Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry.

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
If I remember correctly I never got Chickenpox so I wonder if that means I'll dodge the Shingles bullet?

I love the discussion on cable systems for ailerons, very interesting reading.
OKC, If I am not mistaken, and I often am, if you have never had the chickenpox, you still can get it! Pretty mean thing to have at a later age. You might check into it.
bird.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I'll check with the old saw bones office and see what he says. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Censored

Last edited by John_M_; 02-04-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by John_M_
Bird is right... the only way you are at risk of getting shingles is if you get the chickenpox first... then the chickenpox virus will lie dormant once your body's immune system fights it off, but the now dormant virus CAN mutate into the shingles virus and emerges later in your life... many who have had chickenpox, don't always get shingles, it all depends on what happens within the immune system during your initial exposure to the chickenpox virus... Like I said earlier, there is a shingles vaccine that will greatly reduce the chances of getting shingles, but because shingles is a mutated chickenpox virus, the shingles vaccine only inoculates one to that particular virus strain, not including the chickenpox virus; that was my understanding when it was discussed with my doctor.

If we didn't have all these undocumented immigrants infiltrating the US, I don't think it would be an issue, but most of these immigrants slipping past immigration haven't been vaccinated, so we're seeing more and more out breaks of the measles, TB, Pox, etc... I've never had the chickenpox, but I don't think I'm at a high risk of being exposed to someone with chickenpox, so for now I'm passing on the shingles vaccine.

John M,
It's not just the immigrants you have a lot of well educated American born people not bothering to vaccinate their kids for measles, Polio, etc. The believe the old discredited false rumor it causes Autism (probably came from the same morons that spread the rumor AIDS was an American plot to wipe out Africans). They are directly responsible for the reemergence of Polio and the Measles! The heart break is not one of these kids would have to be handicapped for life or die if their idiot parents would have just vaccinated them!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:35 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's not just the immigrants you have a lot of well educated American born people not bothering to vaccinate their kids for measles, Polio, etc. The believe the old discredited false rumor it causes Autism (probably came from the same morons that spread the rumor AIDS was an American plot to wipe out Africans). They are directly responsible for the reemergence of Polio and the Measles! The heart break is not one of these kids would have to be handicapped for life or die if their idiot parents would have just vaccinated them!
Please forgive me OKC, it is not my intention to inflame anyone, well, except for that guy that twisted off this site the other day! LOL! BUT, there's always a BUT, It is just as much their right to choose how they will raise their family and what they will except as their way of doing things. Much like you and me, I'll bet, and I'm not a betting man, but, I'll bet no one is going to tell you how you aught to do things or how you worship, if you do or if you don't, or, and here is a very important point, or that what you think strongly about is absolutely wrong or that you are a moron for thinking that, what ever it is. And, I feel the same way and I feel strongly that most if not all here on this site feels the same! Now, that is not to say I condone or do not condone much of what you or others have said about these things but I reserve the right, as you do, to invoke the constitution of these united states because that is what all that have fought and died for did fight and die for, and many lived on to enjoy these inalienable rights we have. It's kind of like 'like it or lump it' in a way. I fought and didn't die and live to enjoy these rights no matter what anyone thinks but I will never let them cause harm to anyone else if I can help it. It all boils down to 'do what you think is right' and try not to hurt anyone else.
Now, there are probably many holes you can shoot in my opinion but it is my opinion and few may agree with me but you are in the same boat, or in the boat next to mine.
So, It is unfortunate that things play out as they do but they will, no matter what or how you or I think! A good friend told me many years ago, 'when ever you draw a line in the sand, you have to spend time and energy defending it. Make sure it is important enough to draw that line.
Politics, religion, race, sexual preference and many other things are not something we can control! We as individuals are the only things that we can control!
Well, I guess I'll get off my soap box. Please, just remember I like you and all the others here. well, most of you..........except for that guy...............that twisted off..........hehe!

HOW BOUT THAT SUPER CUB LEROY'S BUILDING?
BIRD.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Bird, no harm, no foul! I think may be misconstruing something by my tone. I'm sure some disease is carried in by poor illegal immigrants, the very nature of the way they are transported into this country is a breading ground for the spread of Tuberculosis and other communicable diseases. They are poor and by inlarge healthcare is rare and by in large unattainable. I place the fault for the immigration problem not on the immigrants but on the government and those who hire them. Start enforcing the laws against the employers, not the illegals, increase fines to something like $100K and 5 years hard labor for the owners, or in the case of corporations CEO, COO, and CFO, per illegal employee. After the courts bankrupt a couple of companies along with long jail terms for the owner or executives. You wont see illegals coming after that because there will be no jobs they can get. If its not worth the cost or hiring them businesses won't. We had a local manufacturing company that was hiring illegals years ago (my cousin worked there) but after he got raided 2 or 3 times and the loss of workforce caused him to default on some big contracts he wouldn't hire them. The money he loss far out stripped any labor costs savings. When politicians say they want to stop illegal immigration the are just paying lip service to the problem they have no will to fix it. It would cost them too much to do so.

No, what raise my blood pressure is the number of kids who get sick because when their sorry excuse for parents could have prevented it by get them immunized! We had Polio and a host of other childhood diseases to the point of eradication before these idiots started skipping their kids shots based on halfbaked ideas without a shred of credible evidence. In the news they were talking about California has a large area that is a hot bed of Measles in above average income families all due because the parents didn't vaccinate. That is what really pi$$e$ me off!

But enough venting! We won't solve the nation's problem here so I guess we better go back to discussing airplanes! The workmanship Leroy is putting in is fantastic, second to none! I know a lot of guys say everyone has a Cub but how often do you see something like this one will turn out? Myself I like something a little rare, something you don't see at the field but I still own a J-3 Cub, granted its bright yellow not Cub yellow and will soon have CAP insignia on it but it still a full length wingspan Cub and I have a Clipped Wing kit in my stash. There just something about a Cub!

Mike
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM
bigbird3

Politics= Poli-tics= Many-blood sucking parasites!
I'm just sayin.
bird
Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1 on both the above post

Cheers
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Politics= Poli-tics= Many-blood sucking parasites!
I'm just sayin.
bird
+1 Bird!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I've been doing some research on rib stitching and edge tape etc. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow or is each aircraft done differently? Can someone shine some light on the subject with respect to the Super Cub? Where to rib stitch, where to use edge tape, pinked or straight etc

Many thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

What scale?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Hughes500E

1/4 scale Balsa USA J3 to Super Cub ;-)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hughes

If you are using the plan or the full scale spacing pinked tape was used on all ribs (distance between stiches if my memory is correct it was 1 1/8) straight tape was used to the best of my experience only tp cover the longerons and frame all tapes used on the out side of the covering had to be pinked. But then I only worked in the fabric shop for 2 seasons during collage and that was back in the early 50's.

Hope this helps

Cheers bob T
Old 01-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Hughes500E

Thanks guys,
Leroy do the trailing edges have parimeter pinked tape as well and what would be the best material for the access inspection rings? I was thinking cardboard rings rather than plastic!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Hughes500E

I spent a number of hours searching for full scale finishing etc. I typed super cub stitching in google and found this right away.

http://thecubden.org/thecubden/paint...itch-placement
Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Hughes500E
I've been doing some research on rib stitching and edge tape etc. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow or is each aircraft done differently? Can someone shine some light on the subject with respect to the Super Cub? Where to rib stitch, where to use edge tape, pinked or straight etc

Many thanks
Hughs, one thing I found when reworking a full size stearman, the stitches are closer within the prop span. They were one inch full cord. As you got out of the prop span they were one inch so far back and then two and a half or so to the trailing edge. I suppose the contrast of stitching is somewhat the same on most fabric covered planes.
Someone chime in if I am mistaken.
thanks
bird.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Hi Hughes, for starters I have a lot of pictures and have looked at a lot of super cubs dating several years. First of all the pinked tape is all over the plane ranging from 2" to 4", even 3" on tail perimeters and wing tips, flap and ailerons leading edges and 4" on the leading edge of wings. Stitching tapes are 2" as well as stringer overlays on fuselage. Rib stitch tape runs all the way around ribs, not just where the stitches are, on tail surfaces put the stitch tape on before the perimeter binding tape. Stitches are not perfectly spaced at 3" and can be as much as 4" here and there so from a scale stand point 5/8" spacing looks good on 1/4 scale and 3/4" spacing on a 1/3 scale with a mix of some random ones as needed. Other words they are not perfect. For examples you could Google rib stitching on a super cub.

A couple of examples of stitching I did on a 1/4 scale plane might help get a better idea.
Leroy, how did you apply the stitching? One at a time or multiples? I have a method that is pretty quick and easy and lays the whole rib at one time!
I have some pic's showing the process.
bird.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
bird making the stitches was not hard, using the nail board and ironing the Solartex on the threads which were cut with a rotary cutter 1/8" wide and stitch tapes were 1/2" wide. For the cub I will use a bit smaller thread, pictures are of the first time I have done this on my Spacewalker which ended up getting an award as Best Civilian Plane at the first scale meet it was in.

Stitches and tapes were put on with a covering iron and I know you can buy this stuff but what fun is that when you can make it as good or better than what is out there to get your money
Slick boy! I mean Leroy, hehe! Same idea here but using carpet tape with the backing still on it and lacing the string back and forth, cut it and stick and then peal the backing off. I had to put waxed paper on the glue side after so I could cut it and then peal it off witch was a 'female dog' sometimes especially if you left it on over night. I didn't have to iron it on just the pinked tape. By the way, I used a light string for stitching on my friends BUSA third scale Stearman and it all but disappeared! I used kite string on my pawnee in my Gallery and it turned out really nice. A bit big but if unraveled and made a nice rendition.

BTW, where can I get one of those pinking machines? Does it come with different scale pinking wheels? And most importantly, how much are they?
thanks
bird,.

Last edited by bigbird3; 01-30-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Leroy Gardner

sorry

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.