Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotbum
What is the advantage of using yellow/white glue over CA?
Well, let me count the ways! LOL! And this is strictly my own rigid opinion! I just don't use the yellow or white and I don't see any advantage that yellow or white glue had over CA. I have become accustom to the fast curing of the CA. I have never had a catastrophic failure because of CA. There is no accelerator for yellow or white glue and CA doesn't have to be pinned down to dry with the possibility of something popping up! Building time is increased ten fold if not more!
Now, having said that, Yellow and white glue does have an advantage over CA when it comes to building cabinets and other furniture and things of that sort where I have found that CA doesn't hold up in that area unless it is a small project and not under a great deal of strain like the afore mentioned.
When I said what I said about epoxy's and the differences, five minute especially, just to address John M.'s comment. I have seen many failures because of it's lack of penetration. When fuel gets on or in and around it, it will, in time, peal off of the wood. You can usually tell when it is five minute because it will be a dark amber color.
I probably wouldn't use it as a field repair either because you will inevitably have the same results of limited adhesion. I would rather use CA for a field repair if I had the choice and in many cases, thin would work very well if the parts have not separated and medium if they have. Many models I have built, the firewall was installed with medium CA with triangle stock behind it. I would use this up to a sixty size ship and if I went any bigger, I would dowel the firewall if I used CA. I am very confident in it's reliability and strength. I have 'tested' it many times!!!!! and what you might think would fail, didn't. If it did fail, there was very evident adhesion because of the wood tearing out and not failing at the joint.
It's a matter of choice as a few have pointed out thus far and I totally agree. I would almost bet that Dave Platt and Frank Tiano use CA in their building quite extensively and they are prolific big ship builders. Not to mention, they are quite opinionated just like me!LOL!
Anyway, that is my take on it. Like I said, I can be quite pig headed when I think I'm right! I'm sure none of you guys are like that so that leaves me in a class by my self! LOL!
God it's lonely up here! LOL! Use your shot gun and shoot some of my balloons so I can come back to the ground would ya?
Thanks guys for putting up with me.
Your bud
bird. .............................really!

Last edited by bigbird3; 12-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the advantage of using yellow/white glue over CA?
One thing it's lighter after it dries, allows more time to adjust a part if needed as well as makes a strong joint with any wood, being water based it has good penetration in the fibers of wood and in spite of what some say it does not deteriorate over time if kept in a controlled environment like your home. Tightbond 11 and 111 have inhibitors for wet climates but don't use it for under water applications. It is easier to sand when doing laminates, fillets and the like.

There is nothing wrong with CA glues and is a strong bonding agent for many items except plastics which it will eat into it. Balsa is a wonder wood with a mix of densities and fibers, the inner tree parts have the hardest and most dense fibers, most of which are hard and long, as you move out in the growth rings (hardly visible) it loses density and has more soft fibers than hard ones hence the saying, the whiter the lighter and all glues bond well to it if dust free. .

While there is many glues that can be used for building our balsa planes the ones I mentioned are the most common I believe. Plywood is often very hard (not speaking of light-ply) and has a slick surface making bonding difficult with the exception of contact cement, the surface in most cases needs to be roughed up good so the glue has something to grab on to, epoxy is a good one for that kind of gluing.

I have been building with wood for years and have never had a glue joint fail in any of it, it boils down to the type of glue used and the kind of wood glued, our planes are no different.

Leroy
Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
One thing it's lighter after it dries, allows more time to adjust a part if needed as well as makes a strong joint with any wood, being water based it has good penetration in the fibers of wood and in spite of what some say it does not deteriorate over time if kept in a controlled environment like your home. Tightbond 11 and 111 have inhibitors for wet climates but don't use it for under water applications. It is easier to sand when doing laminates, fillets and the like.

There is nothing wrong with CA glues and is a strong bonding agent for many items except plastics which it will eat into it. Balsa is a wonder wood with a mix of densities and fibers, the inner tree parts have the hardest and most dense fibers, most of which are hard and long, as you move out in the growth rings (hardly visible) it loses density and has more soft fibers than hard ones hence the saying, the whiter the lighter and all glues bond well to it if dust free. .

While there is many glues that can be used for building our balsa planes the ones I mentioned are the most common I believe. Plywood is often very hard (not speaking of light-ply) and has a slick surface making bonding difficult with the exception of contact cement, the surface in most cases needs to be roughed up good so the glue has something to grab on to, epoxy is a good one for that kind of gluing.

I have been building with wood for years and have never had a glue joint fail in any of it, it boils down to the type of glue used and the kind of wood glued, our planes are no different.

Leroy
Good stuff Leroy. White/yellow glue is also great for blind applications like putting sheeting on ribs, cap strips, and top/bottom fuse sheeting. Works great on balsa or on large area plywood lamination. When I can see a joint in balsa however, I normally use CA. Epoxy for ply and hardwood joining.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:17 AM
stevegauth30

So basically it comes down to whatever the builder is comfortable using. If your planes are shedding parts for no apparent reason, you may want to re think what your doing. How ever, if your like most of us, and still fly planes that were built eons ago, with hundreds if not more flights on them, then carry on. It all boils down to how you like to build be it fast with CA, or taking your time with tite bond. If your joints are tight, your alright. One thing I do agree with is the 5 minute epoxy. I don't use it, but again, just my preference. The best thing we can do is find out through testing and personal experience. I use a mixture af all three. They all have there places.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:14 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes good stuff and I love when builders debate there methods, this is how we learn and share. I too am a fast (impatient) builder and use CA a lot, but I am getting better and will gladly glue a part, walk away and resum another day. I do use 5 min epoxy in place of CA for fast settin none structureal detailing. It gives me a little more time to clamp then med or thick CA. I can see some day I will build more with yellow glue just for the slower more relaxed style of building then the instant fast moving CA building.

TB
Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 AM
bigbird3

Well said guys! Pretty much what I meant to say!LOL! I agree that the debating process is a good way to find out what everyone else is thinking and doing. That is how I learn too. One thing I meant to mention about five minute epoxy is that it makes a great fuel proofer. I will mix a batch and put equal amounts of rubbing alcohol. Remember, that is twice as much! Mix the epoxy before adding the alcohol then blend with a drill and wire. DON'T PUT THE WIRE IN A DREMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big mess!
I use it after covering is done. Any edges can be coated down. Firewalls, fuel and radio compartments too.

Thanks Tony for the 'impatient' description. It is appropriate for many builders including yours truly. Especially coming from the sixties when glue drying was like watching grass grow! We had twenty four hour epoxy back then! It's like these computers, Once you are use to the speed, anything else is just too sssssllllllloooooowwwww!
Well, Best wishes to all and I hope you got all the 'toys' you wanted. Here is the banding I was talking about earlier. Not sure if here on the build site.
Da bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2057662  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:41 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi guys having read most of your post I would like to add a my comments every glue has its application ware it is best, being an old Gezeer years ago I had an old cabinet maker tell me a story about glues and wood to get good glue penetration into the wood you should always add a bit of what ever solvent the glue base is made from and depending on the evaporation rate of that solvent, and just before it is gone add the glue as it tends to suck the glue into the wood. in his day there was no C/A's but I have found that by adding a tad of water to a joint before adding yellow/white or c/a's (nothing more than a wet brush swipe) gets a better bond and with most all epoxies I have added or used MEK's in the same way, and have never had a glue joint fail, The wood next to the joint has in many cases failed, when looking at the structure after a crash. That said the one exception is A/C grade ply with the smooth finish I generally scuff the surface with 100 grit paper be fore using with any glue.

For me this has worked for the past 65 years.

cheers Bob T
Old 12-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hi guys having read most of your post I would like to add a my comments every glue has its application ware it is best, being an old Gezeer years ago I had an old cabinet maker tell me a story about glues and wood to get good glue penetration into the wood you should always add a bit of what ever solvent the glue base is made from and depending on the evaporation rate of that solvent, and just before it is gone add the glue as it tends to suck the glue into the wood. in his day there was no C/A's but I have found that by adding a tad of water to a joint before adding yellow/white or c/a's (nothing more than a wet brush swipe) gets a better bond and with most all epoxies I have added or used MEK's in the same way, and have never had a glue joint fail, The wood next to the joint has in many cases failed, when looking at the structure after a crash. That said the one exception is A/C grade ply with the smooth finish I generally scuff the surface with 100 grit paper be fore using with any glue.

For me this has worked for the past 65 years.

cheers Bob T
Bob your old enough to remember the blood powder glue you mixed with water, in the old world fine furniture was glued with it and I used it as a kid, then Elmers came out and that was the end of that. For all I know blood glue may still be being used for laminating ply wood, it has the color of it.

Leroy
Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Leroy Gardner

I love Christmas but am always glad it's over. time to work on the plane again, "yeah", piece again!!!

All along it looked like there was plenty of room on the forward decks for all the stuff going in there, well that was before I started putting it up there, the room went fast. With the throttle servo, engine ignition and kill module there was no room for the battery I had hoped to put in there also.I had forgot to add space for the foam pads and had to add another set of slides tried to save as much room as possible for floor details. Fuel tanks shelf was filled up as well with no room to spare. Two 8 oz. tanks are the siphon type, I haven't figured out where to put the fuel fill yet, there is no place to hide it and I'm not doing any hatches that aren't on the real plane, there isn't much room left to work with. Batteries will go under the floor, I can get two of them side by side just ahead of CG, I will have to raise the floor 1/4" to do it, there will be wiring in there also. Next will come the servo mounts that go under the back seat for elevator and rudder, "then" the floor and all it's details, seats should be fun, not to mention all the rest of it, it just takes time

Leroy

Name:	IM000645.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	1,005.1 KB
ID:	2057965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000648.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2057966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000651.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2057967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000649.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2057968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000650.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2057969  
Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob your old enough to remember the blood powder glue you mixed with water, in the old world fine furniture was glued with it and I used it as a kid, then Elmers came out and that was the end of that. For all I know blood glue may still be being used for laminating ply wood, it has the color of it.

Leroy
I should be old enough, but I don't remember "blood" glue. My granddad used a powder that you mixed with water and had to use soon. But, I remember he called it "hide" glue or something like that. It was a light brown or tan color. It smelled bad also, but worked great. I am thinking some old kits included packets of it. Some glues he used had to be heated up(?) He built and raced full sized hydroplanes with hopped up Evinrude OBs. Also, I still have some NIB rubber powered kits that included Ambroid (long since dried up). Ambroid and Duco were the glue standards of my early building in the late 40s and 50s. Testors, including "hot fuel proof" came later.

Hoping everyone had a Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year. My best gift was a membership including initiation fee to the club where I am living now [no, not the funny farm (yet)].

sincerely, Richard
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM
pilotbum

To clarify, is that one part of alcohol to one part mixed epoxy (so 50/50 alcohol/epoxy) or one part alcohol to an equal part of each part of the resin (1/3, 1/3, 1/3)?

(sorry for the repeat, forgot to quote the post I had a question about and cant figure out how to delete a post)

Last edited by pilotbum; 12-27-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:20 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Well said guys! Pretty much what I meant to say!LOL! I agree that the debating process is a good way to find out what everyone else is thinking and doing. That is how I learn too. One thing I meant to mention about five minute epoxy is that it makes a great fuel proofer. I will mix a batch and put equal amounts of rubbing alcohol. Remember, that is twice as much! Mix the epoxy before adding the alcohol then blend with a drill and wire. DON'T PUT THE WIRE IN A DREMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big mess!
I use it after covering is done. Any edges can be coated down. Firewalls, fuel and radio compartments too.

Thanks Tony for the 'impatient' description. It is appropriate for many builders including yours truly. Especially coming from the sixties when glue drying was like watching grass grow! We had twenty four hour epoxy back then! It's like these computers, Once you are use to the speed, anything else is just too sssssllllllloooooowwwww!
Well, Best wishes to all and I hope you got all the 'toys' you wanted. Here is the banding I was talking about earlier. Not sure if here on the build site.
Da bird.
To clarify, is that one part alcohol to one part mixed epoxy (50/50 alcohol/epoxy) or one part ea of alcohol, resin and hardner (1/3, 1/3, 1/3)?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:37 AM
pilotbum

I love Christmas but am always glad it's over. time to work on the plane again, "yeah", piece again!!!

All along it looked like there was plenty of room on the forward decks for all the stuff going in there, well that was before I started putting it up there, the room went fast. With the throttle servo, engine ignition and kill module there was no room for the battery I had hoped to put in there also.I had forgot to add space for the foam pads and had to add another set of slides tried to save as much room as possible for floor details. Fuel tanks shelf was filled up as well with no room to spare. Two 8 oz. tanks are the siphon type, I haven't figured out where to put the fuel fill yet, there is no place to hide it and I'm not doing any hatches that aren't on the real plane, there isn't much room left to work with. Batteries will go under the floor, I can get two of them side by side just ahead of CG, I will have to raise the floor 1/4" to do it, there will be wiring in there also. Next will come the servo mounts that go under the back seat for elevator and rudder, "then" the floor and all it's details, seats should be fun, not to mention all the rest of it, it just takes time

Leroy
Leroy,
Can you explain the plumbing of your siphon arrangement on your tanks? How many clunks? Where? Etc...

Randy
Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Leroy Gardner

Randy the twin tank design is used a lot on jets which often have 3 tanks and the area you have to work with won't support one larger tank. The first tank, left side, is the primary tank fuel is drawn and filled from, the vent line of it crosses over to the second tank which has a clunk line on it like the first tank and then a vent line. When filling it works the same as a one tank system except the first vent line becomes a pickup line in the second tank, over flow fills the second tank and a vacuum caused in the first tank siphons it back to the first tank. Kinda simple when you think about it but it needs a fuel pumped engine to work like gas engines have.

Leroy
Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Leroy
I most certainly do and the nasty hot animal Glue.

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Zor
Banned

To clarify, is that one part of alcohol to one part mixed epoxy (so 50/50 alcohol/epoxy) or one part alcohol to an equal part of each part of the resin (1/3, 1/3, 1/3)?

(sorry for the repeat, forgot to quote the post I had a question about and cant figure out how to delete a post)
pilotbum,

You cannot yourself delete a post; it has to be done by people in authority in the forum.
You can edit your post by deleting all the text and the pictures and replace hem by at least three characters like 3 dots or any meaningless 3 characters.

Happy New Year.

Zor
Old 12-27-2014, 03:05 PM
TonyBuilder

The side saddle tank setup is a very good setup. Like Leroy mentioned it also fits better then one large tank in most cases. I size my tank so that in a normal (8-10 min) flight I only use the secondary tank. This provides a full tank that the engine draws from. Your clunk will never go dry this way. Then the primary tank that feeds the carb acts as my resurve.

TB
Old 12-27-2014, 03:57 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 PM
bigbird3

Leroy, I used a fuel dot and drilled out the center of the dot and put a fake fuel gage in it and mounted it where the fuel gage and cap goes. Can't seem to find any pictures of mine but use your imagination. It'll look good. Leave enough line to pull it to one side so fuel doesn't get in the plane.
bird.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Leroy, I used a fuel dot and drilled out the center of the dot and put a fake fuel gage in it and mounted it where the fuel gage and cap goes. Can't seem to find any pictures of mine but use your imagination. It'll look good. Leave enough line to pull it to one side so fuel doesn't get in the plane.
bird.
Did SuperCubs have the floating/cork style caps too? I thought it was just on the J3's. I thought the SuperCubs went to wing tanks.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 AM
pilotbum

Randy the twin tank design is used a lot on jets which often have 3 tanks and the area you have to work with won't support one larger tank. The first tank, left side, is the primary tank fuel is drawn and filled from, the vent line of it crosses over to the second tank which has a clunk line on it like the first tank and then a vent line. When filling it works the same as a one tank system except the first vent line becomes a pickup line in the second tank, over flow fills the second tank and a vacuum caused in the first tank siphons it back to the first tank. Kinda simple when you think about it but it needs a fuel pumped engine to work like gas engines have.

Leroy
Thanks for the explanation Leroy. I thought that's what you did but I guess my curiosity was if the pumps in the walbro carbs would be strong enough to siphon the fuel from one tank to another like that. I've never done it.

So, question on this... on dual tank systems like this is it at all common to have a gravity type system say with a second clunk and vent in the first tank and a single clunk and vent in the second tank so as you draw from the first tank, gravity will keep both tanks at the same level? Or even a single clunk and vent in each tank tied together with a T where your draw from so you're drawing from both tanks at the same time (like a full scale Cessna, for example) also keeping both tanks at approximately the same level by gravity? I'm just curious of the various ways of doing this and the benefits.

Randy
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
TonyBuilder

Randy, I first saw the duel tank setup from 3D planes/ pilots. The reasoning was to always have a full tank to draw from no mater what position the plane was in. You never have the chance of a dry clunk. If your just flying scale ptturn then this may not mater to you. Most do it in scale planes for space, you have more options as you can stack the tanks side by side vertically or flat depending on the space you have. I personally do it to have a full tank always, on a normal flight and the second tank is my resurve. Seen to many pilots dead stick (and crash) because they ran out of fuel.
I don't know how it would work having both clunks drawing the same time from both tanks as your vent on the main tank is tied to the clunk on the second tank. The second tank is your vent and overflow. For our modles I think either a single tank with one clunk on a T for filling and de-filling or a side saddle tank set with the main tank with the clunk to the carb on a T for filling, the vent going to the second tanks clunk and then venting out. Either one would be best for a model.

TB
Old 12-28-2014, 12:51 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 PM
TonyBuilder

Progress is moving along.

I got the right wing all setup with servos and linkages. I will install the wing struts so I can put the wings on next.

The fuselage is pretty much done short of some tweaking and detailing.

The door and window is all glued in.

The wing leads are strapped in and ready for the wing.

The matchboxs are strapped in, and I tided up as much as I could.

I will be able to see all the gear for inspections just with the door open, plus I can see the fuel tank too.

With the wheels on it balances neutral I will try and make a CG stand once the wings are on.

TB

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	2058516   Click image for larger version

Views:	276
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	2058517   Click image for larger version

Views:	232
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	2058518   Click image for larger version

Views:	267
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	2058519   Click image for larger version

Views:	339
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	2058520   Click image for larger version

Views:	285
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	2058521   Click image for larger version

Views:	245
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	2058522   Click image for larger version

Views:	260
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	2058523  

Click image for larger version

Views:	254
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	2058524   Click image for larger version

Views:	284
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	2058525  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:53 PM
bigbird3

You are right PB. Still have my bitty brain in the J-3!
My Bad!
Bad Bird!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.