Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pilotbum
Can someone explain to me the point of the "Brotherhoods". I'm somewhat ignorant on this. Is it just a group of like-minded, same plane flying guys? Just curious...
Yes, they are plane or kit specific. A place to discuss and show your planes, share what you have done and just hang with people that like what you like. Unlike a thread like this that is spicific to the build, on Brotherhood threads you can show all variations and kits of that type without incroching on a build thread.

TB
Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM
pilotbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Yes, they are plane or kit specific. A place to discuss and show your planes, share what you have done and just hang with people that like what you like. Unlike a thread like this that is spicific to the build, on Brotherhood threads you can show all variations and kits of that type without incroching on a build thread.

TB
Copy that. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:16 PM
bigbird3

Pilotbum, just think of the 'mustang' car club or my favorite, the '57 chevy' club. They more than likely consider themselves a 'brotherhood'. So, we are a brotherhood of cub lovers! And it is okay to be fickle and be of another brotherhood such as 'Mustang', corsair or sig and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you got it I'm sure.
bird.
How about the 'Grumman Duck' brotherhood? Well, you might be an only child in that case! hehe! Talk about being top in your class!!!! LOL!
Great looking plane by the way. Murphy's war with Peter O'toole? seen it?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:24 PM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Pilotbum, just think of the 'mustang' car club or my favorite, the '57 chevy' club. They more than likely consider themselves a 'brotherhood'. So, we are a brotherhood of cub lovers! And it is okay to be fickle and be of another brotherhood such as 'Mustang', corsair or sig and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you got it I'm sure.
bird.
How about the 'Grumman Duck' brotherhood? Well, you might be an only child in that case! hehe! Talk about being top in your class!!!! LOL!
Great looking plane by the way. Murphy's war with Peter O'toole? seen it?
Yea, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

LOL... Yea, I'd be a loner in there. Member#1, total membership, 1.

Funny thing is I'm getting ready to start a large 13' PBY build off a guy's plans from Iceland. I've found a guy who he and his father are jointly building one and he joked about starting a brotherhood in RCU but we'd be the only members.

Thanks for the compliment. I'd like to take all the credit but my father was the builder. He's a master builder in my eyes but final detail isn't his cup of tea. He's a Sport-scale kind of guy. Great craftsmanship, strong planes, well engineered (the re-engineering anyway). But he's not into the details such as panel lines, rivets, patina paint and so on. But all his builds fly great and bring a lot of enjoyment. If you see any videos of the thing flying that is probably me at the sticks. I think flying it still intimidates my dad a bit but it flies beautifully of the water--only been of a runway once.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 PM
pilotbum

And yes, I own a copy of Murphy's war. It also made plenty of appearances in the TV series BaaBaa Blacksheep.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone explain to me the point of the "Brotherhoods". I'm somewhat ignorant on this. Is it just a group of like-minded, same plane flying guys? Just curious...
Could be it's like a car club, archery club or a chess club mentality where you hang out, support and participate in their functions, same as belonging to an RC club flying all the different stuff that flies as well as building it.

On the internet it's a Brotherhood of , you said it, like-minded guys sharing their experiences regardless of how poorly we do that, I don't find it all that social because there is no real personal contact link. That could be the ax in the wood pile that wrecks the cart at some point, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing anymore, it's getting harder to find the reasons.

Leroy
Old 01-19-2015, 03:12 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Could be it's like a car club, archery club or a chess club mentality where you hang out, support and participate in their functions, same as belonging to an RC club flying all the different stuff that flies as well as building it.

On the internet it's a Brotherhood of , you said it, like-minded guys sharing their experiences regardless of how poorly we do that, I don't find it all that social because there is no real personal contact link. That could be the ax in the wood pile that wrecks the cart at some point, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing anymore, it's getting harder to find the reasons.

Leroy
I hate to hear you feeling like that Leroy. I think you might not ought to think about how much you are putting out for us to see but that you are putting out and will put out information on this build. It took me over 350 hours to build the AMR cub! The owner framed it up before I got it too! I logged every minute. As I have pointed out previously, a lot of the time spent on a project is just sitting there and thinking about it. I did that too and a lot of it! But, the detail and workmanship is incredible.............so I have been told. You can't just throw them together!
Please come out of your slump. We, I enjoy it just like it is. I also enjoy chatting with the guys here and interchanging ideas and techniques. Don't make me beat you up like this again...............buddy! LOL!
Now, go take a happy pill! By the way...................HOW ABOUT THOSE SEAHAWKS AND PATRIOTS???????????????????????? Boy! The Seahawks really pulled a rabbit out of the hat..............AYE?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:16 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 what he said.

TB
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Bob Howard
My Feedback: (2)

I lurk around on several build threads 2 to 3 times a day mostly to get ideas for future builds. I do not say much unless I have some input that might but most of the builder on these sights are way ahead of me. As you say the personal contact is not there but the wealth of information that is available on these sites is way more than you can get from a few people that you have personal contact with. This build and Roberts Pitts build are 2 of my favorite.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by Bob Howard
I lurk around on several build threads 2 to 3 times a day mostly to get ideas for future builds. I do not say much unless I have some input that might but most of the builder on these sights are way ahead of me. As you say the personal contact is not there but the wealth of information that is available on these sites is way more than you can get from a few people that you have personal contact with. This build and Roberts Pitts build are 2 of my favorite.
Do you have a link to "Roberts Pitts" build? I'd like to check it out.

My colleagues from work and I all live in different parts of the country and as one of them puts it, "can you imagine how much fun we'd have if we all lived in the same town?" I get the same impression from some of these boards... "If only all these fellas were in the same club and going to the same field every Saturday..."
Old 01-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Thanks bird, you just gave an example of what a long distance internet Brotherhood is, we don't know each other so we assume things taken out of context of what one may have said. I'm not going to hash this over again, a web site doesn't control my mood it only creates an impression which I respond to at times. Now this is where we need to be careful because it's easy to get the wrong impression at times and can print something that can offend another as I have done before while having no ill intent. So much for knowing each other.

"SLUMP" ! what is a slump, what kind of slump and what caused it ?, I got a kick out of that because I guess I never get into one. Hummm. I think a slump could be a guy wanting to do something but doesn't know how or he screws things up enough that he don't want to finish it which goes on a lot in RC plane building. Me, I'm happy as a lark in my shop building a airplane during the winter, I can talk to myself and never get any sass back and solve my own problems which never really were problems as well as work at whatever speed I want because I make the schedule. Now that's the way it should be for a retired guy with time on his hands and knows how to use it.

Shingles are scabbed over and things are looking up from that perspective so think I'll take another day off and go bum around some. "Seahawks, oh yeah", hard to believe they pulled that one off.

Leroy
Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 AM
joebahl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a link to "Roberts Pitts" build? I'd like to check it out.

My colleagues from work and I all live in different parts of the country and as one of them puts it, "can you imagine how much fun we'd have if we all lived in the same town?" I get the same impression from some of these boards... "If only all these fellas were in the same club and going to the same field every Saturday..."
Or to the same Lake :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2065421   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2065422  
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by joebahl
Or to the same Lake :-)
I like your idea better.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go PB, the first half has no pics for they were deleted by accident. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-s...s1-s-emhw.html Actually only the first 1/3 or so.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM
joebahl

I like your idea better.
Ha Ha i thought with a duck you would . There was a guy in my old club who built a giant duck and a couple other very LARGE land planes ,but i have not seen him fly it lately at and of our water funflys . Iam going to just watch this thread now and get back to building my winter prodjects so i can get some off of my bench . Bye all ! joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-19-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 AM
pilotbum

Ha Ha i thought with a duck you would . There was a guy in my old club who built a giant duck and a couple other very LARGE land planes ,but i have not seen him fly it lately at and of our water funflys . joe
Wonder if it was the same plans? The designer of these plans left a lot to be desired but it all worked out in the end. Our duck flies great! I think float flying is my favorite part of the hobby, especially since I've always had an affinity for flying boats... Hence the 13' PBY-5A build I'm about to embark on. That's why I'm studying Leo's work so closely... this will be my first scratch build and I'm scared. I may send Leo flowers and a cordial invitation to a thread for the build. I've never done one of those either but I'll be needing all the help I can get!

I'm also looking at a Grumman Goose I've recently found online... more of a sport-scale project, however...
Old 01-19-2015, 09:59 AM
joebahl

Wonder if it was the same plans? The designer of these plans left a lot to be desired but it all worked out in the end. Our duck flies great! I think float flying is my favorite part of the hobby, especially since I've always had an affinity for flying boats... Hence the 13' PBY-5A build I'm about to embark on. That's why I'm studying Leo's work so closely... this will be my first scratch build and I'm scared. I may send Leo flowers and a cordial invitation to a thread for the build. I've never done one of those either but I'll be needing all the help I can get!

I'm also looking at a Grumman Goose I've recently found online... more of a sport-scale project, however...
Look here some cool seaplanes but they are all electrict ,videos scroll down for them . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 PM
pilotbum

Look here some cool seaplanes but they are all electric ,videos scroll down for them . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
Thanks! Some pretty cool planes. I still haven't dabbled into the electrics. I'm afraid of LiPo's. I know one guys who almost lost his house due to a LiPo catching fire in middle of the night hours after it was used/charged. I know another guy who lost his house and EVERYTHING he owns due to a LiPo fire in his garage that started in just a couple of minutes of being unattended, by the time he returned it was too late and the fire department wouldn't go near it because there was an acetylene bottle close by. House, cars, RV... everything--gone. Then another friend who stopped at the gas station on the way home from the field--went in to pay for gas and when he came back out his car was in flames. Destroyed.

I'll stick to gasoline for now...
Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I like the Duck they are one of those rare creatures you see so little it has a lot of wow factor. I think it has a lot more eye appeal than say a Brewster Buffalo and maybe even a Dornier D1.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I like the Duck they are one of those rare creatures you see so little it has a lot of wow factor. I think it has a lot more eye appeal than say a Brewster Buffalo and maybe even a Dornier D1.
Guess that's why plans were so hard to find!

There's actually a guy who has drawn a set of 1/4 scale Duck plans but they won't be available until his prototype has flown. I don't think he's touched that build in a couple of years. There's a thread on it (not nearly as detailed as this one) on RCSB. Someday hopefully he gets it done and the plans available.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 AM
joebahl

Thanks! Some pretty cool planes. I still haven't dabbled into the electrics. I'm afraid of LiPo's. I know one guys who almost lost his house due to a LiPo catching fire in middle of the night hours after it was used/charged. I know another guy who lost his house and EVERYTHING he owns due to a LiPo fire in his garage that started in just a couple of minutes of being unattended, by the time he returned it was too late and the fire department wouldn't go near it because there was an acetylene bottle close by. House, cars, RV... everything--gone. Then another friend who stopped at the gas station on the way home from the field--went in to pay for gas and when he came back out his car was in flames. Destroyed.

I'll stick to gasoline for now...
Yea i store and charge my lipos in old army ammo cases and they are kept safe . I think alot of lipo fires happen because guys forget them while charging or they are not charged right before putting them away .I always have mine charging while iam there in my shop and dont leave or forget them. Electrict is the best thing for multi motor rc planes and yes i flew nitro /gas for 35 years . It use to down right suck when a nitro motor went out on one of my 40 size old P-38s , it would never happen with electrict . joe
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
pilotbum

Yea i store and charge my lipos in old army ammo cases and they are kept safe . I think alot of lipo fires happen because guys forget them while charging or they are not charged right before putting them away .I always have mine charging while iam there in my shop and dont leave or forget them. Electrict is the best thing for multi motor rc planes and yes i flew nitro /gas for 35 years . It use to down right suck when a nitro motor went out on one of my 40 size old P-38s , it would never happen with electrict . joe

TWINS are definitely where electrics are awesome--no doubt about it. I have one LiPo and it is in an ammo can as well. The guy I mentioned who lost everything lost it all while charging. My understanding is he put it on the charger and walked away for only a couple minutes. I mean, how bad can things get in that short of a time frame, right? Well, apparently pretty bad! Above his bench was where a couple of his models were hanging, next to it the acetylene tank... He didn't even discover it. The neighbor across the street noticed it first and called the fire department.

I'm the first to admit I'm totally ignorant on the things. For example, until your post I had no clue you should store them fully charged. Why's that? But what I do know is they introduce a higher degree of risk that can only begin to be mitigated by knowledge and education which I have little of and haven't begun to learn. So until I do I'll be staying away. Someday I'll go there...

I've found a build in Sweden of the same large PBY I'm beginning that the guy is doing in electric. Those are going to have to be some large motors and big, huge, expensive LiPos! He says he's doing it that way so he can keep the motors fully enclosed in the cowls. As it stands for me and my current plans, I'll have a huge cylinder hanging out the bottom. It will be somewhat unsightly but hopefully the rest of the plane will make up for those eye sores. Or maybe by the time I have to make a decision on it I'll have been bitten by the electric bug...
Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Leroy Gardner

Here we go again, time for some of you to go back to post # 534 and read the first line. I'm going to try and be nice about this and ask that this off subject sea plane line go some where else. It's enough just trying to keep the CUB build alive, I don't need the other on it, Show some respect and we will all get along fine.

Leroy
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Here we go again, time for some of you to go back to post # 534 and read the first line. I'm going to try and be nice about this and ask that this off subject sea plane line go some where else. It's enough just trying to keep the CUB build alive, I don't need the other on it, Show some respect and we will all get along fine.

Leroy
Ok Leroy and sorry ,back to your build . joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.