Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My very first Kit!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My very first Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:29 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would have liked to have edited this one and added some other vids to it but no time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPs2422tNIc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by el_xero; 02-19-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, that isn't too bad. I flew from a narrow crop duster field and over time managed to run into a concrete parking bumper then I hit a tractor by that bumper and had too many close calls with the chemical tanks, never hit one of those. This is one of the places I fly now, this is my Up-Roar on maiden day. 7 square miles of flat and several years ago I hit the only upright object out there, the frequency board. I hit it with a bipe and managed to knock one of the wings off.
I noticed all the palm trees around your field, those would be like flying around a magnet for me!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0127LBMaiden0001.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2074858  
Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 AM
el_xero

Default Boy! We know just what you mean!

Well of us know what you mean, all of us besides RN. Every one of us has parked something in some kind of a tree palm or other wise. And I too know the feeling of hitting the only object in site on an otherwise completely obstruction free landing strip. Magnet is the exact word we use to describe our planes wanting to move toward something like that.

I'll say this though, flying in these sorts of places sure do sharpen a pilots skills (not to mention grow his balls a bit)
We were looking at our approach last week. I agreed that it's not exactly easy. Normally the winds in that area are high and not inline at all with our runway. I've often found my self coming into the turn
and having to "over steer" to keep from being blown into a near by tree because of the cross wind then immediately correct for it to line up onto the runway once I've cleared the obstruction.
It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but I'm sure if I were a bit more green that very idea would creep me out enough to not bother flying there haha.

Oh but I'd love to fly in such a wide area like you've shown here! Having to stay way up high because of the trees really limits what you can do in there and we're left with mostly circles.
The most exciting part of the whole deal is always the landings. Sometimes we turn it into a bit of a competition.

Lucky you never hit those chemical tanks, something like that would probably stop us flying there. We tend to really be picky about where we fly and try to stay clear of buildings people and
any kind of installation. Methanol is no joke with fires man, hot stuff! haha.

I'd like to put up some more vids a bit later on.We'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Well, that isn't too bad. I flew from a narrow crop duster field and over time managed to run into a concrete parking bumper then I hit a tractor by that bumper and had too many close calls with the chemical tanks, never hit one of those. This is one of the places I fly now, this is my Up-Roar on maiden day. 7 square miles of flat and several years ago I hit the only upright object out there, the frequency board. I hit it with a bipe and managed to knock one of the wings off.
I noticed all the palm trees around your field, those would be like flying around a magnet for me!!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:38 AM
el_xero

You know, some people have mentioned the Dazzler being hard to land or that it lands hot with a .46 engine up front... I've not experienced that on mine. I felt it on my buddies uproar the few times I've landed it. I think it has more to do with the CG placement more than anything. I made sure my CG is right around 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" with and without the on board glow battery.
(recently removed it-and I have to say I prefer the way the plane handles with the battery on.. it's a bit like a feather in the wind without it I'm not so sure I like that I might put it back)
I honestly thing that the CG makes all the difference in being able to flare and slow that plane down on landing.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Gray Beard

A photo looking the other direction but neither of them is a total view of the lake bed. The problem is if you learn to fly there you have a big problem flying at an established field where you have to be able to land on a real runway. Most of the regular pilots can't go anyplace else because they can't spot land. If there is a cross wind they just swing there plane out and come in directly into the wind. It's a great place to fly though. There are dry lake beds all over the desert and I have flown off of several of them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0127LBMaiden0002.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2074947  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:24 PM
el_xero

While I totally agree with everything you're saying, and I really truly feel the same way about it. Flying in areas where you're restricted to and exact landing zone regardless
of wind direction does sharpen your skill.. I would still love a place like you've got to fly in! I mean look at all that stress free room to play around (*you never even need to worry about loosing and not being able to retrieve your plane due to bush large bodies of water tall trees or... yikes.. dangerous critters?) I know our guys over here would really love flying on a dry lake bed ha!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Gray Beard

My buddy Karol is in Jamaica and they fly from a Polo field. We also had a club in California that used a Polo field but I never flew from it. There big complaint was the horses tended to put a lot of bumps and clumps in the grass. Karol has never mentioned that to me though.
We did fly events from a sod farm and the rule there was you had to use a catch can or bottle on the pressure line and you had to use the run up area to start and take off from. They didn't want there high dollar grass to get burnt/poisoned from the fuel or exhaust.
My little joke when people send me photos from there nice fields is what is all that nasty looking green stuff??
Another good thing flying off a dry lake bed is when things fall off your plane like wheels and mufflers, we can usually find the parts. We just mark the spot and drive out to look.
Our clubs web site is EVflyers.com but some people have a problem finding it?? Lots of photos and videos. From the web sites I have seen ours is a very good one.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:10 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool... hope the damage was only the "dent" we see in the vid... It flys well... and that was in what looked to be a bit more then a breeze... There was stuff blowing around!! Congrats on a nice plane.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Gray Beard

And have fun with the wind, it's there to play with. I could get my Hots to stop and fly backwards if the wind was up. Rick uses it and comes in low and just cuts power and lands his planes at his feet. Sort of a Hairier landing. Depending on your radio I can tell you a couple of set ups to make it really fun.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM
el_xero

My buddy Karol is in Jamaica and they fly from a Polo field. We also had a club in California that used a Polo field but I never flew from it. There big complaint was the horses tended to put a lot of bumps and clumps in the grass. Karol has never mentioned that to me though.
We did fly events from a sod farm and the rule there was you had to use a catch can or bottle on the pressure line and you had to use the run up area to start and take off from. They didn't want there high dollar grass to get burnt/poisoned from the fuel or exhaust.
My little joke when people send me photos from there nice fields is what is all that nasty looking green stuff??
Another good thing flying off a dry lake bed is when things fall off your plane like wheels and mufflers, we can usually find the parts. We just mark the spot and drive out to look.
Our clubs web site is EVflyers.com but some people have a problem finding it?? Lots of photos and videos. From the web sites I have seen ours is a very good one.

I did check out your clubs website! looooots of great stuff on there and I see you guys have your own forum as well! sadly I just havn't had the time over the past couple of weeks for much websurfing (been working like a dog and just too dang tired) when I do get a day off I used it to catch up on some cousera courses I'm taking sigh.. I need to quit my job!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by DGrant
Very cool... hope the damage was only the "dent" we see in the vid... It flys well... and that was in what looked to be a bit more then a breeze... There was stuff blowing around!! Congrats on a nice plane.
oh yeah man that was it.. just a dent and the tail gear went wonky but some water with a hot iron and pliers fixed all that good. this one's built tough i'd say ha. Guess the mods did their job. Thanks to RN for the ideas heh.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:24 PM
el_xero

And have fun with the wind, it's there to play with. I could get my Hots to stop and fly backwards if the wind was up. Rick uses it and comes in low and just cuts power and lands his planes at his feet. Sort of a Hairier landing. Depending on your radio I can tell you a couple of set ups to make it really fun.
you know I think the extra weight really does make it handle that wind better. I took out the battery a couple weeks ago and went flying, sheeesh! It felt like a feather.. sure I loved the improved performance, but I really didn't appreciate having to relearn how to land the thing or being blown around in that wind especially on approach.. Seriously considering putting that glow battery back.
Running joke around here is that I like to fly stones... you know what? I think they are right!

oh and I'm using an airtronics rds8000 which I've modded to work with FrSky rx, to keep costs down hence the two antenna you're seeing in the video. Im all open to suggestions.

RN has the same radio soon to be modded also. He has his set up so that he can engage a mix where he has flaps and elevator engaged going opposite each other
(down flaps = up elevator) makes for a crazy tight loop...

I didn't bother putting any crazy mixes on mine. I'm happy with just having flaps.. though I really dont use them.. absolutely not needed not to mention freakish nose down when engaged haha its almost scary.

Last edited by el_xero; 03-02-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:09 PM
sunnybreeze

Guys here is a follow up of el_xero's excapades and others on youtube. Yes he is still around, so am I and ther rest of our small gang here in St. Lucia.
https://www.youtube.com/user/OyePressStart
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM
el_xero

Hi everone
I don't know if anyone is still subbed to this thread but on the off chance that some of you guys still are are, I thought I'd drop a link to my new thread in the crash rebuild section where I detail the rebuild process which "sunnybreeze" here undertook to get my GP Revolver air worthy again! Should be interesting do check it out if you're so inclined.
See yall there.

check it out here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...0-rebuild.html

Last edited by el_xero; 10-10-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Gray Beard

I'm not on RCU these days but I'm still around,just not in the Vegas area either. I'm back in Calif and haven't anyplace to fly so I'm also not building either. It was funny seeing that big bipe in my posted photos. When I moved I gave that scratch built away.
I still have my Roar and the Swoose. I have a lot of planes I kept in hope of finding a place to fly again.
it's almost summer and I plan on scratch building a copy of the Old Dumas Miss Thriftway Hydro Plane.
getting back into hunting didn't work out very well so I'm giving ocean fishing a try this week but my wife and I were always into trout fishing.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM
el_xero

I'm not on RCU these days but I'm still around,just not in the Vegas area either. I'm back in Calif and haven't anyplace to fly so I'm also not building either. It was funny seeing that big bipe in my posted photos. When I moved I gave that scratch built away.
I still have my Roar and the Swoose. I have a lot of planes I kept in hope of finding a place to fly again.
it's almost summer and I plan on scratch building a copy of the Old Dumas Miss Thriftway Hydro Plane.
getting back into hunting didn't work out very well so I'm giving ocean fishing a try this week but my wife and I were always into trout fishing.
You gave it away? That's a great gift, generous of you man! I love those pics especially that swoose. I still envy that massive 360 degree runway you had in Nevada. Who wouldn't kill for open space like that to fly in eh? lol
Old 05-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Gray Beard

When I got there 11 years ago it was still pretty much glow engines. Then DLE came out and the 30cc ruled the air. Then the planes got bigger and bigger. All ARFS but that just makes bigger easier.
now there are several jets out there.
I really liked building the big Bipe. It was just a pain to haul and didn't fly all that well. I only flew it at IMMA events.
I just didn't want to haul it back to California. I think I still have half dozen planes out in the shop.
one has never Flown! It is an original Hanger 9 Super Stick 60. I have an OS .91 four stroke in it. I took it out to fly and the guys said it would sell quicker if not Flown?
it was sold twice but I never saw any money so I still have it.