Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you could make it functional as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Leroy, you can do a plexiglass cover like this to show off the jack screw!

TB
Now there's another Idea, does yours have one. I have seen where a couple guys made a functional one, hardly see the need. If you build it right and balance it right it's the last thing you should have to trim. Personal experience tells me that.

Leroy
Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by acerc
And you could make it functional as well.
I answer that on RCG
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
I have seen where a couple guys made a functional one, hardly see the need.
Leroy
Yep, I was one of them and it was only cool once or twice.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Leroy, it is really looking nice. You need to slow down though as you will be done in February and will have to just look at it until the thaw................

Keith
Kieth most of the frame work is done, it's the fast moving stuff. there is a crap load of details to do and they take the most time, the flaps and ailerons will keep me busy when I get to them, they will be corrugated and have all the rivets and screws. I'll be here awhile, the little stuff takes the most time, floorboards and upholstered seats and instrument panel plus the time to scrounge up small building supplies.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2014, 02:55 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leroy I have found that as you say the framing goes quicly, it's all the detailing that takes the majority of the time to do. Are you doing a full cockpit? That will be awesome

I will be fallowing what you do as when I do the recover I will scale my cub out, not as much as for competing but just to have a really nice cub. We have a growing get together we hold a couple times a year called Cubs and cosines. It is a gathering of cub flyers and other high wing planes. We do a pot luck lunch and have a good time flying.

Question, will your controll links be hiden in the wings?

TB
Old 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Leroy I have found that as you say the framing goes quicly, it's all the detailing that takes the majority of the time to do. Are you doing a full cockpit? That will be awesome

I will be fallowing what you do as when I do the recover I will scale my cub out, not as much as for competing but just to have a really nice cub. We have a growing get together we hold a couple times a year called Cubs and cosines. It is a gathering of cub flyers and other high wing planes. We do a pot luck lunch and have a good time flying.

Question, will your controll links be hiden in the wings?

TB
Morning Tony, it's 9:30 AM here. Yes I'm doing the full cockpit, I think it's possible without adding much weight, I really enjoy doing all the small details, getting all the nomenclature is the hardest. I have clear and white decal film and most of the pictures to size and copy of panels but my computer skills are limited. I have a friend with a printing and sign business who may be able to help me.

As far as wing linkage, I hope to keep it scale, the thickness of both flaps and aileron leading edges will make it challenging , ailerons have horns and exterior push pull cables which will be push rods with one being a dummy, the flap control is internal but I think I can get it in there and hope 109 in. oz. servo can handle it.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2054625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2054626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0436.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2054627  
Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by Hughes500E
The best muffler that I have found for the DLE 30 is from Mile High RC. It is very quiet when running a 19x8 prop. I have two of them. They pass the noise test with no concerns and they are inexpensive. I just comunicated with Mike from Mile High and although this DLE 30 pitts muffler is not listed on his site, he does have them. It is the same style as the "DLE 20 pitts muffler". Make sure you order the all tubular pitts DLE30 type not the one shown on his site for the DLE30/EME35
I'm not overly concerned with the muffler noise level provided it's within reason. I won't use one of those straight pipes that B&B sells though, those are ridiculously loud, worse than my chain saw.
I have one of the wrap around pitts style mufflers I wanted to use but there a re a few issues. First one is that the can hits the firewall, not a total problem as I could adjust the firewall a bit to make it fit. Also the exhaust tubes on the bottom as well. If I knew it would hit I would have adjusted the firewall when I built it in. It hits due to the height of the firewall and how high up the engine is on it.
I looked at the mufflers on Mile Highs web site. I have one of the single pipe smoke styles he sells on another plane, it's very similar in size to the stock DLE 30 muffler. I would however be interested in knowing the dimensions of the non-smoke one he has on his site (out of stock right now). It appears to be a bit thinner, maybe that one would fit inside.

Leroy, by the way I followed your lead and put the little "house shaped" gussets in the fuselage to beef up support in that area. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 AM
RDJeff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Leroy,

Have you looked into rotary drive for your wing controls? I've got that setup for my build, everything is internal, and I plan on just dummying up the hinge details on the outside. The plane I'm modeling has different mechanisms from what you're showing, but it would work fine for yours too.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Morning Tony, it's 9:30 AM here. Yes I'm doing the full cockpit, I think it's possible without adding much weight, I really enjoy doing all the small details, getting all the nomenclature is the hardest. I have clear and white decal film and most of the pictures to size and copy of panels but my computer skills are limited. I have a friend with a printing and sign business who may be able to help me.

As far as wing linkage, I hope to keep it scale, the thickness of both flaps and aileron leading edges will make it challenging , ailerons have horns and exterior push pull cables which will be push rods with one being a dummy, the flap control is internal but I think I can get it in there and hope 109 in. oz. servo can handle it.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Leroy Gardner

Todd a lot of those mufflers cans are quite large and you have to radius the bottom of the fire wall, if the muffler I have coming has a to large a can for my application I will cut the back off and weld a plate to it. With any luck I won't have to do that, most wrap around cans will fit under the carb. using the standard stand offs.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Leroy Gardner

John_M_ I hope your right, you can also put a bell crank in there and use it to compound the force from the servo, a straight un equal pivot arm will do the same thing. I will test the setup before the covering goes on. As Jeff said, a rotary drive may be a good option. One thing I will do is mock up a profile to see how much throw I can get with what I have in mind, like you said it's working out things that take time as well as all the small details, many don't have a clue what goes into all of this.

I don't know what a pilot protector is but that lever is a nice piece of work, makes me think of the hinges I have to make, I'm saving them for last.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Leroy Gardner

Jeff there are many options for doing this, problem is I haven't used anything but the standard methods, the whole thing about the rotary drive is interesting, can you show pictures of yours to give me an idea of how they work. I have an idea, just have never seen a good example of it.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2014, 04:35 PM
John_M_

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:44 PM
acerc

Make me one.

Name:	158 - Copy.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	2054843  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Robert Are you using a stand alone air speed unit or is it part of the new hi$$$ raido 18 chnl, if it is a stand alone I would like to know what your using and make.

cheers Bob T
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 PM
acerc

It is a semi stand alone, part of a telemetry recorder from http://www.eagletreesystems.com/. So far I really like the telemetry for initially seeing what everything is doing and knowing all is good. I run with engine temps, rpm, airspeed, and throttle position. After a flight I download to the laptop and see what is going on during that flight. After getting everything running perfect and a couple consistent flight recordings I remove it for the next model. Of course if I think something is going on I can reinstall it. The Big Pitts will have a system full time.
And I don't want one on the radio, I may be tempted to look at it. There is a receiver that my spotter could watch for me if I wanted.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 PM
John_M_

Censored

Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 PM
John_M_

Censored

Old 12-14-2014, 11:51 AM
RDJeff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Leroy,

I haven't even started framing up my wings yet, so there's really nothing to show. You can have a look at the site www.irfmachineworks.com for all the info you'll need.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2014, 12:23 PM
acerc

You are correct John, it was a compliment. And yes, I could make one. And, no, it would not work. It is on my current, Pitts, build. See pic.

Name:	14 - Copy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	2055005  
Old 12-14-2014, 02:08 PM
acerc

Leroy, I used those RDS controls on a 60 size Corsair for the flaps. Although I found them a bit of a PITA to start with, once I figured it out I loved them.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:12 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember where you got them Robert?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:13 PM
acerc

The same link as above, http://www.irfmachineworks.com/.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.