Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sanding my Sig 4 Star 60...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sanding my Sig 4 Star 60...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
jeff4912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanding my Sig 4 Star 60...

I have some CA that is on my wing spars in a few places and I have sanded it smooth.

My question is, do I need to sand down to the wood for the Ultracote to adhere to the plane, or will it be okay to have a couple small spots of sanded smooth CA when I cover?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to sand to bare wood, the Ultracote will adhere just fine. Since the cured CA is harder than balsa, and attempt to sand it completely away is likely to remove a lot of surrounding balsa wood. If the edge if the CA spot is thick enough to catch your fingernail, you might want to lightly feather it a bit to prevent a bump from appearing when you shrink down the covering, but that's the most I would do.

Al
Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM
jeff4912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
No need to sand to bare wood, the Ultracote will adhere just fine. Since the cured CA is harder than balsa, and attempt to sand it completely away is likely to remove a lot of surrounding balsa wood. If the edge if the CA spot is thick enough to catch your fingernail, you might want to lightly feather it a bit to prevent a bump from appearing when you shrink down the covering, but that's the most I would do.

Al
Thanks Al, good info and much appreciated.

Will make it a bit easier to prepare.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff4912

I have some CA that is on my wing spars in a few places and I have sanded it smooth.

My question is, do I need to sand down to the wood for the Ultracote to adhere to the plane, or will it be okay to have a couple small spots of sanded smooth CA when I cover?
jeff4912,

The first applicaton of CA on wood penetrates in the wood and does not leave any raise in the surface.

If it has raised the wood grain a bit then the sanding smooth as you did is just fine.
Sanding to bare wood would involve sanding down to the penetration level of the CA glue and leave an unwanted depression that would have to be filled.

The ultracote will adhere properly. Any glue used for the covering will work fine at CA spots.

Have fun and satisfaction finishing your model.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 11-10-2014 at 10:42 PM.