Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
I'm sure you considered the possibility of putting floats on your Cub Leroy. In case you haven't, some simple blocks added may prove useful when and if you decide to go with floats at a later date.
While floats look right at home on this plane I doubt I will ever fly off water, actually it would be quits a sight buzzing the fishermen, ha ha. I think I'll stick to a runway where the take offs are the usual and the landings are iffy.

Leroy
Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by thailazer
Leroy... I used to fly at the Northwest Scale Masters events held at Farragut Park. Are those events still going on up there? Your J3 would look great there.
They have that at a new field with Silverwood in the back ground, it's called Silver Hills RC Fliers, I think Farragut Park is on the way out. I went to my first scale fly-in last year at Silver Hills and left with 3 awards and got the bug with it, my cub will be there come this summer.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2055741  
Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rt3232
Guys don't install those digital RPM thingys to solid I have one in my weeks bipe and it is on double sided foam tape, went bad after about ten flights and the canopy is not removable. Baaaaa

Cheers bob T
I use the Rcexl digital tac on all my planes for years with no issues. I have mounted them directly to the balsa frame, even in a cowl. Over 3 hundred flights with no issues. Bob I think you got a dud

TB
Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

T/B you could be right. I had just heard good things about them so thought I would try one , stuck next to the pilot figure and then glued the canopy on. it is the 3 digit one, my flying budy has a the same type and it seams to be fine but he put his on 1/4 foam so you figure.

Cheers Bob T

Last edited by rt3232; 12-17-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Way to go Leroy! You really cleaned up at the Fly IN!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Way to go Leroy! You really cleaned up at the Fly IN!
Mike you know it's funny I never built those two planes to compete at shows, it wasn't until I went to a scale meet and looked at all the beautiful builds that I realized they weren't any better than two I had at home so I took them to the next scale meet in our area. I really was surprised at the outcome and a label of a master builder that went with it. Heck I have only built 5 planes, two scale plus the cub I'm building now makes 6 and I have never thought of myself as a master builder as I just build for myself and will continue to do so.

I don't have a fat head as a result, it's just the way I do things as well as sharing with others the many things I have learned and I still have much to learn myself. Anyone can do it if you just set your mind to it.

Leroy
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
cubcrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see some more pictures of that P-51.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Leroy, a master builder is judged not on quantity but on quality and your builds are the proof you belong!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
I would like to see some more pictures of that P-51.
R.T. you should be able to find it here: TF P51 1/5 scale kit built in Giant Scale Airplanes around page 4 or 5, my addresses never work, ?

Leroy
Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
cubcrasher

Thanks, I'll check em out.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:32 PM
TonyBuilder

Leroy, you may have already addressed this. What cowl are you using? Did you get one from FS or are you using the supplied BUSA cowl.

I am gathering some info on details as I will be modifying my cowl as no one makes a 40% super cub cowl.
I will layup some carbon fiber doors like I did with my chipmunk making it a little wider so my spark plug caps stay in the cowl. I will do the air filter similar to this.

My my cowl doors will be similar to these.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2056541   Click image for larger version

Views:	242
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2056542   Click image for larger version

Views:	243
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2056544   Click image for larger version

Views:	265
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2056545   Click image for larger version

Views:	264
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2056546  
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM
bigbird3

I'm in for this build Leroy! Look in my Gallery, I have an AMR third scale cub there that I built for a friend. It turned out fairly nice..............I think!
Keep up the good work. BTW, Careful about hardening with CA, It can make things brittle! Perhaps smearing medium along an edge instead of saturating it all with thin will be better.
Just a thought from experience. I have seen a Sportster 120 that was built with lots of thin and 'slathered' in sheeted areas. When it hit the ground, asphalt, we had to sweep it onto a blanket to get all of the pieces and then there was still a lot of 'dust' left for the rain to take care of! He thinned the tail feathers on to and they tried to fly in a different direction than the plane!
Take care buddy, look forward to what I will be seeing. If I may help, just ask. I always say that 'I don't know everything, but, I know everything else!' LOL
bird.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Leroy Gardner

Tony I'm using the F.S. cowl all the ones you posted are not J3 Cub cowls they only have the oil cooler opening, I suppose modifying it is up to the builder and has something to do with the larger engines put in some of them on the real ones. With the scale of yours and an apposed engine then there is no need to put the air filter scoop on it, looks good without it, cleaner.

Leroy
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by bigbird3
I'm in for this build Leroy! Look in my Gallery, I have an AMR third scale cub there that I built for a friend. It turned out fairly nice..............I think!
Keep up the good work. BTW, Careful about hardening with CA, It can make things brittle! Perhaps smearing medium along an edge instead of saturating it all with thin will be better.
Just a thought from experience. I have seen a Sportster 120 that was built with lots of thin and 'slathered' in sheeted areas. When it hit the ground, asphalt, we had to sweep it onto a blanket to get all of the pieces and then there was still a lot of 'dust' left for the rain to take care of! He thinned the tail feathers on to and they tried to fly in a different direction than the plane!
Take care buddy, look forward to what I will be seeing. If I may help, just ask. I always say that 'I don't know everything, but, I know everything else!' LOL That's a good one
bird.
Hi bigbird and without a bird brain, Happy to have you along and I will check out your gallery, there's not much in mine. You have a point about the hardening, something that never occurred to me so will rethink that. I do think they need to be firmed up some though.

I got a kick out of your last sentence, it's a good way to say I'm no dummy without saying it.

Merry Christmas to all and keep your wings in the air and wheels on the ground.

Leroy
Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Leroy Gardner

bird I had to come back and say that's one fine gallery, easy to see why you know every thing else and you better stick around, never know when I need to know something else. It's a great place if you can connect with the right people, there's a lot you can learn.

Leroy
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 PM
bigbird3

Thanks Leroy, glad to be here. BTW, birdbrain use to be my pass words till they started wanting numbers and caps in them! As for your last sentance, it is an oxymoron don't you think? Can't do both at the same time but one before and after the other will work! hehe! See you have a TP P-51, is it 'Gold' or 'old'? I have a red box still in the box! I have a P-39 red box also! I also have a Gold P-39 built by a friend and traded. Took it down and is awaiting electrifying and metalizing! Aught to be a sight.
Well, enough with the dren, Farscape term for s--t. Love that show, been watching it for about the fourth or fifth time now.
Remember one thing about large scale planes- build them strong and heavy. They will fly nicely and react more scale like. Plus, they won't be tossed around in the wind. I put a G-62 in the cub I built and it is waaaaaay too much! A 45 to a 55 will do nicely. You can over prop them a bit, just don't tune them too lean, leave them a little fat and drop the pitch so they don't strain too much. third scale needs a two foot 24" Prop for scale, a twenty will do pretty good. Remember too that it is a scale 'putter' not a scale 'speed' ship. It will do everything you want. Get your mustang out if you want to buzz around.
I'm sorry if I go on with advise but I don't know how much building you have done So I will probably sputter it out anyway.
Tip; never use five minute epoxy anywhere! Ever! The quick drying time doesn't give it time to penetrate the wood especially ply and hard wood. Tail feathers and firewalls use thirty minute or two hour. When you are ready to glue the H-stab in place, take two one inch drywall screws and set it in place before gluing.Always use a full plate of wood between the tail section it glues to. The sticks are not enough to glue to for strength. Remember, strong-heavy=durable.This will insure alignment and security while drying. you can leave them if you like. That is if the stab is not slid into a slot. I can tell you how to set this up so there is no mounting before covering it. The worst thing is to have to cover the stabs with them glued in place. Lots of damage during the covering process.
BTW, we only had twenty four hour epoxy when I started modeling in 1965. No CA and pin everything down for slow glue and hope it didn't pop up before curing. Monocote came out in 65 and was not received very well. Lots of silk and dope or silk span and dope.
Well, I tried to sign off once so here I go again.
Take care buddy.
bird.

Last edited by bigbird3; 12-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM
John_M_

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Leroy Gardner

There is a lot of fact and fiction about glues we use on our planes, John you said it pretty well where the wood is concerned and the different kinds of joints involved. I use 3 different kings of glue in construction, white/yellow being the primary, CA's for the quick hold of various parts during set ups and epoxy for all the higher stress joints. Knowing something about glues will help in knowing where best to use it, you see a number of questions about glue all over the place, good stuff to know.

Get past Christmas and I will be back in the shop, can hardly wait to get back on the cub, it's been a week since I did anything on it.

Leroy
Old 12-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Leroy Gardner

Bird if you take some time to read this build you will see I am way ahead of the point you are talking about. We as a RC bunch of guys all have our ways of doing things while always looking for ways others do theirs as a way to expand our knowledge and finding other methods, know one has the answers to everything, there is always more to learn, that's part of the fun of a build thread, sharing the knowledge while gaining from it.

Leroy
Old 12-24-2014, 04:33 PM
TonyBuilder

As for the subject of glue. One of the best way to learn how the glues we use hold up is to de construct a build. When I took Angie the prototype apart I found that yellow glue was no stronger then CA or epoxy. I was able to peal joints apart, and I was surprised to see how well the CA joints held up. Glue is only as strong as the material it is glued to. Choosing glue should be based on the wood and the type of joint. I find creating tabs and using bisects and pins greatly strengthen joints over just butt gluing.

I hear you Leroy on the can't wait to get back to the building, I got 4 days of building ahead before I go back to work

TB
Old 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by John_M_
Interesting Bird... on my 1/4 Sig cub, I built it entirely with thin and thick jet CA... the only places I think I used epoxy was on the music wire braces and the wing dihedral brace pockets in the wing roots, and I believe I used 15min epoxy in those areas... maybe the extra 5min gave some better penetration... for gluing the hings in place, I used RC-56 canopy glue.

The way I look at it is, the glue is only as strong as the wood fibers the glue is bonded to... so as long as the glue bonds to the wood fibers, a stronger glue isn't going to make the bond any stronger... more importantly is in the mechanics of the glued joint, i.e. where strength is needed use half overlap joints, mortised joints, ply reinforced joints; something other that the ol butt joints.

John M,
John, Leroy and Tony, All good points on the glue. I did mean to mention CA as a main gluing substance. I use mostly Medium for most all of my building. I never use crunchy or tender woods as you said they are not strong enough no matter what glue you use. I mentioned strong and heavy as a method for building. The bigger the bird the heavier you can build it and get away with it because the plane will carry it just fine. I have also found that yellow glue seems to deteriorate over a long time. I'm not sure why. I have rebuilt several really old models that were built with it and it was brittle and letting go. There were some bad joints as to why it was not holding. At any rate, it was a mess. I like the CA because it can be made to hold at the time you apply it and not having to wonder if it is holding.
Fifteen minute epoxy is good too. I just like the longer epoxy for security reasons and the fact that I try to never get in a hurry.
Looking out from my bird cage, that;s all I can see from here.
bird.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

I too have had some time to work the plane this week. Quite a bit of covering done to the fuse. I'm using solartex. This is the first time I have used that stuff, it's much nicer than monocote to apply.
Anyone have any experience with using solartex to cover a fiberglass engine cowl? If so how'd it work out for you?
Merry Christmas.
Todd
Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 PM
John_M_

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 PM
pilotbum

What is the advantage of using yellow/white glue over CA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.