Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:46 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just you brother!! But we are a dying breed.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:14 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on that.

Building is my therapy, I can go in my shop shut the door and I am in my world, I also still work part time just to cover the hobby.

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
It's not just you brother!! But we are a dying breed.
I hope I don't die to soon, I have a lot of work to do. Your right though, when the old guys are gone they take a lot with them, really doesn't matter. not that many new guys to share it with and it's soooo much fun. "Ok", wheres my I Phone.

Leroy
Old 12-06-2014, 04:38 PM
acerc

LOL. Don't we all, live long and prosper. As for the rest, well, I don't feel it is so much our abilities that is being lost but rather a type of mentality. A mentality of figuring things out and how things work, that is the base of our abilities the hands just follow suit. But the hands are use to it for that is what they have been doing. Now a days folk are getting CTS from pushing buttons to much.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by rt3232
+1 on that.

Building is my therapy, I can go in my shop shut the door and I am in my world, I also still work part time just to cover the hobby.

Cheers Bob T
Bob we are a lot alike in our shops. I wouldn't call it seventh heaven but it is a world of it's own. I wouldn't trade it for anything come winter.

Leroy
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM
rt3232

I hear yea
Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Cubs seam to always bring up debate at the fields I fly at. Some guys like them, some don't and some really like them. I have flown a few different typs of planes in my short time in this hobby. I have found Cubs to be one of the more challenging planes to fly and require more attention then planes like 3D planes or sports planes. I have owned 3, and crashed one. Yes they are slow flyers but the reqier skill.

One of the reasons I like the cub is its challenges. My 100cc 3D Sbach was the easiest plane to fly I have ever had, it required the least attention to fly, relitivly speaking. I find them to be very interesting and a great frame to build off of to personalize one to the individual.

Yes the basick J3 is everywhere but with the super cub, carbon cub you can really have some fun in indavidualizing one.

Anyways I can't wait to see Leroys cub all done up like his spaicewalker.

TB
Old 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM
cubcrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen that cub debate at fields too. One thing for sure, they will
sharpen your rudder skills.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Leroy Gardner

Speaking of figuring things out, I think I have a handle on mounting the tail parts, with the mounts and horn soldered to their respective tubes I put it together to see how well it's going to work. I use led free silver solder and a micro torch to do it with, it's great stuff and strong. For those that don't know, brass does not shrink, bow or deform when soldering it.

Putting it together and setting it in place and it was looking good, elevator is doweled to the stabilizer.

While there is some fit up of the fuselage tail post the horn will be easy to get at and will have a hatch should it ever need service. Nothing is bolted down yet and there is some fit adjustment where the stabilizer meets the body but I knew it would need that. Once that is done and bolted in place all the tubes will be drilled with the dowels in them and the dowels pinned to their attachments with 1/8" hardwood dowels, no way tor any of this to fail.

I put the rudder in place just to see how it all looked, I had made the lower rudder mount 3/8" taller than the plan shows, after cutouts to clear the mounts are made it will glue directly to the plate and the front post will go in a receiver socket which will make it a lot stronger than the plan way of doing this.

It's really going to be nice, I'm really liking doing this, who said it wasn't fun.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000605.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	939.7 KB
ID:	2052763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000606.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	2052766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000607.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2052767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000608.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	1,009.2 KB
ID:	2052768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000609.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	907.0 KB
ID:	2052770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000613.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	968.8 KB
ID:	2052771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000610.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2052776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000611.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2052777  

Old 12-06-2014, 05:59 PM
acerc

This may be a stupid question, all shoot, I just realized I was looking at it wrong. Look's great. That is the same method I used on a Waco.

Last edited by acerc; 12-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:07 PM
rt3232

Good question I see pin's ware the hinges go and that might be a problem, I hope not.

Leroy we need more pic's please
Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Melchizedek

Looks Great Leroy,

I Just notices you used biscuits in the elevator only. Why just there and not the stabilizers too ?

Kevin
Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Leroy Gardner

This may be a stupid question, all shoot, I just realized I was looking at it wrong. Look's great. That is the same method I used on a Waco.
May have been upside down, I never seen your Waco but it's a nice way to do this, not just scale but from a maintenance point of view.

Leroy
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by rt3232
Good question I see pin's ware the hinges go and that might be a problem, I hope not.

Leroy we need more pic's please
"Pictures", I'm building as fast as I can and it has to last all winter and there is a lot to do on this bird yet. Smile it gets better down the road.

Leroy
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Looks Great Leroy,

I Just notices you used biscuits in the elevator only. Why just there and not the stabilizers too ?

Kevin
Kevin that trailing edge is only 1/4" and gets a work out so that's why I did it there ( there is not much to glue to) all the rest is built different with larger glue joints, except for the rudder and tapered elevator trailing edge It's 3/8" thick and there's more glue area. I will do the same thing (biscuits) on the wing tips which will be 1/4" thick not the 3/8" shown on the plans, I will band them also.

Leroy
Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Leroy Gardner

Tony so many guys just build out of the box and they are good builders, I have asked some , why didn't do the stitches or finish the cockpit (nice looking planes too) they all said the same thing, they just got burned out and wanted to fly it. All that is ok but wondered why they showed up at a scale meet where they get judged. I think if it's supposed to be scale it should look that way, not that it really matters. still nicely built.

There's that personalized building preference, go fly and enjoy it is what matters most. I like the "holly crap, come look at this", guess it's a pride thing, sure puts a on my face.

Leroy

Old 12-07-2014, 02:29 AM
TonyBuilder

Leroy, I know what you mean about the scale appeal. I have found I just can't fly a fram for the sake of just flying, I'm not a just go fly it kind of guy. A plane has to have as much if not more ground appeal as it does have fly ability. Yes it is a pride thing. I have never been to a scale meet/ competition and would like to at some point. I don't like ARFs at this point but some times I just don't want to build and need a plane to fly. Most if not all the ARFs I have done I striped the covering and modified and scaled it out as much as one can with an ARF. Your cub will be a winner for sure.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 12-07-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Leroy, it is plain to see that you have spent a lot of time thinking about the details on this plane. It is a joy to watch as this project progresses. I think that your cub will garner a lot of attention at any flying field... I love the brass work- Bravo!

I too love to spend time in my workshop, I don't know how I would cope without that release for me.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM
LarsL

Leroy,

Nice build and lots of good tips to learn from here in your thread. I like that yours will be a SC; I've got one going mysel (old 1/5 Adrian Page kit).

On the subject of flying the Cub, while it is naturally a slower flyer which does give you more time to work through your flight/maneuvers, I think it is actually one of the more challenging models to fly "right." Getting the turns coordinated when your making circuits in the pattern, approaches, and especially landings... tough and rewarding when you do get it right. It's not a plane that "flies on rails" like most of the acro models. It doesn't go where you point it. It's infinitely easier for me to grease an Edge in than get a smooth landing with a Cub.

It can be relaxing if you are just putting around the sky for some flight time, challenging if you are really trying to do a scale flight from takeoff to landing.

Lars
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 AM
TonyBuilder

Lars, I agree 100% with you. An edge, extra and any other 3D plane is a piece of cake to take off, fly and land compared to a cub. Some fly Cubs like an RC plane, full throttle on take off, go vertical, yank and bank, then bounce the landing with a wing tip scrape as you loop on the ground. To fly a cub scale like with a few added fun things like one wheel touch and goes, nice strait scale take offs and landings is much harder to do then most planes.

A cub can be difficult to take off in a cross wind, and landings can get tough to not bounce it. I have rarely seen pilots fly Cubs like Cubs and I aspire to do so with my SC.

TB
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 AM
rt3232

Leroy The detailing will take most of the winter, not the building, but I rely like what I see you doing.

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 AM
LarsL

You said it Tony and Leroy has a good start here with his build.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Leroy Gardner

LOL. Don't we all, live long and prosper. As for the rest, well, I don't feel it is so much our abilities that is being lost but rather a type of mentality. A mentality of figuring things out and how things work, that is the base of our abilities the hands just follow suit. But the hands are use to it for that is what they have been doing. Now a days folk are getting CTS from pushing buttons to much.
Robert it's funny you mentioned that, there was a very nice column in our paper talking about what the electronic age is doing to the work force, know one has to think much on too many jobs, they just push buttons. In this hobby and most trades it requires training from those that have the experience to do the job at hand. Having abilities only suggests your capable to learn and figure things out providing you have enough exposure in the realm of what your doing. I credit most of my abilities to the vast amount of varied experience I got in the work place over the course of many years and we had to use our brains to do it, mentality was a lot different those years compared to today.

Leroy
Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

It always amazes me how many people haven't the clue how to make the simplest repairs. All they know how to do is write a check or pull out a credit card.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM
TonyBuilder

I am getting ready to setup my flap servos and linkages, what is the best way to setup the servo and switch to get the best setup?

I have always set the servo arm at the up position so when I flip the switch for full flaps I get the full throw of the servo but my half flap position is always off and hard to get both flaps linked up. Should I center the servo on the half flap position and Then adjust the linkage in the up position and end points for the full down. Just trying to find the best and corect way to set up my flap servo and servo arm position.

I have my flaps on the right side slider.

I am asking here because you all are the smartest bunch.

Thanks

TB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.