Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 *81" Gold Edition Build Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 *81" Gold Edition Build Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Jack McC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Cessna 182 *81" Gold Edition Build Question

I am at the point of mounting an OS .91 FS. Sideways mounting, the needle valve is vertical and the adjusting pin will protrude through the top of the cowl. Mounting it upside down the pin will protrude through the side of the cowl. I have not been able to find the solution in the several build threads for this plane, and got tired of looking further. Do you just live with the pin through the cowl or is there another option?

This is my first build with a fuel model having done electrics in the past. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Jack
Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my Cessna about a year ago. I mounted my four stroke upside down with needle valve, high and low end, accessed through a hole in the side of the cowl. I like to get the engine tuned as well as possible after complete break in and do not use a needle valve extension which protrudes through the side of the cowl. I do this for looks. Once I get the engine set to where it runs properly, idle and wide open throttle, I leave it alone. Some folks like to adjust the needle valve every time that the engine is started. This shouldn't be necessary. On those rare occasions that a slight adjustment is necessary, I will try to do it by accessing the needle valve though the cowl hole.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Jack McC

Thanks for the comeback Jerry. I see many others adjusting the needle valve every time and wondered if they needed to do that. I suspect that a high quality motor should not need adjusted every time. What was the size of the hole you made in the cowl? Our local HS told me that sometimes you encounter a hydraulic lock in the fuel system upon start up with an inverted installation. Did you have any problem like that?

I plan to sell it upon completion as I belatedly realized I will not be able to transport a fuel powered plane in our family car. Electrics are no problem. I'm curious as to the price and condition of the plane you sold. If you prefer send me a pm with the info. I would appreciate it.

Again, thanks for the comeback, it was very helpful.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with hydro lock with an engine inverted. Tank placement is important. I've built of lot of planes with the glow engine mounted inverted. The cowl hole only has to be large enough to accommodate the tool that will pass through it, e.g., a slim tool with a flat blade screw driver.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Jack McC

I'm thinking of 90 degree mount and just making the 2 holes needed in the cowl. Could use a micro servo for the needle valve and an on board starter for the glow plug, but that adds another $50-75 to the build cost. Not sure its worth it. Going to mount the tank as shown on the plans, but use a 14 oz one. Other builders claim they have not had a problem with the sideways mounting. I have modified mine with a removable firewall to access the tank if necessary.

Scale build lessons: It takes lots time and patience; be prepared to spend more than you budgeted on your first scale build. Has been a really great project though and I am enjoying it thoroughly.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM
sylvaner

I'd like to see that removable firewall and how that would work. I have visions of the firewall removing itself during flight.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Jack McC

Hi sylvaner, I got this idea from one of the building threads for this plane. I modified it some more. I tend to over build and i don't expect the firewall to come off during flight. Here are some pics to explain how I did it. Hope this helps. View pics in reverse order. The motor mount will be attached to the removable firewall on top of the plywood mount with blind nuts and screws as well,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2022.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2067321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2067322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2020.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	2.23 MB