Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a scale 1/4 scale Super Cub from Balsa J3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
If you mean the spring on the end of the dummy cable on the top wing aileron control ?, it keeps tension on the cable at all times and when done it will look like the one in the picture, still a little to do to it yet, it's all that going scale thing, you won't even see the flap push rod, it's just like the big boy. One thing for sure it's a lot easier to build this thing by following the plans, I just can't leave well enough alone, there's a good chance I'll have a stand alone plane when it's done, kinda what I'm after.

Leroy
No the one on the bottom at the second rib in from the tip

cheers Bob T
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 AM
rt3232

LoL, whats that you're standing on Bird... you better get off before you fall and hurt yourself.

John M,[/QUOTE]

John_M

I cant fall any farther as every time I think I have done a great job, I run into another builder that has done it better, or simpler. Now I have a file drawr full of print out on ideas and pictures to remind me there are all ways better ways

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Bob, that's the fun part of building, trying something new is more rewarding then just copying what somene els did, for me.....not that that's a bad thing, I just like finding new and unusuwal ways of doing the build, like my CF sub skines. I don't think anyone is doing or has done that. I am glade that others will use my methods as this is what build threads are about.

TB
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 AM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

h
Originally Posted by rt3232
LoL, whats that you're standing on Bird... you better get off before you fall and hurt yourself.

John M,

John_M

I cant fall any farther as every time I think I have done a great job, I run into another builder that has done it better, or simpler. Now I have a file drawr full of print out on ideas and pictures to remind me there are all ways better ways

Cheers Bob T[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jophn M, I can always count on you to keep me where I belong! LOL!

Bob T, I know what you mean, I was raised on the fact that no matter where you go, there is always someone better than you. Just a fact of life! The good book tells us to treat others as if they were superior to you even though they may not be. It keeps your thinking humble. Not always easy! Ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun!
bird.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Leroy Gardner

[ long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Leroy Gardner

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM
bigbird3

o fly

I been to a few scale meets (with a masters coming up in June) and was surprised at the number of planes entered that weren't even close to scale in details, beautiful unfinished planes that made me wonder why they were entered in the first place, anyway I made up my mind to build scale and go to the meets because it was them guys that seen my planes and said I'm a master builder making me better than most of them, Well maybe so but I'm just doing my own thing and have no ladder to fall off of.

Engine is under warranty and I should have a RL in my e-mail to send it to Great Planes warranty service, they'll fix or replace it, "Yeah".

Leroy

I know what you mean Leroy about wanting to go to meets to show your stuff and I know what it's like to be called a master builder. I try to think of it as if they don't know what they are talking about or that they just haven't seen these guys at top gun or what ever. A friend of mine back in the late nineties wanted me to fly his 100" pylon racing mustang with a 150 CC gocart engine in it with a 32X70 prop! I agreed but after a while I got to thinking about how much it was an ego trip it was on my part! So I respectfully declined. I mean, we all want recognition from our piers and all of their encouraging remarks and bantering about how we aught to do it, well, then what, when that wears off? What's next? Bigger? Better? More money more time? All of a sudden you are wrapped up in the 'spirit' of things and then all of a sudden you have attained the NUBER ONE position in the country or world! Now where do you go? And, in fact, who likes you now? Greed and jealousy, envy, puffed up with pride! Some of these guys are some of the biggest baby's, back stabbers and *****holes you will ever meet! And you, or I could be putting ourselves in line to be the next one to come around!
By that time, everybody thinks you're an egotictical *******! All that work just to loose your close friends and anyone else looking on.
I have a chance now to be invited to Top Gun through a friend who know a guy that can get it for me, but I wouldn't do it for love or money. I'm happy here where I am.
Sometimes it works out just fine for some and everything I've said is crap! Doing a self examination is the most difficult thing anyone can do or is willing to do, and most won't, but if you will do it and see if you have the personality and temper to participate in such a thing, then by all means, go for it but be willing to accept the other end of the stick, the crappy one, and ask you self if it would be worth the heart ache!
Oh, here's one for ya, try to help a lot of guys at the field. Even though you know what you are doing most all of the time, enveriably, someone or many others will start calling you a 'know it all'! We love to help others and it's not in our nature to just sit and watch them struggle. YOU PICKIN UP WHAT I'M LAYIN DOWN? You can't seem to win no matter what you do.............or don't do!
Justs the thoughts of some dummie out here.,
Been there , done it!
bird.,
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbird3
o fly

I know what you mean Leroy about wanting to go to meets to show your stuff and I know what it's like to be called a master builder. I try to think of it as if they don't know what they are talking about or that they just haven't seen these guys at top gun or what ever. A friend of mine back in the late nineties wanted me to fly his 100" pylon racing mustang with a 150 CC gocart engine in it with a 32X70 prop! I agreed but after a while I got to thinking about how much it was an ego trip it was on my part! So I respectfully declined. I mean, we all want recognition from our piers and all of their encouraging remarks and bantering about how we aught to do it, well, then what, when that wears off? What's next? Bigger? Better? More money more time? All of a sudden you are wrapped up in the 'spirit' of things and then all of a sudden you have attained the NUBER ONE position in the country or world! Now where do you go? And, in fact, who likes you now? Greed and jealousy, envy, puffed up with pride! Some of these guys are some of the biggest baby's, back stabbers and *****holes you will ever meet! And you, or I could be putting ourselves in line to be the next one to come around!
By that time, everybody thinks you're an egotictical *******! All that work just to loose your close friends and anyone else looking on.
I have a chance now to be invited to Top Gun through a friend who know a guy that can get it for me, but I wouldn't do it for love or money. I'm happy here where I am.
Sometimes it works out just fine for some and everything I've said is crap! Doing a self examination is the most difficult thing anyone can do or is willing to do, and most won't, but if you will do it and see if you have the personality and temper to participate in such a thing, then by all means, go for it but be willing to accept the other end of the stick, the crappy one, and ask you self if it would be worth the heart ache!
Oh, here's one for ya, try to help a lot of guys at the field. Even though you know what you are doing most all of the time, enveriably, someone or many others will start calling you a 'know it all'! We love to help others and it's not in our nature to just sit and watch them struggle. YOU PICKIN UP WHAT I'M LAYIN DOWN? You can't seem to win no matter what you do.............or don't do!
Justs the thoughts of some dummie out here.,
Been there , done it!
bird.,
You know bird, you said a lot there... not just the number of words, but how they come across... as if some haven't grown up, or seem offended by others abilities... I know I can come across as a "know it all" at times, but I don't know anything except what I have experience in my 64 years of living... age builds a knowledge base, but it doesn't mean you know everything... there's a lot I do know, but at the risk of being ridiculed, I keep to myself... sometimes it just pays to sit back and just be an observer... I'd rather have the friendship, than anything.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 03-02-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

If it makes you feel any better John you never offended me. I rather like it when some one else comes up with a better idea!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, not going to be long winded Uh-Hmmm. I build what I want, when I want, and how I want and if others enjoy the ride fantastic. More often than not on these threads I learn far more than I could ever teach. In a way these threads are far superior to any event such as Top Gun, here we have hundreds if not thousands critiquing our work, TG there are four to six.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by John_M_
You know bird, you said a lot there... not just the number of words, but how they come across... as if some haven't grown up, or seem offended by other abilities... I know I can come across as a "know it all" at times, but I don't know anything except what I have experience in my 64 years of living... age builds a knowledge base, but it doesn't mean you know everything... there's a lot I do know, but at the risk of being ridiculed, I keep to myself... sometimes it just pays to sit back and just be an observer... I'd rather have the friendship, than anything.

John M,
Well sald my friend! It is a difficult thing for sure. I recently coined a frase; I don't know everything, but, I know everything else.
Oh lord it's hard to be humble when you're............................sorry, got carried away!
bird.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

The wise man knows to seek advise and to treasure the gift found with in!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Leroy Gardner

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:39 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
If it makes you feel any better John you never offended me. I rather like it when some one else comes up with a better idea!
Well thank you FlyerInOKC... I don't know if my ideas are any better, but I do start with something I learned from someone else and make it work for my use.... "great things come from the many"... as the more minds come together, greater things can be accomplished... if we work together, we can solve many problems, but if we work alone, or against each other, the lesser is accomplished, and the more problems we create.

My Dad use to tell us when we were growing up "Appreciate each other, and all shall be rewarded"

John M,
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
rt3232

Originally Posted by acerc
Well, not going to be long winded Uh-Hmmm. I build what I want, when I want, and how I want and if others enjoy the ride fantastic. More often than not on these threads I learn far more than I could ever teach. In a way these threads are far superior to any event such as Top Gun, here we have hundreds if not thousands critiquing our work, TG there are four to six.
Robert you said a mouth full and it is so tru, not only that TG boys are to clickish for me, and that is why I have a file drawer full of info/pic's on the things (birds) I like .

cheers Bob T
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by John_M_
Well thank you FlyerInOKC... I don't know if my ideas are any better, but I do start with something I learned from someone else and make it work for my use.... "great things come from the many"... as the more minds come together, greater things can be accomplished... if we work together, we can solve many problems, but if we work alone, or against each other, the lesser is accomplished, and the more problems we create.

My Dad use to tell us when we were growing up "Appreciate each other, and all shall be rewarded"

John M,
Your dad was a wise man!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Leroy Gardner

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 PM
John_M_

John they are suppose to be 1/4 scale (turnbuckles) with right & left hand threads to boot, they will need to be wire tied. I find something rewarding for myself building this plane with the scale features, it's what makes it scale in the first place. It isn't hard for me but parts of it has it's challenges, you look at something and say, how the hell you going to do that but you figure a way. This plane has a lot of them and I'm on top of them at this point and feeling good about it.

Leroy
Those turnbuckles you have looks the right size, they look to be Dubro's... if you want some really nice turnbuckles, proctor-enterprises has some... the piper cub full scale turnbuckle have a barrel length of just a bit over 3" inches... the ones shown on proctor's site, in the middle row... turnbuckles #5 eye-eye, and #5c eye-clevis have a barrel length of 0.775" inches... they don't have the exact shape of the original piper turnbuckle barrel, but they are nice... you can get them with stainless eyes and clevises as well.

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...rnbuckles1.htm

The #3 and #3C turnbuckles, would represent a 2 1/2" inch full scale short turnbuckle barrel... there's only 0.100" (3/32") difference in length between the #3 and the #5C turnbuckles.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 03-03-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was slapped in the mouth when I was 5 yr's old for saying can't, I thought it was a bad word and turns out it was and still is, my dad was a wise man, lucky for me, turned me into a real smart ass. Ha ha.
My engine is on it's way to Great Planes service center at no cost to me, they will find the bug, "yeah".

Leroy
You're lucky, I can only blame myself for being a smart ass. Can't beat that Great Planes customer service! They have always been more than fair with me!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Leroy Gardner

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM
John_M_

Yes, the ones you have are Dubro's... those are 1/4 scale.... I've seen various sizes use on the Full sized cubs... the 4" barrels are a bit long for the ailerons on the full sized cub... the most common used is the 2.5" short barrel, so both the Dubro and Proctor turnbuckles are right on the money... the thing I like about the proctor turnbuckles are the ones with the eye on one end, and the clevis on the other.

The threads on the proctor's are 1-64, so that would be an issue for the push rods you're using on the bottom side... but you could make your own thread rods... the Dubro's work well with the 4-40 control rod though... anyways just thought I'd let you know about the proctor turnbuckles, so you know there are other choices out there.

I'll probably go with the 5C's on the rudder, and the 3C's on the ailerons with the stainless ends... I want to try and simulate the aileron control cable that runs down the back side of the front strut, but finding a simplified way so its not a chore assembling things at the field.

John M,
Old 03-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Leroy Gardner

long gone

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
John_M_

Well since you have the H9 struts, you can put a small pulley off the strut mounting bolt and then run a piece of pull pull cable from the fuse, up and through the pulley and into the wing terminated to another spring... that would be a simple way of simulating the aileron cable, it would be static of course... you could also silver solder a short piece of brass tube to the end of the jury strut mounting strap and push a piece of plastic tube inside the brass tube to simulate the cable guide bushing.... lots neat things to do.

I like the sullivan metal gold-n-clevises, either in 2-56 or 4-40... or if you want black, the Dubro's spring steel kwik link clevises, in 2-56 or 4-40... but I found that the bubro's have a tendency to break right at the threaded barrel... the rigging couplers from Dubro I like, they're not bulky and have a clean look with the pull pull cables installed... that's what I use on my weekend flyers... but on the sig j3, I'm going to go with the turnbuckles and try to add as much of the little details as I can, within reason... that's my therapy project, something I can escape to and get my mind off the weeks grueling routine.

John M,
Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Leroy Gardner

long gone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000769.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2078895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000770.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	2078896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000771.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	884.1 KB
ID:	2078897  

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 03-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.