with a fabric I have never used and the steps to finish it to my expectations, something you have already done. Believe it or not, you said a lot without saying too much and it's helpful, you didn't say to go dig it up yourself.

Thanks a lot, Leroy
Old 11-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Leroy Gardner

Having to build the wings at this point they needed some changes to the wing trailing & leading aileron surfaces to comply with the scale features of the real plane drawings. Flaps have a bit different profile and will get the same treatment (getting made before they go in the construction) it's easier to form them first rather than after it's built. I have more ribs to cut to add to the kit ones which I can use, more on that later. Flaps and ailerons will be built separate from the main wing.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000569.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	977.3 KB
ID:	2049829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000570.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	911.6 KB
ID:	2049830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000571.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	923.2 KB
ID:	2049831  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
acerc

You are welcome Leroy.
If there was anything else as simple to use that produced the same great results with the same amount of effort I would give it a shot. But, I have not found it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 PM
RDJeff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Leroy, I'm glad to see you have the trailing edge/control surface interface worked out. I'm doing the same thing on mine, but am still working out the hinge placement. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:31 AM
TonyBuilder

For the hinges it appears that some Super Cubs have fries ailerons and a similar hing for the flaps.

This style of hing is very easy to do and you can make the control surfases removable. Having the control surfaces removable is a great advantage in building and finishing.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	2050012  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have to say Robert has been a wealth of information for me offline on using Stits I am planning to try on my next project.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by RDJeff
Leroy, I'm glad to see you have the trailing edge/control surface interface worked out. I'm doing the same thing on mine, but am still working out the hinge placement. Please keep us posted.
Jeff I'm also working out the hinge arrangement myself, there isn't much thickness in the ailerons and flaps to work with using the Robart hinge points. I'm going to separate a hinge to see if the aileron side could be made of aluminum to fit the hinge knuckle while incorporating a control horn in one of them. Part of building scale is working all the details out to get the scale look and operation. I'll figure something out, will have to piddle with it and see what works.

Leroy
Old 11-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
For the hinges it appears that some Super Cubs have fries ailerons and a similar hing for the flaps.

This style of hing is very easy to do and you can make the control surfases removable. Having the control surfaces removable is a great advantage in building and finishing.

TB
Tony all cubs hinging is done this way, dates back to the 20's and has worked well to the present day.

Leroy
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Leroy Gardner

OKC Mike, your right about that, Robert has a wealth of experience on most anything RC and he's very nice about helping if you just ask, I wish more would come forward on some of these builds, there is a lot of experience out there that would help many of us. A few yr's. back there was a number of them that are no longer with us and they are missed by many.

Leroy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.