Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM
BBailey711

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Joe,
I can not be of help as I bought all my adhesives years ago and never had any issues. You may be right and, I don't know who the 2 manufactures are, but they definitely need to be contacted ... There's normally not enough room in a modeler's garage or building, let alone put a refrigerator.

BBailey
Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
Building either from a kit or scratch is a big part of the satisfaction one will get when it takes of and flies.. Just about anyone can assemble an arf.
Bingo. You assemble an ARF, you build a kit. But don't tell the jet guys that.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just used some Pacer Smooth and Easy that I haven't used since 2004 and the darn stuff still works!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Used some 5 YO Z-Poxy 30 minute stuff to glue the stab and fin on a *GULP* arf. Yeah, not a real built plane, but its a SIG. My other plane is still being worked on, SIG Biper Cub. Have many many hours left before it will fly. I saw the Somethin Extra and just had to have it, though I could have bought a kit and done that, but that takes too long. Have an itch to fly it this year
Old 08-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

I have taught many folks young and old how to build, cover and finish model airplanes...none of them stuck around into it. One must have a very certain passion for it. This is an art form that not many of us do anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	551.9 KB
ID:	2112413   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut3.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	608.8 KB
ID:	2112414   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut4.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	2112415   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut5.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	2112416   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ-Nstrut6.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	2112417  
Old 08-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago my son and I went on a bit of a road trip up in the Portland, Ore. area, we went through McMinneville and just on the outskirts of town Evergreen Aviation has one of the most beautiful Aviation Museums outside of the Smithsonian A & P that I have seen. It is huge and has not only outside displays but several large buildings and one of which has Howard Hugh's H1 Hercules (Spruce Goose) on display, can't miss it from the road as there on top of one of the buildings is a 747 mounted and used as a water-slide, all this in a pine forest setting and manicured lawns. The point of this is that the museum celebrates all forms of aviation including modeling, in the rear of the property is a very nice RC Park with a grass runway and inside one of the buildings next to the SR-71 the museum has reserved what is approximately a 2,000 square foot build shop that the local modelers have set up their own work stations, it is very well equipped with community power tools like drill presses, table saws, etc. and there are many models in various states of construction, the build shop I belong to reminds me a lot of this one minus all the really cool full size stuff. I'm here to say that building, not arfing, is alive and well in McMinneville, Ore. and Redding, Calif., may it only grow.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

most flyers are lazy now just arfs>>why cry over what is built and notit does not take me ove one month to build any model
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM
AERORICH73

HI FELLOWS: JUST GOT AROUND TO LOGGING INTO THE FORUM. WHILE WORKING FOR HORIZON AIRLINES, I JUST KEPT UP PURCHASING KITS BEFORE THE STOCKS RAN OUT. RETIRING IN 2000, MY SUPPLY OF KITS, ENGINES, AND EQUIPMENT. WATCHING THE HOBBY GO SIDEWAYS INTO A BLACK HOLE, BROUGHT OUT THE BRIGHT LIGHT OF SCRATCH BUILDING FROM PLANS. MY FIRST ONE WAS RANDY RANDOLPH'S "BEE-TWEEN" 1/2A MODEL. IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE HIGHSCHOOL WHEN FLYING THESE SMALL MODELS ON WIRES. I CAN SAY CUTTING OUT ALL OF THE PARTS TO FORM A KIT WAS REALLY A SATIFYING EXPERIENCE ALONG WITH COVERING THE WING WITH POLYSPAN MATERIAL SPRAYED YELLOW. WE ALL KNOW THAT BABIES TAKE SOME 9 MONTHS TO ARRIVE IN OUR ARMS, AND GIVES US A GREAT PRIDE IN WATCHING ONE GROW UP. THIS IS SOMEWHAT LIKE US BUILDING A MODEL FROM MATERIALS, AND SEE IT GROW INTO A LOVELY SHAPE CAPABLE OF FLYING UNDER OUR INPUTS. THE FACTORY CONSTRUCTED MODELS DO NOT IMPART THIS SORT OF FEELING TO ME AT ALL. YES, I PURCHASED SOME ARF'S WHEN BIDDING ON E-BAY. THE ONES I ASSEMBLED TOOK MORE TIME IN SOLVING INSTALLATION PROBLEMS FOR SERVO LOCATIONS AS WELL AS FOR BATTERY AND RECEIVER BUILDING FROM KITS CAN ALSO BRING OUT SOME, BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN CORRECT THEM BEFORE THE MISTAKE IS GLUED IN.

THERE ARE PLANS SERVICES TO FIND MODELS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUILD; SO TAKE SOME TIME TO SEARCH. I JUST RECEIVED A COUPLE OF ORDERED PLANS FROM THE AMA. UNFORTUNATELY, ONE MODEL SUGGESTS I CARVE OUT A FOAM WING FROM A BLOCK OF BLUE STUFF. NOW, I HAVE TO TAKE THE WING INFO, AND DRAW UP A CONSTRUCTION FOR BUILDING A WOODEN ONE. SO HERE IS ANOTHER SCRATCH BUILDING PROJECT TO LOOK FORWARD TO.

[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Aerorich-

I enjoyed your post but unfortunately it was displayed on my Ipad as all CAPS which normally translates into shouting on these forums. Maybe my Ipad is messed up or your CAPS LOCK was stuck.

Would also be easier to read if you broke it up into paragraphs for us.

Glad to meet a fellow builder!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM
BBailey711

Don't let anything stop you ... GO FLYING! I have 2 ARFs in my crowd of aeroplanes, one 15 yrs old and has never been flown ... BUT ... they are there if I have other problems like Radio, Engine, or if I ReKit some of my flyers. Even though my love is Scratch Built Scale, I'll fly and ARF before I sit inside. Nothing wrong with them, just a factory built them. And I find myself with a new love, "Parkflyers" or Foam Planes. What a concept! I have to learn all the jargon and how to do it first.

BBailey
Old 08-02-2015, 02:04 PM
FlyWheel

ARF/RTF brought an end to the need for any building skills.

Gyros and crash prevention software brought an end to the need for any flying skills.

So the uninitiated are finally right; they really are just "toy airplanes" now...
Old 08-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by FlyWheel

Gyros and crash prevention software brought an end to the need for any flying skills.

So the uninitiated are finally right; they really are just "toy airplanes" now...
Boy did you hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:08 PM
rick hamel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Took the words from my mouth
Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished a good old Hog Bipe kit Saturday. 106.75 hours total. Lots of fun to build but even more fun to fly!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	2112606   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	2112607  
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I flew with a tri axis once.......once. Ripped it out of the plane that night. Felt unnatural for the plane to right itself and straighten out. Gyros and flight correction do not a pilot make. There are builders/flyers, and there are the park weenies. The park things are great to start out on, but to really enjoy this hobby, building your own plane from a box of sticks, and then taking off and flying it is the bigger thrill!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Flyboywbl, that Hog Bipe is awesome. Have fun
Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 PM
tomgreen

I am building a 1/5 scale Cessna Bird Dog from RCM plan, # 1189, It's coming along well and will be powered by an OS 70 FS 4 stroke. Should be ready to fly by Oct. The weather will be cooler out here in Az.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Is it time to brag about projects yet? If so, can I join the party? At this time, I have the following builds going on:
Modified Sig Kadet Jr
1/8 scale 1973 Pay'N Pak unlimited hydroplane
1/8 scale 1985 Miss Executone unlimited hydroplane
1/8 scale 2000 Miss Elam Plus unlimited hydroplane
1/8 scale 2009 Oh Boy! Oberto unlimited hydroplane
and four Dumas hydroplane kit builds
Does this make me a builder or just flat out insane?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:40 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably insanity, I've got it too. I'm so bad that I've justified buying new planes/kits/arfs thinking it would jump start my building. I've put the kabash on buying anything new to get some control of this. So I'd guess you're pretty much like the rest of us.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The Apprentice has brought more people into this hobby than any other plane in recent years.
Example our club has about 6 or 7 new members this year. One young lady (young because she is 20 years my junior and I'm 72)
She refuses to TO in anything but Beginner mode and won't fly with out it in Intermediate mode. But U know what She's having fun. That's what's it's all about. ( her previous hobby was racing full scale Hydro Plane boats).A Couple others are old geezers (cause they are older than me. They will never break the proverbial Cord, but who cares they will never build a plane but they are having fun (I think). Then there the 3 young men that in a matter of a couple of week ends have outgrown the Apprentice at least for it's Stabilization. They were flying them in 12 to 18 MPH cross winds that ground most of us. Why because they didn't know they couldn't.
Again it about having fun and if building is your fun so be it. Please don't look down from your high and mighty because some one can't/doesn't build what they fly. Over the years the lack of pre-built models has discouraged more people from continuing in this hobby. They spent hundreds of hours building their first ever master piece and they come out and are told first they can't fly it here because they don't belong to the AMA or the club. Then some old Geezer (Builder)comes over and proceeds to rip on these people about how they have built a peice of crap.
I didn't mean to get on my soap box, But the hobby has many different facets and building is just one of them. Personally I hate building, Mainly because I'm not very good at it. If I could put it on a BridgePort and mill it and screw and dowel it well then maybe. I purchased USED. 2 Reasons It's less expensive by half, and I'm not as attached to them when the crash. So sorry if I stepped on any toes. Just realize there so many facits to this hobby and not every one cares for them all. It's all about what spins your won wheels.
Now I'm going out to the field and have fun flying. I Hope. Happy Landings to ya.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The Apprentice has brought more people into this hobby than any other plane in recent years.
Example our club has about 6 or 7 new members this year. One young lady (young because she is 20 years my junior and I'm 72)
She refuses to TO in anything but Beginner mode and won't fly with out it in Intermediate mode. But U know what She's having fun. That's what's it's all about. ( her previous hobby was racing full scale Hydro Plane boats).A Couple others are old geezers (cause they are older than me. They will never break the proverbial Cord, but who cares they will never build a plane but they are having fun (I think). Then there the 3 young men that in a matter of a couple of week ends have outgrown the Apprentice at least for it's Stabilization. They were flying them in 12 to 18 MPH cross winds that ground most of us. Why because they didn't know they couldn't.
Again it about having fun and if building is your fun so be it. Please don't look down from your high and mighty because some one can't/doesn't build what they fly. Over the years the lack of pre-built models has discouraged more people from continuing in this hobby. They spent hundreds of hours building their first ever master piece and they come out and are told first they can't fly it here because they don't belong to the AMA or the club. Then some old Geezer (Builder)comes over and proceeds to rip on these people about how they have built a peice of crap.
I didn't mean to get on my soap box, But the hobby has many different facets and building is just one of them. Personally I hate building, Mainly because I'm not very good at it. If I could put it on a BridgePort and mill it and screw and dowel it well then maybe. I purchased USED. 2 Reasons It's less expensive by half, and I'm not as attached to them when the crash. So sorry if I stepped on any toes. Just realize there so many facits to this hobby and not every one cares for them all. It's all about what spins your won wheels.
Now I'm going out to the field and have fun flying. I Hope. Happy Landings to ya.
This thread is to celebrate and encourage those who wish to kit/scratch build any model, primarily airplanes but boats seem to get accepted here as well and fly/sail same in traditional ungyroed/unstabilized manner relying on building straight, square and true models and honing our skills to enhance our fun factor, nothing more than just that. This is old school for sure, but some part of modeling that some of us old timers wish to see preserved. If we seem to look down or on a high horse on those that go to the hobby shop and buy an apprentice and fly around in 20 mph winds all day while we supposedly don't fly(not really true) then maybe that is because we really feel we are a notch over them and that is as it should be, the beginner's are given an example to hopefully aspire to, and that is nothing but healthy. The last couple of years I have seen several of those Apprentice pilots show up at the field and ogle someones scratch/kit built model and the next thing you know they are buying a bunch of balsa or a kit and off to work they go, yaaaa, modeling wins.Personally I think as you, that products like the Apprentice bring more folks into the RC community, unlike you I feel these same folks that stay at that level are maybe having fun, but are not really getting the most out of what modeling has to offer and not growing, and yes they are playing with toys. Just my humble opinion
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by Duncman
This thread is to celebrate and encourage those who wish to kit/scratch build any model, primarily airplanes but boats seem to get accepted here as well and fly/sail same in traditional ungyroed/unstabilized manner relying on building straight, square and true models and honing our skills to enhance our fun factor, nothing more than just that. This is old school for sure, but some part of modeling that some of us old timers wish to see preserved. If we seem to look down or on a high horse on those that go to the hobby shop and buy an apprentice and fly around in 20 mph winds all day while we supposedly don't fly(not really true) then maybe that is because we really feel we are a notch over them and that is as it should be, the beginner's are given an example to hopefully aspire to, and that is nothing but healthy. The last couple of years I have seen several of those Apprentice pilots show up at the field and ogle someones scratch/kit built model and the next thing you know they are buying a bunch of balsa or a kit and off to work they go, yaaaa, modeling wins.Personally I think as you, that products like the Apprentice bring more folks into the RC community, unlike you I feel these same folks that stay at that level are maybe having fun, but are not really getting the most out of what modeling has to offer and not growing, and yes they are playing with toys. Just my humble opinion
oh, and the guy that nit picks a model that a newbie built is not trying to discourage the guy/gal but rather to prevent an unsafe aircraft from endangering folks as well as preserving the newbies investment.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

here i am.i love working with balsa wood and building planes.there are builders around maybe not a lot but i can still find kit makers .and i can build from a set of good plans depending on the plane i choose,older patterns are really flying boxes as far as construction.and ww1 planes are fairly simple strightfoward construction.there are a number of short kits available where the more difficult pieces are already cut.u just buy the planking and accesories.yes myself and many others still build,i find it totally theraputic and when it maidens i still get nervous and excited as i did 35 years ago.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Default my latest...Rebuild on the evil spacewalker....136"

looks like tons of us are still around...lol

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2112709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2112710   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacewalker45 003.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	2112711  
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Removed by HD

Last edited by HoundDog; 08-03-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.