Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Morrisey Bravo Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Morrisey Bravo Build

Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
smithfj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raptureboy, sorry to hear about your field. That's a bummer for sure. Hope you have good luck finding another one. I'm afraid a lot of us are keeping our fingers crossed hoping we don't lose ours.
Vincent , have a great Christmas and future wedding too. Will be great to see you building again. My Bravo is all covered and about ready for paint. I do want to get all the hinging done before spring and a few touch ups here and there before this Maine winter and spring looses their grip and I can get outside to paint. You guys have a great and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hopefully good tidings will come our way next year.
Frank
Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Vince, glad to see your still alive and well and life is treating you well. Our landlord passed away a couple of years ago and now his daughter has taken control and she has restricted our flying so much that it became untenable to stay. We are just now getting going on looking for a new place but it's not easy, farmland is at a premium and most landowners don't want to be bothered. There is a superfund site not far away and we are waiting to hear from the EPA to see if it is suitable. Take care.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another good man bites the dust but it might be gold dust. Vince savor that special moment when you say I do and then get back on your build. We miss you and will be glad when your back. "Happy days are here again, isn't that a song", yeah!

Leroy
Old 12-14-2015, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Ahhh Carson and Butts field. I was a rotor head there back in 74 1/10 air cav Buffalo Soldiers, Ready and Forward SIR!
That wasn't the first Calvary unit in the FT. Carson area by the way. There was a Army mule barn in Colorado Springs pre-WWII. My father enlisted in 8/40 and was stationed there for his initial training and broke horses/mules for the first year. He transferred to the Air Corps and went to Lowery in early 42 for flight training and ended up becoming an armorer when they got enough officers thru flight school. He was stamped "Essential personnel when he got to the pacific and was ineligible for rotation until VJ day. They offered him 1 Lieutenant bars to stay in but he had enough of the Army and told them exactly where to put those bars!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Leroy, looking forward to getting back...wonder if I'll remember how to build again???

House is coming along, alot of work already done, more yet to go...Donna, dosen't need any work, she's perfect just the way she is...
Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
raptureboy

1st squadron 10th cav was an all black unit back in the 1800's and were called buffalo soldiers by the indians because of their hair texture and the fact that they fought like a cornered buffalo. The unit is a light armoured/infantry scout unit with a helicopter company of hueys, cobras, and observation birds during vietnam. Known as the Eyes and the Ears of the 4th division it was our job to probe the enemy ahead of the rest of the division. I was assigned as a crew chief on a Huey.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Thanks Leroy, looking forward to getting back...wonder if I'll remember how to build again???

House is coming along, alot of work already done, more yet to go...Donna, dosen't need any work, she's perfect just the way she is...
Shucks your going to have to remember where you stashed it, before you have to worry about building on it again, then there's the cob webs hiding the warped wings, "oh no", not the warp pains. I surely hope not, knowing you they were well cared for. Anyway it will be fun having you back and add some spark to these pages.

Leroy
Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Looking great! Have in the shop waiting.
Tom.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 AM
raptureboy

Hey Vincent, I hope you're doing well and haven't forgotten us. I was up your way this summer again and thought about you as I was going through your area. We found a new field at a full scale private airstrip and it is absolutely beautiful. Even better than the old one as there are no trees, and has a large pond for float flying also. Take care.

Cliff
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM
VincentJ

Hey Cliff,

I have NOT forgotten about any of you...I wish you had given me a gingle when you were up here so we could have seen each other! I had decided to put all of my hobbies on hold and get most of all the work done around the homestead first. To date I have ripped out the entire kitchen (walls and floor) and replaced the entire sub floor in preparation for the ceramic tiles that I laid down. A new kitchen was installed, which also required some windows to be removed as well as others replaced, electrical work and a fair amount of plumbing be done. That led to reshingling the front and side of the house. Paint was done inside and out as well.

Believe it or not I have now started to work on my new workshop! That means when it is completed I can resume the work on my Bravo!!! I have not flown any of my planes at all, and that has bothered me quite a bit. My wife has encouraged me all this time to take some time off and go fly. Soooo, I am getting there slowly...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

VJ, you have been so industrious it's sickening! Any progress to report on the shop? Pictures maybe?

Mike
Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
VincentJ

Mike, I'll post some before and after shots of the kitchen as well as a before photo of the workwhop. I only just started the work in there.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well good luck I hope you get the shop just the way you want it!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:33 AM
raptureboy

Good to know your still alive and kicking. I know that feeling about getting deep into a project and not coming up for air. My first love is skiing and when I built our house through the winter my wife had to push me to get out and take a day off and go skiing. She was right, I needed it. So take a day off and get out with your flying buds and get some stick time. Sorry I didn't get to visit this time we were on a tight schedule trying to coordinate all my family members to meet at my brothers for a reunion. Next time up I promise to bring a plane and go flying with you.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 AM
TCampbell

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
So take a day off and get out with your flying buds and get some stick time.
Good advice...
Old 09-07-2016, 01:32 PM
VincentJ

Will do Cliff, looking forward to the visit. when you get here you may need to teach me how to fly again, LOL...

Hey Tim, see you got a new bird on the table!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM
TCampbell

Well, a new bird in queue. I had to unpack the new kit to smell the laser scent.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by TCampbell
Well, a new bird in queue. I had to unpack the new kit to smell the laser scent.
So what is it? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:53 AM
TCampbell

Well, since you asked... It's a 60" Grumman F8F Bearcat designed for electric by Derek Micko (D-Rock on RCG) and the short kit was cut by Manzano Laser Works. I had unboxed the kit to admire, but I really need to finish up a build that has languished for several years before I start this one. We'll see how long my resolve lasts.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by TCampbell
Well, since you asked... It's a 60" Grumman F8F Bearcat designed for electric by Derek Micko (D-Rock on RCG) and the short kit was cut by Manzano Laser Works. I had unboxed the kit to admire, but I really need to finish up a build that has languished for several years before I start this one. We'll see how long my resolve lasts.
Sounds like a great next project! Sign me up for the build thread!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM
VincentJ

To take a line from one of my favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger movies "I'll be back"...well I am back, well, almost that is. Most all of my projects that make a house a home have been completed so I have been working in the basement building myself a brand new shop! It's not as large as I wanted, but it will do. Special attention has been given to placement of the electrical outlets and lighting. Walls have been framed, electrical wiring has been strung, insulation has been installed and all sheet rock has been hung!!! In the process of mudding and sanding, my least favorite of all jobs. As soon as that's completed I am going to construct a new build table. Work has slowed down, as it seems that I've been hit with some creeping crud that I've contracted from someone or something. So as soon as I feel better I'll be back at it.

I hope that I haven't lost all that have been following along. Even though I have been doing other things my heart and thoughts have never waned for this project. In fact during my absence, I have done extensive research on anything I could get my hands on relating to the one and only Morrisey Bravo built. It's no secret that the location of the Bravo is at the Airpower Museum in Ottumwa, IA. Since photos of views that I am interested in don't exist, I decided that it would be time for a road trip and check out the plane for myself. I called the museum to make arrangements for a viewing of the Bravo and I was shocked at what I was told. The plane has been disassembled and put in permanent storage so viewing of the plane would not even be possible. In fact the Bravo is up for sale! I guess I'm glad I called first!

So, along with all of the photos and literature that I have assembled, I will try my earnest to recreate my Bravo to as scale as I can reproduce. I also decided on what engine I would use for this project. I decided on a DA-50, which as you can see I bought...so stay tuned as this project is taken off the back burner and will soon be back!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6585.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2199767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6583.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	2199768  

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-05-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Melchizedek

Hi Vincent,
Welcome Back!!!!! ( in the Arnold vernacular of course)

I doubt if you have lost many. You certainly have not lost me. Your attention to detail and the cleanest of assembly's I have ever seen is a joy to behold.

I look forward to your installments. What a shame the full scale is not available. However, I know you will do it justice.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still here, too.

I'm also looking forward to viewing your progress. You always come up with something for me to plagerize. LOL
Old 02-05-2017, 05:14 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Me Too, just waitin'
Rich
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM
TCampbell

And there was much rejoicing! Looking forward to seeing you back on the board (and maybe at the field sometime?)...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.